Updated 20211012 E-3D Sentry retirement from RAF service after 30 years

canberraman

A Royal Parade, attended by HRH the Earl of Wessex, was held on September 28th at RAF Waddington to mark the retirement of the E-3D Sentry from RAF service.    

HRH the Earl of Wessex, an Honorary Air Commodore, reviewed the parade and was accompanied by Air Officer Commanding Number 1 Group, Air Vice Marshal Allan Marshall, and the NATO Airborne Early Warning and Control Force Commander, Major General Thomas Kunkel from the United States Air Force.

Officer Commanding 8 Squadron, Wing Commander Victoria Williams, was the parade commander for the event which saw a flypast by an 8 Squadron E-3D – ZH101 - callsign Solex 01, above the 8 Sqn personnel, veterans and invited guests. A backdrop to the parade was in the form of two other Sentries on static display (ZH103 and ZH106). 

The event also marked 30 years of RAF service for an aircraft which has seen extensive use during operations and with NATO. These operations range from counter narcotic drug operations in the Caribbean through to Operation Iraqi Freedom which saw the RAF Airborne Warning and Control System (AWACS) force clock up more flying hours in Iraqi airspace than all other RAF aircraft combined. More recently the aircraft was employed on Operation Shader in the fight against Daesh and on Operation Fortis which saw them directly supporting the UK Carrier Strike Group.

The retirement of the Sentry will see 8 Squadron relocated to RAF Lossiemouth where they will operate the E-7 Wedgetail which offers a significant stride forward in capability. For RAF Waddington, this is another important step as the next generation Royal Air Force takes shape at the Station. As for the retired Sentries, one aircraft has been purchased by the US Navy in support of its own E-6 fleet (ZH104), and it is understood talks are underway with at least one other foreign nation regarding possible resale.

img

img

8 Sqn personnel standing at ease behind OC, Wg Cdr Williams.

img

HRH The Earl of Wessex accompanied by Wg Cdr Williams.

img%5D

ZH101 conducted the first of a couple of flypasts.

img

img

img

img

img

img

img

img

img

ZH101 returning to Waddington following the earlier flypasts.

img

On display outside the 8 Sqn HQ building is Hunter FGA.9 XE620, representing the type flown by the sqn in the 1960s.

img

I delved back into my photo article to find images of 8 Sqn Sentries during the type's 30 year RAF career and wearing special commemorative markings. This picture shows ZH104 at RIAT 1995 when the sqn was celebraing its 80th anniversary.

img

Special fin markings celebrating the 90th anniversary of 8 sqn shown on this Sentry at Waddington in 2005. If anyone has an image of the 100th anniversary scheme 'special; from 2015 I'd love to add that to this feature!

Thanks for looking. C&C always welcome.

Mark

Edited by canberraman
New photos
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 8
  • Sad 3

Another vital capability bites the dust.......one which only recently supported CSG21 as it transitted through a high risk area, namely the Suez Canal and surrounding areas. Now of course any right thinking individual would ensure a smooth transition of our AEW from one platform to the next......but of course that won't actually be ready until 2023 at the earliest, with very limited availability via only 3 aircraft.....the lunatics are running the asylum!!

• Like 4

Another poorly managed programme by the MoD.

Has any other user retired their E-3s yet? We bought 7 and only 3 were available. 

Gapping capability is a gamble that will not always pay off. 

Don’t get me started on exiting the high intensity/peer on peer land capability.

• Like 3

Thank you  for these.  Lovely pictures but sad to see them go.  I have a 1:144 version, built while at GK, next to the souvenir "E-3D Rollout July 1989 " medallion.  Doesn't seem 32 years ago.  

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Scimitar F1 said:

Another poorly managed programme by the MoD.

Has any other user retired their E-3s yet? We bought 7 and only 3 were available. 

Gapping capability is a gamble that will not always pay off. 

Don’t get me started on exiting the high intensity/peer on peer land capability.

