Focke Wulf Fw190F-8, 'Yellow 14'

Hi all

This is my take on Fw190F-8 'Yellow 14' of SG2 - or SG10 (I don't think anyone is certain which), photographed at the war's end, standing on its nose in a scrap dump at Neubiberg.  

I had the usual and well-documented nightmares with the early Eduard kit, but most of the problems can be overcome with plasticard and/or filler.. ;) I also used the kit decals, which mostly went on pretty well.  Rather strangely, the kit did not come with the outer wing SC50 racks which are clearly fitted in the original pics (and are also pictured on the box art), but I had similar items in the spares box, so used those.  Anyway, hope you like..

RULAvho.jpg?1

SRPCNw7.jpg?1

fJhzLEz.jpg

u0VM1bq.jpg

puqkbOV.jpg

uDljrfI.jpg?1

OYUnQW9.jpg

gAddbvM.jpg

C8ZYvAA.jpg?1

• Like 29
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, jackroadkill said:

Another belter, Werdna.  Which kit was it, by the way?

Cheers Jack - it was the old 'weekend' kit, 84111.  Took more than a flippin' weekend though... ;) 

• Thanks 1

Hi Werdna,

you made a real gem out of it.  Very nice and convincing. 

Maybe one of the next on my workbench. Never build an Eduard Fw-190 until today. Which colors did you use?

Keep on….

Cheers 

Andy 

1 hour ago, Werdna said:

Cheers Jack - it was the old 'weekend' kit, 84111.  Took more than a flippin' weekend though... ;) 

That's the bunny - I've got the 2007 ProfiPack version in my stash.  The one that you're supposed to build with the guts hanging out...

1 hour ago, Andy Dyck said:

Hi Werdna,

you made a real gem out of it.  Very nice and convincing. 

Maybe one of the next on my workbench. Never build an Eduard Fw-190 until today. Which colors did you use?

Keep on….

Cheers 

Andy 

Thanks Andy :) 

I guessed the colours as RLM81 dark green and RLM75 for the fuselage uppers (for which I used Vallejo camo green for the 81 and my own mix for 75).  For the wings, I used the same 81 green, but the grey in the period pics looked a lot lighter than 75, so I used Vallejo medium sea grey, which comes out a fair bit lighter than 75.  The light blue on the sides and underneath is just regular Vallejo RLM76. 

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, jackroadkill said:

That's the bunny - I've got the 2007 ProfiPack version in my stash.  The one that you're supposed to build with the guts hanging out...

Yep - the weekend kit is basically the same, but without the 'extras' like paint masks and PE - all the innards are still there unfortunately.  

5 minutes ago, Werdna said:

the innards are still there unfortunately

Ha!  I bought the kit after blithely assuring myself that I'd just do it with the bonnet open; now having a few more modelling miles behind me I'm not so sure!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, jackroadkill said:

Ha!  I bought the kit after blithely assuring myself that I'd just do it with the bonnet open; now having a few more modelling miles behind me I'm not so sure!

I think Eduard are slowly getting their heads around the notion of leaving all that 'excessive interior detail' stuff to the aftermarket suppliers.  Having said that, I've still got a couple of these left to build (the A-9 profipack and the D-9 weekend) - after that, I'll try to avoid accumulating any more of them ;)

• Haha 1

Great build. BTW the later boxing is simplified and doesn't include the engine  but its a new tool from 2017, knowing Eduard they would have corrected a few things.

I'd build one again though it's still a good build and easier the second time around. 

Edited by Walter
  • Like 1