Dragon Knight - 1/48 J35O Draken Austrian Air Force

Good afternoon.

I picked up this Hasegawa kit unboxed as part of a Job Lot purchase.  Looks complete, but we shall see.  I have dug out the Master metal nose probe out of the vault to go with this as well...

VSwBqKIHqG5Il7HTgGNPPl54HPzKpKwnP4M0E6QW

dHkCL9u4woRDhNQm-8AtgYPgpDlHLuoExJ13PDaa

The main challenge in this build is likely to be the decals.  I have seen plenty of online builds with the undercarriage up, which would make this easier.  However, who wants a quiet life?  The undercarriage will be down, which obviously means some surgical dissection on the decals down the line.

Thanks for looking,

Icarus

• Like 7

welcome along and wow, what a scheme!!

I haven't seen this scheme before and I love it.

If you're up for it I'd say masking would be the way to go with the underside rather than messing around with decals. Those are big decals and lining them up is going to be fun.The models shape would lend itself to this very nicely, paint the yellow then wash up for the black.

Anyway, good luck with her, she's going to look awesome when completed.

Afternoon all.  This is a relatively simple build, with excellent engineering, and is progressing well.  I decided that I might leave the canopy open, so have invested in a resin ejector seat.  Fitted and painted up as follows:

9pgHf0yzkYPwYnt_NfuYcBjnM_TseeFh1Wtkt9B7

xAr67fZkaxh426G3LqTz_Hal47-dZ0g4EDboKrWk

I refrained from going the "full hog" with a resin 'pit, especially as the kit instrument decals have worked out so well!  I added a few extra instrument dial decals from a generic set where there were some obvious inaccuracies, but that's all.

This does mean the area behind the seat is a bit simplified, but I can live with that for the sake of sanity/finance.

Thanks for looking,

Icarus

• Like 6

agree, a very nice job indeed and you're right the kit cockpit is actually quite nice.

If I didn't have my AM habit I probably would have gone the same path for this model too. 

So, now with main structure built, masked, then good old Halfords automotive grey primer:

dTRjVZkWBIoBjAamLsIRbmPX8czrRwG13RDgA-Om

WbXCK1ogVgMMpdT3eXDJGJONe5mQnaBpZ_1huzxn

Looking to lay down some of the ever reliable diluted X-1 this evening, then after micromesh polishing it's the main challenge in this build - those decals!

Thanks for looking,

Icarus

Edited by Icarus
  • Like 6

So, as usual. diluted X-1 in multiple thin layers generates a lovely gloss black with great lustre:

wbyKbQfAQyuPie4iZ68PPMum-sxR0sdKJM2yGyjg

Tonight, the fun really starts with those amazing decals!

Thanks for looking,

Icarus

• Like 4

So now with decals on.  What an amazing paint scheme!

2C1y01mFrcPFrW7LumA0_6pse7-yrf8EXw7M-7vC

gHebypHYrpEuyYxbys57CmoM9_z9xcs5YCYCeWCx

Next step is to build up and add the various undercarriage and fragile bits, remove the masking from the canopy and cockpit space, then glue open.  I also need to add the nose probe, with its "stipes", which could be a bit of a challenge.  Hopefully then all will be complete, and I can start on the Danish "Ghost" Viggen.

Thanks for looking,

Icarus

• Like 9

Evening everyone and thank you so much for the comments.  Looking at reference photos of the original aircraft this had gloss finish, so I've been having fun with the micromesh polishing cloths today.  I've also added the u/c - the front one was pretty complicated, but seems to have worked out accurate and strong.

5975D7D53CNCeA2TcYgZNBGKHquByh7J1u74GWYc

aAqJcCS-hyu7Hwly6fcMQOw1SjWBjL3iCGDg8y8b

Fc0HQhHZlub2ghtLDPqRFFpu9E93Yf-X_tAqMZCE

Enjoying this build.

Thanks for looking,

Icarus

• Like 6

So, this is now complete (apart from a minor touch up at the nose probe base that I have just seen!

hF9v1XxILsvV1-fyOix0qdn6rPzSOcUuhqWftvcl

JXhxCvs4bw-5Y2k8H28NW7rgPGv9Pwh5bXgo3f58

Yts-0X1Jrhb3jGpZBP8Sad1beeIU-MGtboV2hPRH

a8qUPsGgqdEyL1BuBRI9FwweFouI9i7Pm97S82Td

I'll put some better photos in the Gallery later, then it's off to France for the Rafale A build.  If I get time, I will also try build the 1/48 ESCI Viggen that I have in my stash for this GB, in the famous all red Danish "ghost" scheme.

Thank you for looking,

Icarus

• Like 10

• 2 weeks later...

I'm a bit late, but well done, she looks awesome and what a great finish too.

It's an amazing scheme and quite different from most. The cockpit detailing was really nicely done I loved it.

Well thank you for joining us here with such a great looking model and awesome build, I hope you enjoyed it all.

• 1 month later...