The MOD robs Peter to pay Paul and flushes millions down the drain every year. When you consider how much we actually spend, its a shockingly shameful demonstration of poor procurement and accounting 

• Like 2

I worked on those around 2000,i dont remember the Hunter,when was that obtained,does anyone know.I was up there 2 months doing radio mods.There was an excellent model shop which i spent an awful lot of time and money in lol.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, fatalbert said:

I worked on those around 2000,i dont remember the Hunter,when was that obtained,does anyone know.I was up there 2 months doing radio mods.There was an excellent model shop which i spent an awful lot of time and money in lol.

This Huinter is really XE606 which was on display outside the IV(AC) Sqn hangar at Cottesmore until that station closed in 2011. This left XE606 looking for another home which was found with 8 Squadron at Waddington. She has initially moved to Barkston Heath for a repaint and once that was done moved onwards to Waddington for a formal unveiling on 2nd June 2013 (replacing the Phantom that used to be on display).  XE606 is now marked up as XE620, the aircraft Sqn Ldr Tam Syme had as OC 8 Sqn from 1963 to 1965.

• Thanks 2

11 hours ago, TimB said:

Thank you  for these.  Lovely pictures but sad to see them go.  I have a 1:144 version, built while at GK, next to the souvenir "E-3D Rollout July 1989 " medallion.  Doesn't seem 32 years ago.  

Thanks Tim! I agree it doesn't seem possible that the RAF Sentry has been around 30 years.  I can still hear Shackletons if I close my eyes and reminisce!

12 hours ago, Alpha Delta 210 said:

Hi  Mark. Thanks for posting such a wonderful set of images from a truly significant event! 

Many thanks as ever Leigh, glad you found them worthwhile.  A sad and poignant day but one I'm glad I recorded for posterity.

13 hours ago, ColinChipmunkfan said:

Thank you for posting photos of this event, it is good to have t recorded. I remember them arriving at Waddington..

Colin

Thanks Colin, I too remember their arrival. Where on Earth has the last 30 years gone?!

18 hours ago, Evalman said:

Lovely selection. Such a shame they've been an increasingly rare sight in recent years.  

Thanks Evalman for the kind words and to you and everyone else for the likes and commentary - much appreciated!

Like others, so sad to see them go, but I guess we could say the same about so many types. Got to fly the sim at Waddo when first commissioned all those years ago. Great set of photos, thank you

SD 

• Like 1

• canberraman changed the title to Updated 20211012 E-3D Sentry retirement from RAF service after 30 years

I've managed to obtain a few more photos of when E-3D ZH101 returned to Waddington from Akrotiri, at the end of the type's last operational deployment on 4 August 2021. Here you go...

img

img

img

img

Thanks for looking.

Mark

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, PhantomBigStu said:

Sad to see the old girls go, lovely looking bunch and the wedge tail is one ugly beast  

Yep, sad times indeed and the Wedgetail is certainly no looker! Mind you some people said the same about 8's previous platform, the Shack AEW.2, but not me :)

Mark

• 2 weeks later...
52 minutes ago, bentwaters81tfw said:

As I type, ZH101 is overhead Thetford at 28,000.

I understand that although 8 has stood down from operational taskings pending reformation on the E-7 Wedgetail at Lossiemouth, ZH101 is still being kept airworthy for crew currency, and in the event of possible future resale.  

Mark

On 10/20/2021 at 7:25 PM, canberraman said:

I understand that although 8 has stood down from operational taskings pending reformation on the E-7 Wedgetail at Lossiemouth, ZH101 is still being kept airworthy for crew currency, and in the event of possible future resale.  

It was out and about for much of today drawing repeated circles in the sky centered over Perthshire , again as 'Solex 01' , possibly working with Hawks 'Aggressor 01 and 02' over the Firth of Forth and north along the east coast of Fife and Angus.

26 minutes ago, Des said:

It was out and about for much of today drawing repeated circles in the sky centered over Perthshire , again as 'Solex 01' , possibly working with Hawks 'Aggressor 01 and 02' over the Firth of Forth and north along the east coast of Fife and Angus.

The question has to be asked.....are we actually keeping ZH101 airworthy in case we actually need her? If these aircraft have been retired, what is she doing actually working with other RAF aircraft?

• Confused 1