A&AEE Britannia

Here's my 1/144 F-RSIN Plastic Britannia built as Britannia 312F XX367 of the A&AEE using 26 Decals, which I've just finished in the Bristol Aeroplane Company group build. Build thread is here.

This kit had been sitting in a not-often-visited corner of the stash for a few years, and I hadn't really been planning on building it. My Dad had given it to me for Christmas, and I hadn't been in a hurry to build it - it's not exactly a beautifully moulded kit! But Dad passed away on 3 July and, with the Bristol group build going on at the time, it seemed like the right kit to build. Dad would have liked me to use the BOAC decals that were included in the kit, and that was the plan until they turned out to be pretty terrible decals, which prompted a hasty repaint to allow me to use these 26 Decals that I'd had in the stash for a while. Built OOB, the kit is fairly crude but builds up into a nice enough representation of the Britannia. With a bit more time and effort I think it could be built into a good model. But I think I'll use the Roden kit next time!

1/144 Britannia

1/144 Britannia

1/144 Britannia

1/144 Britannia

1/144 Britannia

thanks for looking

Julian

• Like 45
  • Thanks 2

I bet your Dad would have been over the moon to see what you have done there. Front and centre for the display shelf. 

Great job on what I understand is a less than stellar mould. Makes it all the more special imho. Bravo  👏 and take a bow

Now that Roden kit for an encore perhaps ? :whistle:

• Thanks 1

Hallo

Perfect!

This is such a good looking airliner.

In my childhood in Austria, I remember the one crashed at Innsbruck....

Would like to build some, but in 72, there is none.

Built many in 1/33 from paper.

The Viscount twice..

Happy modelling

• Thanks 1

That’s a stunner! Beautiful finish and what a fantastic subject. I actually remember this flying into Woodford once back in the 80s. It was huge! I’d love one on 1/72 though. 

• Thanks 1

Excellent result Julian, thanks for sharing.

In a sense you have built a BOAC Britannia since XX367 was originally G-AOVM which flew with BOAC from 1958 until 1964!

I've built both the F-RSIN and Roden Brits and they each have their good and bad points. Roden offer "mainstream" moulding quality and transparent windows for those who want them but their engines and props are a bit of a pain and they omit some details which F-RSIN get right. It's very much a case of swings and roundabouts.

Dave G 

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Duncan B said:

Despite the kit's failings you have produced a beautiful looking model of a very fine looking aircraft.

Duncan B

I wholeheartedly agree! Condolences to you and your family. 

• Thanks 1