Airfix 1/72 Phantom FGR.2 - XV415/B of 23 Squadron, Falklands, 1986

Simon

Really excellent build Simon, and great tips, thanks. I have the Airfix FRG.2 in the stash, still all sealed - not checked the sprues :unsure: (off to look!)

I built the FG.1 a couple of years ago and thought it a good kit, once the vents on the ramps had been added, what an odd omission Airfix.

Keep up the great work!

Thank you for all the kind words everyone - very much appreciated.

I'm still awaiting news of a replacement canopy from the Airfix Spares Dept, but I've been cracking on with some of the odds and ends. I made the executive decison to have the Phantom with 'everything down' so slats, flaps, ailerons, airbrakes and auxiliary doors which I think may not be 100% accurate, but I thought I'd just go for it.

First up, I've made some actuators for the lower auxiliary engine doors, which have also had their Eduard etch bits added:

Airfix-Phantom-85

And in place:

Airfix-Phantom-86

I've made some actuators for the airbrakes as well, which Airfix didn't supply:

Airfix-Phantom-88

So here's all the lower bits in place, all open and/or lowered:

Airfix-Phantom-89

Wing tanks test fitted to make sure the mainwheel doors don't foul them:

Airfix-Phantom-92

I've done a bit more weathering to the undersides as well.

Meanwhile, I've added the fin aerials from the Quickboost RWR set, which are a vast improvemnt of the rather clunky (and short-shot) bits that were originally there:

Airfix-Phantom-90

I've also taken the opportunity to do the missile load for XV415 which is the usual R.A.F. Phantom load from that period of four Skyflashes and four Sidewinders, using Eduard's Brassin AIM-7E set for the Skyflashes and their AIM-9L set:

Airfix-Phantom-93

They're quite fiddly, and the Eduard decals take about three seconds to loosen from the backing paper, so beware! I've got the gun pod too, and that's just about ready.

I've also done some weathering to the uppersurfaces, which I'm pretty happy with. It's a fine line between not enough and too much...

Airfix-Phantom-94

Airfix-Phantom-95

Airfix-Phantom-96

As with the undersides, it's done with watercolour brush pens of various greys, which can be blended or removed with a slightly damp cloth or brush as required, then sealed with a coat of varnish.

So, I think all the various bits and bobs are pretty much ready, I'm just waiting for a canopy that actually fits...which would be nice. :whistle:

More soon...

Simon

• Like 7

Excellent additional details, I like the airbrakes.

1 hour ago, Simon said:

I made the executive decison to have the Phantom with 'everything down' so slats, flaps, ailerons, airbrakes and auxiliary doors which I think may not be 100% accurate, but I thought I'd just go for it

I did the same with my FG1 and I agree, not 100% accurate, but looks great.

• Like 1

I've been going through the same pain with this kit. I think the engineering is a bit fussy but there was evidently issues during the tooling, lots of steps on edges where there should be none. The weapons sprue it is misaligned too.

My canopy was also twisted, but Airfix Spares service delivered a replacement within a week.

20 minutes ago, JamesP said:

I've been going through the same pain with this kit. I think the engineering is a bit fussy but there was evidently issues during the tooling, lots of steps on edges where there should be none. The weapons sprue it is misaligned too.

My canopy was also twisted, but Airfix Spares service delivered a replacement within a week.

Glad to hear it's not just me! :)

The weird thin steps on some of the edges really mess up the fit of quite a few parts. I had the same problem with the two Airfix Mitchells I did before the Phantom. I guess it's a moulding issue, as opposed to an issue with the mould itself?

I'm still trying to get a replacement canopy from them. I gave them the kit code for the FGR.2 box (A06017), as well as the original FG.1 kit (A06016), and they have no spares for either. So I gave them the code for the current FG.1 boxing (A06019) which they apparently have in stock so we'll see if they come up trumps...after all don't they all have the same clear parts?

• 3 weeks later...

A quick update: absolutely nothing to report.

