Desert Hurricane, 274 Sqn Egypt 1941

Hi all

I have been working on this lovely kit and here are the results.  Built out of the box with the exception of some Eduard PE seat belts.  Brush painted with Humbrol enamels. Weathering was done with an oil paint was and weathering powders and pencil.

Quite pleased with this. 

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Sorry about the photos, tried to get better light but weather turned. 

Thanks for looking

Chris

• Like 65
  • Thanks 2

Chris,

That is lovely work. The finish and weathering are exceptional, and all the more so for being brush painted. Congratulations my friend - your talents have no bounds,

Cheers,

Roger

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Dunny said:

Chris,

That is lovely work. The finish and weathering are exceptional, and all the more so for being brush painted. Congratulations my friend - your talents have no bounds,

Cheers,

Roger

Thanks Roger, very kind of you fella. I was a bit concerned about the squiggles being a bit big, but am pleased with it overall.  Thanks for your support as ever, very much appreciated. 

Chris

• Like 1

Hi Chris,

this is outstanding!

I use the same weapons: a brush and Humbrol enamels, and I dare say you know how to obtain a top result with them.

Congratulations!

And what's not to like with a Hurricane in desert camo?

JR

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Vince1159 said:

Lovely build and photo's,love the last one looking down into the cockpit...

Thanks Vince, very kind, I like that last shot too.

4 hours ago, Tbolt said:

Great looking Hurricane. You've got some great hand brushing skills 👍

Thanks Tbolt, I love the painting stage most of all, the only thing you can't do brush-painting is pre shading.

3 hours ago, russ c said:

Really nice desert Hurricane, great job

Thanks Russ very kind

2 hours ago, 28ZComeback said:

Beautiful work!! 

Thanks 28ZComeback very kind too

2 hours ago, Tokyo Raider said:

Chris-  That is very very impressive!  I have that kit in the stash and wow, you made it stunning!  Very interesting cammo and very well done weathering!

Great Work!

Thanks Tokyo Raider, very kind of you.  You will enjoy the kit, it goes together very well indeed  cockpit assembly is fantastic OOB

2 hours ago, jean said:

Hi Chris,

this is outstanding!

I use the same weapons: a brush and Humbrol enamels, and I dare say you know how to obtain a top result with them.

Congratulations!

And what's not to like with a Hurricane in desert camo?

JR

Thanks Jean, very kind of you, love the scheme and the painting is my favourite bit, it is very therapeutic,  I love using a brush too.

44 minutes ago, binbrook87 said:

That's a stunner.... your brush painting skills are to be admired! I can't get that level of finish with an airbrush 😮

Thanks binbrook87, I do find the painting by brush the best part, using an airbrush would scare me, so I admire the users of such a thing and one day I might have a go!!!

Thanks all for your very kind and generous comments. 

Chris

• Like 2

Great model. I like how you weathered it because it looks very well studied and rendered. I guess you studied pictures of the real aircraft.

Congrats,

best regards,

Dan

• Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, Dstream said:

Great model. I like how you weathered it because it looks very well studied and rendered. I guess you studied pictures of the real aircraft.

Congrats,

best regards,

Dan

Thanks Dstream for you kind comments,  I generalised on the weathering from previous Hurricanes built,  I did add some powder as dust for this one too though.

37 minutes ago, wellsprop said:

Beautiful! 

Thanks Wellsprop very kind

Thanks guys for your kind words. 

Chris

Great looking model. I am impressed how you achived such a paint job and especially the soft demarcation between the colors with an brush.

I know that the exact color of the squiggles was a hotly debated topic on BM some time ago and the true colors might never be known. How did you decide on the colors you used? I am just asking because I thought about building a "spaghetti"-Hurricane myself but couldn't make up my mind about the colors.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, bigbadbadge said:

Thanks binbrook87, I do find the painting by brush the best part, using an airbrush would scare me, so I admire the users of such a thing and one day I might have a go!!!

I used to love brush painting but think that it works better with enamels like you show admirably here. Acrylics never gave me the desired effect so i went out and bought an airbrush. It has its downsides (like masking and cleaning!)...but the end results can be great.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, tonyot said:

Superb mate,....... what a cracking Hurricane! You have surpassed yourself there pal.

Cheers

Tony

Thanks Tony, very kind and glad you like it  that means a lot, thanks fella. 

1 hour ago, Murewa said:

Awesome! 😁👍 It really is a lovely kit that hurricane! 

Thanks Murewa, very kind, yes it's a fantastic kit and a joy to build.

1 hour ago, keefr22 said:

Really cracking Hurricane Chris, excellent paintjob and weathering!

Top job! :thumbsup:

Keith

Thanks Keith, very kind as usual fella. I am pleased with it.  Thanks for supporting along the way.

1 hour ago, mackem01 said:

Excellent job, wish my brushing was like that.

Thanks Mackem  very kind.  I brush painted out of necessity and now really enjoy it, just thin the paint slightly and you get a smooth finish , I use a wide flat brush. 

46 minutes ago, Doc72 said:

Great looking model. I am impressed how you achived such a paint job and especially the soft demarcation between the colors with an brush.

I know that the exact color of the squiggles was a hotly debated topic on BM some time ago and the true colors might never be known. How did you decide on the colors you used? I am just asking because I thought about building a "spaghetti"-Hurricane myself but couldn't make up my mind about the colors.

Thanks Doc  very kind too.   The demarcation lines are easier than you might think  I use unthinned to start and get most off the brush and work your way along your intended line and work the brush backwards and forwards along the line and the paint has a soft edge, it takes some practice but is very satisfying. 

Airfix provide info to say either Aluminium backround or sand and I liked the look of the Aluminium backround with the colours Airfix suggested.  To me it just looked right.  Although thinking about it the sand would possibly be more correct !!!

52 minutes ago, binbrook87 said:

I used to love brush painting but think that it works better with enamels like you show admirably here. Acrylics never gave me the desired effect so i went out and bought an airbrush. It has its downsides (like masking and cleaning!)...but the end results can be great.

Ah yes , I don't get on with acrylics at all, I tried brushing on Tamiya acrylics years ago and kept lifting the paint previously laid down,  enamels are far more forgiving for me.  I don't have anywhere I can spray indoors, just the garage, too cold in the winter!!!

47 minutes ago, Jonners said:

That's brush painted? Wow! Superb, Chris.

Jon

Thanks Jonners very kind fella, hope you're keeping well and staying safe. How's that lovely motor too?

24 minutes ago, stevehnz said:

That is a stunna Chris, your brush work is sublime, the softish edge on those colour demarcations would be difficult to get with an airbrush let alone a hairy stick, I'm in awe. :)

Steve.

Thanks Steve,  very kind fella   the demarcation work took some practice but isn't as hard as you might think , see further up this post.  The airbrushing would be difficult for me as not used one yet!!! Strange really  I have sprayed a couple of cars yet the thought of spraying a small model would be scary!!!

Thanks everyone for your lovely comments. 

Chris

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1