My first attempt at an AFV - Hobbyboss 1/35 Sd.Kfz.211 Panzerspahwagen

I've never built any models other than aircraft and know the square root of zero about AFV's or the modelling of them.  My good friend @Gavin Stewart makes lots of them, and challenged me to build one.  He supplied me with one of these:

spacer.png

In return, I sent him something that's out of his comfort zone, an Eduard Spitfire mkIIa, to build. 

I have no idea what I'm doing, no knowledge of the vehicle or any awareness of foibles of the kit or what have you, so it' s journey into the unknown.  The paint is yet to arrive so I'm a bit stalled until it arrives, but I got started today and have made it this far:

spacer.png

If anyone has any advice to share then I'm all ears!

Thanks,

Jackroadkill

• Like 9

Just now, jackroadkill said:

Feel free - just don't expect miracles!

I will ...........expect miracles that is ......PMA....positive mental attitude mate envisage a work of art and make it so.... you know you can do it :D 

• Haha 2

Welcome to the gentlemanly side of the hobby.

Never built one so can't help much there unfortunately but I'll tag along with interest. 

Some folk do like to assemble everything first and paint later however I'd go, as you appear to be, for the modular approach and paint sub-assemblies as you go along on something like this.

Good luck

Darryl 

• Thanks 1

Will take a seat as well this looks an interesting project.

It's a personnel thing as regards painting as you go or build it then paint it as an aircraft builder you are probably more used to painting as you go.

Best of luck and enjoy the build.

Stay safe        Roger  

• Thanks 1

And hopefully, it won't be your last. It looks to be a good subject for a first outing, so good luck with it. Sorry that I can't offer any help with it as it's way off of my interest area, but there are bound to be some on here who can help. Have fun.

John.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Jasper dog said:

Welcome to the gentlemanly side of the hobby.

Never built one so can't help much there unfortunately but I'll tag along with interest. 

Some folk do like to assemble everything first and paint later however I'd go, as you appear to be, for the modular approach and paint sub-assemblies as you go along on something like this.

Good luck

Darryl 

@jackroadkill don't listen to him he's evil and will lead you too ruin...... six inch emulsion brush and a pot of colour matched Dulux will do just fine.....or for speed just dip said model straight in the tin of paint and save the six incher for the figures.

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, Bullbasket said:

And hopefully, it won't be your last. It looks to be a good subject for a first outing, so good luck with it. Sorry that I can't offer any help with it as it's way off of my interest area, but there are bound to be some on here who can help. Have fun.

John.

This guy is also a bit dodgy...wide berth nudge nudge wink wink say no more :D

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, M3talpig said:

@jackroadkill don't listen to him he's evil and will lead you too ruin...... 

1 hour ago, M3talpig said:

This guy is also a bit dodgy...wide berth nudge nudge wink wink say no more :D

Says the young Turk that rocks up once every six months lobs a grenade into the room and scarpers!

You'll find his little kitty after being dipped in the afore mentioned dulux elsewhere in this section....

Nuf said!

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

After waiting what seemed like ages for some paint to arrive I've started getting the airbrush to the bits I've built already.  This is only half done - they need flipping over and their other sides doing, but that'll be a job for tomorrow, I reckon.  I had some annoying airbrush issues which, although now sorted, made the job longer and more finicky than I'd have hoped.

spacer.png

spacer.png

Hopefully I can crack on a bit now and get some more of the building done - it doesn't feel like I've made a proper start yet.

Cheers,

JRK

• Like 8

10 hours ago, jackroadkill said:

After waiting what seemed like ages for some paint to arrive I've started getting the airbrush to the bits I've built already.  This is only half done - they need flipping over and their other sides doing, but that'll be a job for tomorrow, I reckon.  I had some annoying airbrush issues which, although now sorted, made the job longer and more finicky than I'd have hoped.

Well i have to say that the dulux came out very well indeed......airbrush ya say......problems .....that's why i said six inch hairy stick or dipping lot less agro:D seriously comin along well...are you gonna try your hand at weathering? :hmmm:

I spent a couple of very frustrating hours yesterday fighting with the running gear, suspension and transmission, during which I cursed, threatened and sliced my fingertip with a scalpel.  I'd been hoping to give an update but by the time I'd wrangled things into shape I was ready to throw myself off a tall building, so I decided to leave it until today.  The majority of the above is done now, and fitted to the chassis, and the dampers, upper wishbones, hubs and half-shafts, steering gear, radiator mount and front bumper are painted and drying off.  I also sprayed the inner hull and upperworks white, adding a bit of modulation to stop it looking weird.

So, any comments or suggestions (apart from the one about taking up golf, obviously) are welcome.  This time yesterday I hated this kit but today I'm a bit happier.

spacer.png

spacer.png

Cheers,

JRK

• Like 7

Great to hear you'll be treating it to a spot of weathering, always brings out the best in a model. (Just remember there's no such thing as over weathering as some numptys say :winkgrin:, it's just good or bad weathering!).

Think we've all been at the love/hate stage with most kits, I have :whistle:.

All that said progress is progress and applying paint is definitely going in the right direction! :frantic:

Atb

Darryl 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

A small update again tonight; after a good bit of fighting I've finished the chassis, running gear, steering and suspension.  I'd be lying if I said it was easy, but we got there with only one casualty (a half-shaft, which was salvaged by some judicious use of tube glue - I've used more of it on this model than all the others I've built in the last 18 months!) and a wee bit of cursing.  I also sprayed the interior fixtures white.  Presumably they'll want some colour on them here and there, too, so some research is in order.

spacer.png

As you can see here there's a wee bit of touching up needed next time I have some Panzergrau in the airbrush.  Hopefully this will be soon as I have the exterior surfaces of the doors to do, as well as the inside of the engine bay.

spacer.png

Assorted white stuff ready to go inside once dry.

Thanks,

JRK

• Like 6

Have managed a bit more airbrushing today, in a sea of Panzergrau.  I'll be the first to admit that the picture isn't going to be a well of inspiration for anyone (unless they really like dark grey plastic things against dark grey backgrounds) but I'm making some progress.  Some of these doofers need painting on their reverse sides before being affixed but I think we're much nearer to the time when the vehicle will begin to take shape.

spacer.png

I still need to do some more research about the colours of things on the inside of the hull, so I'll try and get that underway this afternoon.  Any tips in this (or any other area) will be very gratefully received.

Cheers,

JRK

• Like 5

Probably don't need to mention this but for me, if you start with painting straight panzer grey the model can look really dark by the time its weathered. You can lighten  it after but my preference is to start lighter than it needs to be.

That said the chassis is assembled and if all four corners touch the ground then that's a win in my book! :like:

Atb

Darryl 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Jasper dog said:

Probably don't need to mention this but for me, if you start with painting straight panzer grey the model can look really dark by the time its weathered. You can lighten  it after but my preference is to start lighter than it needs to be.

Yes, it's pretty dark, but there's a plan to lighten it up later.  I'm learning as I go with this one, and one of the things I've learned so far is that Panzergrau is very dunkel grau indeed!

7 hours ago, Jasper dog said:

That said the chassis is assembled and if all four corners touch the ground then that's a win in my book! :like:

I must confess to being slightly amazed by this myself, if I'm honest.

• Like 1