Dewoitine D.510 in World War 2

2996 Victor

Hi All,

First of all, I do realise that with it's open cockpit and fixed undercarriage this is a distinctly pre-War type :) but please bear with me!

I've been doing some web searches on the D.500/501/510 series, and it seems that some of the later examples of these aircraft lasted in second line and regional units into the early part of WW2: there is a photograph of a D.510 wearing Armistice white fuselage stripes.

Good old Wikipedia says:

At the start of the conflict, significant numbers of D.510s were still in operation with three Groupes de Chasse (Fighter Groups), two Escadrilles Régionale de Chasse (Regional Fighter Squadrons in North Africa), and two Escadrilles de Aéronautique Navale (Naval Aviation Squadrons).[1] The type was normally tasked with the air defence of areas behind the front line, such as cities and industrial areas.[2] During November 1939, in Morocco, North Africa, a single escadrille of D.510s (ERC571) was activated despite these planes lacking cannon. During May 1940, this escadrille merged with ERC 573 to form GC III/4. This groupe was disbanded by the end of August 1940. At Dakar, one groupe designated GC I/6, remained in service until being replaced by Curtiss H-75s at the end of 1941.[citation needed]

It would be interesting to learn more about the GC I/6 aircraft - a D.510 wearing full Vichy markings is intriguing!

Definitive information, however, seems to be a bit thin on the ground. I have on order a copy of Aero Journal No.40, but I would like to ask my fellow BMers if they are aware of any other good sources of information that may not have made it from printed to digital?

Thanks in advance for any pointers!

Cheers,

Mark

• Like 1

No. 13 in the excellent compact French-language "Les Ailes de Gloire" series covers the D.500 - 501 - 510 series very well. It has a history of wartime 510's (no combat or Vichy markings it seems) and three nice color profiles from 1940:

D.500 of CIC (training unit) at Etampes

D.510 of ERC 573 at Rabat, Morocco

D.510 of CIC at Montpellier-Frejorgues

Also a wide selection of other profiles, interior details, nice 1/48 drawings (as a loose fold-out insert), and quite thorough coverage of Chinese 510's against the Japanese. 

Edited by MDriskill
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, MDriskill said:

No. 13 in the French-language "Les Ailes de Gloire" series covers the D.500 - 501 - 510 series very well. It has a history of wartime 510's and three nice color profiles from 1940:

D.500 of CIC (training unit) at Etampes

D.510 of ERC 573 at Rabat, Morocco

D.510 of CIC at Montpellier-Frejorgues

Also coverage of Chinese 510's against the Japanese. 

Hi,

Many thanks for this, it's hugely appreciated.

Being a bit of a luddite and preferring a tangible book, I've managed to track down a new copy of Les Ailes de Gloire No.13, although it does seem to be available for download.

The ERC573 aircraft seems to be a subject on an LF Decals sheet, which is interesting.

Hopefully that and Aero Journal No.40 will arrive in a week or so!

Thanks again and best regards,

Mark

The full Vichy painting was applied I thing right after the Syria war between Vichy and Britain in June-July 1941, so perhaps in August or September 1941, not earlier. During the Syria campaign only yellow tails and engines were used and full "pyjama strips" were the next step. So to have full Vichy colors the D510 should stay in service till this time. I am not sure if they really stayed that long.

Here is decal set for D 510 in Africa 1940

https://www.super-hobby.com/products/Dewoitine-D.510-over-France-39825314.html

Of course there are photos of D510, but also even older D501 or D500 among machines (mostly destroyed) taken in 1940 campaign (or right after it)  in homeland France, 

Regards

J-W

• Like 2

7 hours ago, MDriskill said:

I'd be very interested to know the source of either hard-copy or digital versions of the "Les Ailes de Gloire" series. They are excellent and the D.510 issue is actually the only one I have!

I found "my" copy on eBay, but if I come across a source of hard copies I'll let you know. I'll find the digital copies and post a link.

Cheers,

Mark

58 minutes ago, JWM said:

The full Vichy painting was applied I thing right after the Syria war between Vichy and Britain in June-July 1941, so perhaps in August or September 1941, not earlier. During the Syria campaign only yellow tails and engines were used and full "pyjama strips" were the next step. So to have full Vichy colors the D510 should stay in service till this time. I am not sure if they really stayed that long.

Here is decal set for D 510 in Africa 1940

https://www.super-hobby.com/products/Dewoitine-D.510-over-France-39825314.html

Of course there are photos of D510, but also even older D501 or D500 among machines (mostly destroyed) taken in 1940 campaign (or right after it)  in homeland France, 

Regards

J-W

Thanks for this J-W! I wasn't sure about the Vichy marking timeline but that's extremely interesting although it sounds like the pyjama stripes are at best extremely unlikely! The yellow cowling/tail would be an intriguing scheme nonetheless.

The LF Models decal set is the one I'd seen - thanks for the link!

Cheers,

Mark

• Like 1

On 10/2/2021 at 11:10 PM, 2996 Victor said:

Good old Wikipedia says:

At Dakar, one groupe designated GC I/6, remained in service until being replaced by Curtiss H-75s at the end of 1941.[citation needed]

That's pretty much all that the AJ article says on the subject too

• Thanks 1

Please dont put this site into potential problems by putting links into threads to download copyrighted material.

If as was said the legality of something is doubted then it has no place here.