KA Models Gunfighters F-14A

danielwood5

I'm going to join in here with this rather nice KA Models F-14A.

GFohdcX.jpg?1

RyPfonc.jpg?1

My understanding is that KA Models are primarily an aftermarket company and that this is essentially a rebox of the Fujimi kit from the 80s bundled together with KA's aftermarket additions. Here's a closer look at the extras included;

oLxs1uS.jpg?1

Plain brass parts;

B1LmzkN.jpg?1

Coloured etch, turned brass pitot and canopy masks;

PKd2REF.jpg?1

There's also two sets of new wheels with the kit that are a different style to the ones included on the Fujimi sprue. I'm guessing these are correct for the included decal schemes but I've got no idea why there's two identical wheel sprues included. Normally I'd assume it's a mistake but the back of the box makes it clear that there's two included so I'm not sure of their thinking there. They're really nicely moulded though so I'll put them in the spares box for use on one of the other Tomcat kits I've got from other manufacturers.

zmvGKPN.jpg?1

The decals are marked KA Models so I'm guessing they're printed in-house. They look like they're fantastic quality, perfect register with good colour density and minimal carrier film. They look very much like Cartograf decals so I'm hoping they behave in the same way.

lMBX0O3.jpg?1

The only slight concern I have is that the fin decals for the Gunfighter scheme look a bit 'odd'. I think it's just because the black isn't printed on them but the detail on the missile looks a bit lacking to me. 

GX0wqmw.jpg?1

There's no way of telling how they will look without putting them on the kit so that may be a bit of a risk though, I'll have a think about that before starting though.

The instructions are a single A3 sheet and are frankly anxiety inducing looking at them, no nice clearly laid out step by step booklet here!

YGD2Xub.jpg?1

Here's the decal guide showing the marking scheme I'm going to attempt, I think this scheme great with the black detailing. 

MT3HwYX.jpg?1

One thing I really like about the decal guide is that it doesn't just give you a number for the decal, it also shows an image of each stencil showing it's orientation. This is such a user friendly way of doing this and I can't believe more companies don't do the same thing.

Lvz40xI.jpg

This is the very best part of the decals though, glow in the dark formation lights! Amazing!

qnOGNwt.jpg?1

I'll probably make a start on this over the weekend I guess, I have to admit I'm really looking forward to this one. I've recently completed the new Academy Tomcat and thoroughly enjoyed it so I'm hoping this will be just as much fun.

dJradsW.jpg

• Like 10

Looks like an interesting kit and accessories you’ve got there. I’ve got two of the Fujimi kits so I’ll watch your build for issues. 

Cheers Allan 

Looks like a lot of good stuff for your project. I haven't built the Fujimi kit since it first came out, so I'll be following closely. I suspect the black wasn't printed in the squadron logo since the fin is black - that will show through the clear parts of the decal and complete the cartoon. Maybe...perhaps...

If you have the ability to print your own decals, you could scan the decal sheet, print some extra squadron logos and test them on a black surface. Just a thought.

Cheers,

Bill

• 5 weeks later...