1:48 Monogram OA-4M Skyhawk - Outlaws

1:48 Monogram OA-4M Skyhawk - Outlaws

Gday my BM mates !!

Here's my latest build, the 1:48 Monogram OA-4M Skyhawk. This version is MCAS Yuma with a few changes as explained below.

This kit is a real old one from the mid-80s (most awesome time in life huh ?).... The kit was actually really nicely detailed, I could only imagine it was a high end kit all those years ago. If you pick one of these up you may be lucky to get a good decal set however my decals were shot... fell apart and the glue was a mere white putty !! As luck had it, Furball had a complete set of A4 decals that included my variant. I've taken a little artistic licensing with the markings based on what I had to try to keep the low-viz theme. I also recycled IP decals from other kits as I couldn't find ant added goodies for the OA-4M variant so mostly OOB.

Overall, a great old kit I enjoyed thoroughly....

WIP is here:

Hope you like it.

Cheers

JJ

Hope you liked it...

Thanks for watching..

Cheers

JJ

• Like 32

Thank you for posting this one.  👍 I've had that kit in the stash for 30+ years and have pulled it out and "played" with the pieces many times.  But, never attempted to build it.  Your great looking Scooter is so inspirational that I may just take a swing at my old kit before too long.  You've one a super job on the old girl! :thumbsup:

On 10/2/2021 at 8:17 PM, Lord Riot said:

Awesome Scooter! 

Cheers mate

On 10/2/2021 at 8:34 PM, Wulfman said:

A lovely build

Thanks mate

On 10/2/2021 at 9:19 PM, SAT69 said:

Excellent Work

Thanks mate

This really looks great and I love that you really loaded it up with tanks and ordinance.  I have always wondered how these actually fly so laden with stuff but the fly great.  I have built this kit also and agree that despite its age it is a pretty good kit.

8 hours ago, Harold55 said:

This really looks great

Thanks Harold,

Your reply peaked my curiosity and sent me on a google-athon !! I also wondered how they fly (especially from carriers) with so much load. Looking through images, I found the most common Navy images on take off were the 2 x tanks and maybe sidewinders, and on landing, just the 2 x tanks, and most of the images of the fully loaded version were Marines. Maybe something in that ? Perhaps there are A-4 buffs here that can confirm the loadouts v the performance ?

Cheers

JJ 

59 minutes ago, Flight Line Media said:

Great work, JJ!

Cheers mate

22 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Excellent Scooter

Thanks mate, there were a couple on eBay but the price was ridiculous - around $70-80 USD . Mine was around $20 USD - purchase within Australia (albeit, the new decals cost that too !!). If you're happy to wait, one may come up cheaper maybe in an opened damaged box.

Hope one pops up for you !!

Cheers

JJ

• Thanks 1