Bentwaters Aggressor F-16

49 minutes ago, Lord Riot said:

Thanks chaps!

@bentwaters81tfw thanks for that info, looks like I’ll have to find an aftermarket canopy then. That’s a shame.

And I really need to get to that museum one day!

I don't know if there are any differences between the A model and C model F-16 canopy but Rob Taurus produce an aftermarker vacform example.

Hope this helps.

• Thanks 1

The wheel bay looked a bit sparse so I added a few bits of wire and a sponge pad to represent the interior. It won’t be hugely accurate but it’s good enough for me and adds a bit of interest. 

1-F73-ED29-C257-465-C-AE19-D7322-EE091-C

B19-C64-EA-E991-4251-BD0-F-042-BB9649713

• Like 1

I cut the centreline pylon a bit shorter and filled the gaps with firm sponge, before adding some old etch for the underside part. I’ve only ever seen photos of 527th F-16s clean apart from this pylon and wingtip Sidewinder training rounds. I scratch built a little air scoop for under that side leading edge as the kit didn’t include one.

0-F00468-F-70-E5-43-EA-BDBE-E7-EE15-C8-A

Ready for spraying. I sprayed the fin separately as I think it’ll be easier for masking, etc when it comes to spraying the sides and underside. I’ll also mask the fin for the dark grey areas of it.

2-C22-E517-DB5-E-471-E-A503-C8-D55-AA874

And after spraying the dark grey …

F9498042-D435-4-A2-E-ACE8-86-F0-AB5-B8-E

I’ve been wondering whether to get an aftermarket jet pipe. This is the kit one, which I painted to see if it looks good enough.

8-F0-FB132-3453-4099-8-B83-DE6-ADC15-C2-

• Like 2

I looked for F-16 aftermarket exhaust nozzles a while back.  They seem surprisingly pricey given the number of kits out there & the engine and tail feather combinations.  That kit one looks pretty good to me

19 minutes ago, Lord Riot said:

I cut the centreline pylon a bit shorter and filled the gaps with firm sponge, before adding some old etch for the underside part. I’ve only ever seen photos of 527th F-16s clean apart from this pylon and wingtip Sidewinder training rounds. I scratch built a little air scoop for under that side leading edge as the kit didn’t include one.

0-F00468-F-70-E5-43-EA-BDBE-E7-EE15-C8-A

Ready for spraying. I sprayed the fin separately as I think it’ll be easier for masking, etc when it comes to spraying the sides and underside. I’ll also mask the fin for the dark grey areas of it.

2-C22-E517-DB5-E-471-E-A503-C8-D55-AA874

And after spraying the dark grey …

F9498042-D435-4-A2-E-ACE8-86-F0-AB5-B8-E

I’ve been wondering whether to get an aftermarket jet pipe. This is the kit one, which I painted to see if it looks good enough.

8-F0-FB132-3453-4099-8-B83-DE6-ADC15-C2-

Nice work on the spraying! However, you have used the wrong exhaust.  That one is the PW100, but the block 30 airframe you are building has the GE110 engine. Your photos of the kit parts show you have these parts ...it's the multi part exhaust. It's a very distinctive aspect of this airframe so something you want to get right.  Hope this helps. Ralph

• Thanks 1

49 minutes ago, Ralph said:

Nice work on the spraying! However, you have used the wrong exhaust.  That one is the PW100, but the block 30 airframe you are building has the GE110 engine. Your photos of the kit parts show you have these parts ...it's the multi part exhaust. It's a very distinctive aspect of this airframe so something you want to get right.  Hope this helps. Ralph

Thanks Ralph, it certainly does! I’ll try building those separate ones and see how it looks. Thing is, there’s nothing in the kit for the part behind those that joins the rear fuselage, the kit part I painted is all one piece.

Might end up having to splash out on one of those that @bar side suggested. Or can Aires one like in @Dads203’s superb build.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Lord Riot said:

Thanks Ralph, it certainly does! I’ll try building those separate ones and see how it looks. Thing is, there’s nothing in the kit for the part behind those that joins the rear fuselage, the kit part I painted is all one piece.

Might end up having to splash out on one of those that @bar side suggested. Or can Aires one like in @Dads203’s superb build.

Ah...sounds like you are missing the 'doughnut' ring. I am sure I have one spare in the parts box. Pm me if you like and I could mail it over. Ralph

• Thanks 1

New jet pipe, hopefully this one is correct for a block 30. Still needs more painting and weathering yet.

