32nd Scale Hasegawa P-47D - Little Bunny

Just some random pictures of my ongoing build.   Subject is "Little Bunny" based in Italy at the end of the war.   It's got some interesting colors, it was an ex-Brazilian machine and when the US took possession of it, they used fresh Olive Drab to paint out all the Brazillian insignia and unit markings.    Over a very faded and weathered OD base coat, this made for a pretty unique look.

Here's the original (I disagree with the conclusion below that the other color is RAF Dark Green):

tOEjcKw.jpg

Since Little Bunny was based on a pretty primitive dirt strip and subjected to the harsh Italian summers and winters for over a year, she was definitely showing signs of wear and tear.   I did my best to replicate this.

Cockpit is MDC's amazing resin / PE set. 

x48PI00.jpg

VwXGVk2.jpg

Engine is from True Details, a quick (and cheap) upgrade over the basic kit one.   I didn't spend any time painting / detailing aft of the first bank of cylinders, nothing would be visible.

fCW3DVy.jpg

Wheel bays are typically the filthiest part of an aircraft.   I added all the hydraulic lines and then a bunch of grime.

YkE1ldB.jpg

Painting starts:

bVOXCqo.jpg

I added the brake lines to the LG legs and Barracuda's fantastic resin wheels.   I also added the hydraulic lines to the inner gear doors, along with the characteristic soot from the nearby exhaust stack. 

Spk8B16.jpg

7Rpfloi.jpg

Much more to come, especially on the weathering side.  These aircraft were filthy.   

John  

• Like 11

Next set of pictures.    Weathering continues, especially on the underside.    I used a mix of oil washes, Florey Washes (great stuff BTW), a silver artists pencil and pastels.   I tried to accurately replicate the 1,000 lb bombs.  Nothing more amusing than a hard working combat vet from WW2 with immaculate bombs.   Most bombs were simply dumped into the dirt / mud at massive "bomb dumps" before getting assembled and mounted on the aircraft. 

Only part of the bombs that were typically immaculate were the tailfins which were stored separately. 

RUc4tRX.jpg

Just need to add the arming wires. 

pM5oR0T.jpg

75 gal drop tank is from the Tamiya Mustang kit. 

QhtqP2M.jpg

Q7zos52.jpg

EJ2LsQ6.jpg

OuqoPpo.jpg

kb4DXI3.jpg

SdgJDFS.jpg

• Like 10

• 2 weeks later...

Added a 75 gal centerline tank from the Tamiya Mustang kit.   Added a bunch of cables and bits to try to replicate the emergency jettison system on the canopy.   Touched up the weathering, added some additional small bits.   Getting there lads!

ohx8vsr.jpg

SdgJDFS.jpg

idVnZlh.jpg

dyDteQ2.jpg

DLRyCGs.jpg

db6feZX.jpg

FoGWvYj.jpg

84ZlylM.jpg

c7pjHil.jpg

BhyY6SQ.jpg

xrSo4Zy.jpg

Thanks for looking.