Airfix Trident 1C in BEA's Speedjack livery

This is my 1/144 scale Hawker Siddeley Trident 1C that I built ten years ago from a very old Airfix kit. It's actually the first airliner model that I had built after my youth in the 1960's. With this Trident model I got so hooked on airliners that I have so far built almost forty of them.

The old Airfix kit has probably many errors that I didn't notice but the obvious one was that the kit's front landing gear's attachment point is erroneously in the centreline of the fuselage when the location is in fact 61 cm. to the port (4,2 mm in the model). The front landing gear turned up sideways and this unusual arrangement was caused by the need to have more space in the nose for the sophisticated avionics. (Trident was e.g. the first airliner with equipment for a fully automated landing).

I modelled the Trident in the BEA "Speedjack" livery for which I ordered the decals from 26Decals. In order to make the blue shade of the cheatline match with the tailplane's colour I discarded the too light blue cheatline decals and painted instead the cheatline and the tailplane with Xtracolor BAE blue paint (the cabin windows were fortunately separate decals). I mixed the light grey shade of the lower side of the fuselage and sprayed the white parts of the fuselage with Humbrol rattle can white. The wings were painted with Vallejo red and Humbrol silver. Building the model was straightforward but quite a bit of puttying and sanding had to be done.

In the 1980's I flew many times in business class with this nostalgic three holer between Helsinki and London Heathrow.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Edited by Einar
errata
  • Like 50
  • Thanks 1

Great work on the Trident, many happy days of looking skyward as a child seeing those red wings against the blue skies.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, FLCH said:

Great work on the Trident, many happy days of looking skyward as a child seeing those red wings against the blue skies.

Thank you,

Einar

1 hour ago, SAT69 said:

Very very nice work. You've produced a most attractive model.

Thank you,

Einar

Just now, TheyJammedKenny! said:

Ooh, that's nice!  Your first adulthood airliner model--that's really a milestone.  What was it like to fly on these?  Smooth all the way? Great job on capturing the looks of this beautiful plane.  Alex

Thanks Alex,

Trident was a very confortable plane. Many times I had the privilege of travelling in the business class in the front of the cabin. It was really nice and quiet there!

Cheers,

Einar

• Like 1

Lovely build Einar. It might be old but the Airfix Trident is still the basis of a fine model.

I never flew on a Trident 1C but I did manage one flight on a 3B just before BA retired them. Flying in a rear-facing seat was very strange and I thought we were going to run out of runway but G-AWZJ rotated in her own good time and the rest of the flight was very enjoyable. I was surprised how quiet the cabin was since the Trident was noisy even by the standards of its time with a sort of "crackle" that could never be mistaken for anything else. Happy days!

Dave G

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, David H said:

It's another beautiful build, Einar.

And here i am over here, still trying to get the fuselage buttoned up on my Super VC10....

david

Thanks David

Einar

8 hours ago, Skodadriver said:

Lovely build Einar. It might be old but the Airfix Trident is still the basis of a fine model.

I never flew on a Trident 1C but I did manage one flight on a 3B just before BA retired them. Flying in a rear-facing seat was very strange and I thought we were going to run out of runway but G-AWZJ rotated in her own good time and the rest of the flight was very enjoyable. I was surprised how quiet the cabin was since the Trident was noisy even by the standards of its time with a sort of "crackle" that could never be mistaken for anything else. Happy days!

Dave G

Thank you Dave!

..and yes, those were the happy days👍😀

Cheers,

Einar

8 hours ago, ColinChipmunkfan said:

A well built model. You extra work on the blue has paid off excellently.  Well done sir!

Colin

Thanks Colin!

Einar

That’s a lovely Trident Einar. Just goes to show that these classic kits can be made into something really good. It’ll be interesting to compare this with the new Eastern Express kit due out soon, although I think it may be a fair bit more expensive than the Airfix kit!

Cheers, Andy

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Andy Young said:

That’s a lovely Trident Einar. Just goes to show that these classic kits can be made into something really good. It’ll be interesting to compare this with the new Eastern Express kit due out soon, although I think it may be a fair bit more expensive than the Airfix kit!

Cheers, Andy

Thanks Andy!

I suppose the EE kit is much more detailed and accurate than the Airfix one but the price tag will surely be a lot higher.

Cheers,

Einar

9 hours ago, bigbadbadge said:

What a lovely model,  great work on this , this is such an attractive scheme too.

Looks wonderful. 

Chris

Thank you Chris!

Cheers,

Einar

• Like 1