A pair of Fleet Air Arm Hellcats

Built as part of the Grumman Hellcat Single Type Group Build but fitting in with my overall build theme of aircraft of FAA Aces, I though you might want to have a quick look at these..

The kit used was the 1/48 Eduard MkI / MkII Combo boxing.  The models were painted using Xtracrylics for the base camouflage.  Anti corrosion treatment / new paint was using Hataka Acrylics (slight difference in colours).  Tamiya / Life colour for weathering.  Box / Xtradecal generic marking sets for the markings..

The two aircraft I chose to build were:-

Hellcat MkI FN411/5°E 1839 NAS HMS Indomitable Oct 1944, Operation Millet.  Flown by Sub Lieutenant Edward “Tug” Wilson.

Wilson’s family heralded from Co. Meath and emigrated to South Africa between the wars.  Tug Wilson volunteered for the South African Naval forced and served as a member of the Fleet Air Arm

On 19.10.44 (1010) SLt Wilson destroyed 2 x Ki-43 ‘Oscar’ 3m S of Car Nicobar flying Hellcat I FN411/5*E

“In the meantime the enemy made an appearance over the fleet, but were met by our Hellcats and Vics’s Corsairs.  The Corsairs shot down four and the Hellcats three, all Oscars.  Tug Wilson destroyed two and (John) Smithwick one.  They were flying with Bing (John Hawkins) and Claude (Lt RC Westfield), who was just about to press the ‘tit’ when Tug nipped in before him and shot it down.  Bing got on a Jap, but his electrics failed so his guns failed to fire”.  SLt R McKenzie

Hellcat I FN411/5*E

This is the effect I was after

51395757635_850de7231f_c.jpg

This is how it turned out

51492108126_aa69afdcb1_b.jpg

51493034040_f9e7ee085c_b.jpg

51541593711_3cf6a0db9d_b.jpg

51540806272_cf6707474e_b.jpg

51541839693_eb3d736d84_b.jpg

Hellcat MkII JW867/W116 1844 NAS HMS Indomitable May 1945 Operation Iceberg Oolong, flown by Sub Lieutenant William “Bill” Atkinson.

On 21st May The one success had been when Hellcats from Indomitable on a CAP, had been vectored out to investigate a radar plot at about 30,000 feet, 36 miles from the fleet.  They found a Myrt shadowing the task force and after a brief fight it was shot down.

21.05.45 Nakajima C6N ‘Myrt’ Shared destroyed Grumman Hellcat II JW867/W116

Here is (I think) the real aircraft in April when the CO had an encounter with the barrier.

51540956612_6b5c43433d_c.jpg

This is my interpretation one month later.

51492819419_27bb68303c_b.jpg

51492354778_e29557899a_b.jpg

51542667420_dd8f8d0a4f_b.jpg

Couple of slides from my Aces pack (where I keep pictures of my models)

51525669082_fc8a6baa14_b.jpg

51527194309_70f801e70e_b.jpg

Hope you enjoyed them

Thanks for stopping by..

• Like 54
  • Thanks 3

Superb work GB - I think you have perfectly captured the weathering on both aircraft. Two of the best FAA Hellcats I've seen,

Cheers,

Roger

• Like 1

Oh mate you have cracked both of these,...... they are both superb and I love the weathering,..... perfect,..... just perfect.

Cheers

Tony

• Like 2

20 hours ago, mahavelona said:

That really is fantastic weathering. It's unusual to see such a realistic finish pulled off. Can I ask about your techniques?

Thank you for your kind comments.

For the weathering I plan it from the start of painting.  The aircraft was sprayed all over with aluminium from Halfords and left for at least 24 hrs ( probably until next session next weekend).  Next overall coat was to represent chromate yellow primer, again overall (I used a Tamiya paint here - again leave to harden.  

TSS was next using Xtracrylics paints which are quite soft so they get a coat of Klear and left for a few days.  Markings, coat of Klear.  I then do a light mist of medium or light grey from a height to tone down the colours (inc Roundels).

Then for the worn areas it’s a case of fine emery paper and wet & dry and abraded away paint in high traffic areas, going down to the Primer (zinc chromate) and Aluminium.  I then used a small piece of foam to ‘dry dab’ the colour representing hand prints and stains, in line with the first photo.  I made good any areas where I went too far using Hataka TSS Colours (slightly different shade).  Airbrushed the exhaust to finish.

Overall satin varnish, then Matt in the stained areas...

Quite straight forward but plan ahead.  If you think you need more - stop and walk away.  Don’t be scared to wash off paint you have put on..

Hope that helps..

• Like 2