Still waiting for my replacement canopy, which apparently was posted out to me on November 25th on a Royal Mail 48 hours delivery.:shrug:

I've just e-mailed them for the sixth time chasing this up, so I may be toddling off to the 'Wanted' section on here ere long...

Simon

Edited by Simon

• 1 month later...

So, nearly a couple of months later...and the replacement part arrived last week. I've been away from my work bench, so only managed to check it today, and it's straight, which is nice! :whistle:

Just as well, as i'd tried to 'gently presuade' the warped canopy into shape. It was all going fine, and nearly there, when I heard the inevitable crack... :doh: :swear:

Airfix-Phantom-97

Oddly enough the replacement has a very fine scratch along the length, in exactly the same place as the warped one. Mould issue, I'd think, but it's not too visible.

Anyway, I had a bit of a time trying to get the canopy to sit tight, with some fairly serious fettling of the fuselage cockpit sides, the cockpit coaming and the canopy itself. It sits just about right, but will need to be held (carefully!) in place when gluing.

Airfix-Phantom-99

I've also masked the canopy with the Eduard mask set, and have a question about the small window between the pilot and navigator. This is the Eduard mask in place:

Airfix-Phantom-100

That's not right, is it? :shrug:

Looks nowt like this one:  https://www.canstockphoto.com/f4-canopy-0166154.html

Anyway, progress at last!

Simon

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hello again

I'm back for what will hopefully be the last update before the Phantom is done and dusted. Still issues to sort out, but it's been one of those builds...:whistle:

I had a heck of a problem getting the cockpit glazing to fit. The cockpit aperture seemed to be a bit too narrow, so after a lot of scraping, sanding and general faffing on I got it to sit just about right. The cockpit glazing was masked and painted, and then severely clamped in place:

Airfix-Phantom-101

I put Blue Tack under the clamps to prevent any damage to the transparencies, but got some minor chips on the paint. I did this about four times until it finally settled in place. So the canopy was remasked an touched up:

Airfix-Phantom-103

Airfix-Phantom-104

The joint isn't perfect, but I'm pretty happy it's actually on! I used a piece of tape to replace the Eduard mask for the starboard middle frame - dunno where they got the odd shape they had?

So, on to all the fiddly bits. Here's the front undercarriage in place:

Airfix-Phantom-106

Airfix-Phantom-105

The Eduard etch works really well, but I replaced the blade aerial on the front door with a slightly bigger one made from plastic card. The wheels are from Eduard too.

The mainwheels and doors have also been added:

Airfix-Phantom-107

Airfix-Phantom-108

And then finally for the undersides all the ordnance - Skyflashes, Sidewinders and the gun pod. Missiles are Eduard and the gun pod from Air-Graphics Models:

Airfix-Phantom-109

Airfix-Phantom-110

And lastly, I added a rear view mirror for the rear seater, as well as a scratch-build periscope:

Airfix-Phantom-112

I've also added an angle of attack sensor (that's what it is, isn't it?) on the port side of the nose:

Airfix-Phantom-113

I assume R.A.F. Phantoms just had them on the port side?

So the Phantom's just about all done. I'm just finishing off the weathering, and I've done a base of AM2 matting in Photoshop for it to sit on:

Print

I'll get the finishing touches done, then post it in R.F.I. soon...

Simon

• Like 5

On 04/02/2022 at 16:47, Simon said:

So, nearly a couple of months later...and the replacement part arrived last week. I've been away from my work bench, so only managed to check it today, and it's straight, which is nice! :whistle:

Just as well, as i'd tried to 'gently presuade' the warped canopy into shape. It was all going fine, and nearly there, when I heard the inevitable crack... :doh: :swear:

Airfix-Phantom-97

I had the exact same problem with my FG.1, luckily, I was planning on doing open canopy anyway, but I'm not looking forward to trying to do closed canopy on my other phantom

worst case scenario I message airfix customer support I guess, they always deliver.