Flyhawk 1/72 SBD-3 Dauntless & SBD-2 Upgrade Edition now available

VMA131Marine

I have to admit I’ve been hoping for a new 1/72 Dauntless for a while. I thought this would have been an ideal subject for Airfix. That said, I’m thrilled that Flyhawk are doing it. It looks so much better than the Hasegawa kit just because the dive flaps are perforated,

as on the real thing, rather than solid as in the Hasegawa kit. The cockpit will be a big improvement as well.

• Like 3

I'll definitely be keeping an eye out for this.

One of my first builds after returning to modelling a few years ago was the Airfix Dauntless, I wasn't brave enough to attempt the major surgery required to model it with the dive brakes deployed but looks like I won't have to with this one. 

Edited by -Ian-

On 10/1/2021 at 10:17 AM, Nanond said:

Excellent! Isn't this their first 1:72 aircraft kit? It's looking great already.

Nanond

Aircraft Yes, but they have done some very nice armour kits in 1/72 

• Like 1

I just ordered one, there's now two sellers on ebay. the other one has free shipping, 18,80 GBP. This seller doesnt specify if it's a pre-order. But I assume so, as the other seller has it as a pre-order, and I can't find any info that it has been released. This means I soon have to start building Hasegawa's version from my stash.

1 hour ago, Andre B said:

Didn't knew the gunner had a "stick" as well. Or isn't it made for flying the aircraft?

Cheers / André 

I remember this feature from building the Accurate Miniatures kit. I’m not sure how much use that stick would have been in practice though. You certainly couldn’t hope to land the aircraft on a carrier deck flying from the back seat.

Imagine the time-frame during which You have to assess that the pilot is incapacitated, let go of the gun, turn around, and pull the plane out of the dive... which has already started and is mid-way down by now 🤔

Kinda up there with the time for a Me 163 pilot to get the target within range of his guns, aim, fire, and steer away from it to avoid collision.

• Like 1

You have a point. But bailing-out/ditching (preferably near you carrier) still sound possible. Would be nice to know, whether (and when) the controls were used in practice.

Anyway, can't wait to get my hands on the kit, I've been waiting for a new SDB in 1/72 for ages...

• Like 1

oops, I just uploaded a Topic, I must be blind as I looked, couldn't see one of posted here. 

Anyway, very interested as the aircraft is very under tooled in 1/72

From what I can see in the preview this kit looks excellent. I am really looking forward to acquire this for my stash and I am certain I will buy more of those SBD if Flyhawk is going to release the SBD 2/4/5/6 and the A-24 versions as well.