D8-BE011-F-027-D-4118-83-F9-3-C8-A0-B8-D

Darker grey areas masked and sprayed. Most photos show the demarcation lines as slightly wavy, so I’ve gone for that rather than perfectly straight. It looks untidy but that’s how it seemed to look in real life.

C6-BD7403-AB9-E-4228-A41-F-7-A2-AFC6-E37

• Like 2

A bit more detail on the jet pipe. Just need the doughnut now.

F667-B8-D9-74-FC-4587-A872-8-F6-CFADD2-C

Bagged up! The dark grey top and light grey undersides all sprayed, just need to do the medium grey sides.

4-FEFA4-F2-14-B3-4055-9173-35-CE32-B6558

• Like 2

9 hours ago, bar side said:

What jet pipe did you go with in the end?

It was actually in the kit on a spare sprue, but in separate pieces and marked as not required on the instructions. @Ralph said this is the one to use rather than the intended kit piece. 

3 hours ago, bar side said:

That’s a result then.  Looks good. I suspect mine is the wrong one but the only one in the Academy kit

F-16 jetpipes seem to be quite confusing, and whether to fit a big or small intake. I believe the combination for mine is the small intake and GE F110 jetpipe. I still need the ‘doughnut’ for the rear part of it though. Still contemplating getting the Aires set.

All major spraying done now and masking removed. It’s generally ok, the colours have taken well and not too much touching up needed.

EC862-AC6-F839-41-B1-BFB6-4-BA20-CC382-A

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Lord Riot said:

F-16 jetpipes seem to be quite confusing, and whether to fit a big or small intake. I believe the combination for mine is the small intake and GE F110 jetpipe. I still need the ‘doughnut’ for the rear part of it though. Still contemplating getting the Aires set.

All major spraying done now and masking removed. It’s generally ok, the colours have taken well and not too much touching up needed.

EC862-AC6-F839-41-B1-BFB6-4-BA20-CC382-A

Hallo there- sorry for not replying sooner but I do have the donut ring you need; will mail it to you tomorrow! Best, Raloh

• Thanks 1

No worries @Ralph, it’ll be a while until I’m ready for that bit anyway, still got missiles and undercarriage to do yet! Thanks for donating a spare, very much appreciated!

Regarding the wingtip rails, I was surprised to see most photos of 527th F-16s show them carrying training AIM-9s with all the fins. I was expecting they’d have mostly carried finless training rounds. I’m assuming I need to make them with blue bands for ‘inert’.

If the unit had ever got up to full a complement of aircraft (18?) does anyone think one of those may have included a two seat F-16D? Could be a subject for a ‘what if?’ one day perhaps …

Also, does anyone know if the unit had a stock of live missiles just in case those behind the iron curtain ever had any silly ideas?

3 minutes ago, Lord Riot said:

No worries @Ralph, it’ll be a while until I’m ready for that bit anyway, still got missiles and undercarriage to do yet! Thanks for donating a spare, very much appreciated!

Regarding the wingtip rails, I was surprised to see most photos of 527th F-16s show them carrying training AIM-9s with all the fins. I was expecting they’d have mostly carried finless training rounds. I’m assuming I need to make them with blue bands for ‘inert’.

If the unit had ever got up to full a complement of aircraft (18?) does anyone think one of those may have included a two seat F-16D? Could be a subject for a ‘what if?’ one day perhaps …

Also, does anyone know if the unit had a stock of live missiles just in case those behind the iron curtain ever had any silly ideas?

I don't think they ever did get to 18...they were only around as a unit for about a year  and I've never seen any evidence of a two seater among their number. I've seen them carrying grey Aim9 bodies with the rear fins but not the front if that's any help.

21 hours ago, Lord Riot said:

Had the Balloon gone up when the F-16s were at Bentwaters, they would not only have had 'Winders, but also a bucket of Instant Sunshine and tanks.

That was their secondary function, and don't forget, Hogs carried AIM 9s. The contents of 'Hot Row' were not cleared for Hog delivery.

• Like 1

Donut ring sprue now in the tender hands of the Royal Mail...should be with you tomorrow. There's some other blk 30 specific intakes on there as well, plus the afterburner face of the engine. Don't know if you have those...

20211028_102821

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Lord Riot said:

Thank you @Ralph! Those look excellent. The afterburner part looks very different in mine, a much smaller nozzle in the middle, which I’m now assuming is wrong?

Yes, the afterburner section on the sprue is the correct one for the GE110. Happy gluing!

Edited by Ralph
  • Thanks 1