Looking for Canberra Bomb bay reference pictures!

nimrod77

Hello everyone,

I am in the process of building Airfix's Canberra and I am having a hard time believing the bomb rack that fits into the weapons bay is realistic. I am building it as an Australian Mk 20 in 2 SQN Colours in Vietnam, so if anyone has any images of the weapons bay in this era with M117 bombs fitted, I would be very appreciative, but anything will do as there seems to be a dearth of images out there for some reason.

Cheers all!

1 hour ago, nimrod77 said:

Thank you for your site and images CK! They're amazingly helpful. One question if you're able to answer, do the bomb beams run the entire length of the weapons bay or do they stop short?

Cheers!

@nimrod77 Glad it helped Nimrod, I've just taken these photos of the B(I)6 AP AS you can see the bomb beam goes right up to the front, and stops short at the back

cWw93c.jpg

cWw0Jz.jpg

John

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, nimrod77 said:

Awesome. Thanks again. Now if I can just figure out how the M117 bombs were fitted to the Aussie Canberras in Vietnam. Only image I have is this and it's not very helpful. 

https://imgur.com/a/Sydr4dA

As the 117 bomb (without tail) was dimensionally very close to the UK 100lb bomb,  being about 2" longer and less than 1/2" smaller in diameter, it probably used the standard bomb suspension equipment.

Selwyn

• Like 1

2 hours ago, canberra kid said:

@nimrod77 This is an RAAF Mk.20 bomb load if it helps?

cdQrSX.jpg

John

I bet it isn't!  The Mk 20 bomb didn't  go into service till the 1980's!

With the boat tail to the bomb they are probably Mk 7's or even WW2 1000lb bombs.

Selwyn

• Like 1

6 hours ago, nimrod77 said:

Thanks, I have that image too but it shows an early load using British 500lb bombs, not the latter M117. 

That size they are not 500lb, definately 1000Lb

Selwyn

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...