3.     RDF Loop Antenna, ADF `football’ in Bakelite housing

4 hours ago, Dave C said:

Can anyone recommend a source of 1/72 RDF antennas

I’ve used up my small  stock of Aeroclub white metal antennas

Wanted:

1.     Circular RDF Loop Antenna [bare wire]

2.     RDF Loop Antenna, ADF `football’ in clear Perspex housing

3.     RDF Loop Antenna, ADF `football’ in Bakelite housing

Whoo, boy- good luck on your quest! IIRC, somebody did a set of injected RDF footballs a long time ago, but I don't recall who the maker was. The 1st type should be pretty easy to do from a suitably thin wire; the 3rd type can be taken from a kit that included one, and you could make an impression of it and cast copies in resin; the 2nd type- now that's the hard one. I don't think I have sever seen one in any scale. Perhaps you could make the circular wire part and then insert it in a two-part mold and fill with clear resin? (Maybe a suitable small injected bomb body could be reshaped to form the 'football' part of the mold, and the wire bit inserted and then filled with clear resin?)

Mike

Just a thought- you could use a section of a sprue runner that has a circular cross section and re-shape it into the 'football. shape to make either the 2nd or 3rd type you described.

Edited by 72modeler
added text

IIRC the second type is quite rare on full size aircraft? I think the Hasegawa (or maybe Airfix?) Beaufighter had the type in a blister fairing but I don't recall seeing one in a teardrop.

Thanks Chris very helpful.

I found said clear DF loop in my spares box in a little bag marked Airfix Beaufort; there's none so blind as a modeller wearing varifocals!

I didn't use this component on my model of Kenneth Campbell's Beaufort, but it will now go on to my MPM model of Hugh Malcolm's Blenheim V.

From one VC to another

• Like 1