Making Your Own Decals

Back in the Saddle

I thought I would start this thread, as I've had a few questions about how I make the decals for my airliner builds and this will hopefully explain the whole process from start to finish!

My main interest at the moment is the British Airways 'Utopia' livery. I started to create my own decals for these designs about a year ago, after buying some online which turned out to be both the wrong size and generally incorrect!

This was the one which started it all, from my 747-436 Tribute Build:

ivp.jpg

I should explain that I am not an expert my any means. There are mistakes and defects on most of my models, many of which can be seen the the above picture! However, I am improving slowly and will point out any known pitfalls along the way...

My objective at the end of this thread is to have a model 727, with a bespoke design on the fin. This may take a while, as the kit needs building too! The kit is from Airfix:

air.jpg

And the tail design will be the 'Scotland' tartan livery, shown on the bag below:

bag.jpg

At this point I will admit that the design process for this particular model has the potential to go badly wrong for two reasons. Firstly, the tail on the 727 is very complex, with more curves than a normal fin due to the air intake for the centre engine... The second potential problem is the geometry of the intended design - the tartan artwork is all straight lines and right angles, so getting it to conform to the tail fin/engine intake/rear fuselage whilst not looking distorted will be a real challenge. If it becomes too much of a problem I will resort to a different design from the above selection - probably the 'Waves of the City' design at the top centre - this one will be much more forgiving!

The first step is to get the design into a digital format. I scanned the bag (at 600 dpi) and opened the design in Photoshop:

tart.jpg

I played around with the colours, using reference photos from the internet. The blue is now darker and the green, red and yellow are more vibrant. If this was not done, the printed decal can look dull.

I needed to scan the 727 kit (also at 600 dpi for commonality), to create a template for the tail:

fin.jpg

These two images were then combined. You will notice that the tail fin has been flipped over, as that better suited the diagonal lines on the tartan design:

sup.jpg

As this livery is completely fictitious, I can have the latitude to amend the design as much as I like to try and create something that looks suitable and attractive, whilst being practical to apply to the model. This version was not my first attempt and it may get amended as the process continues!

Once happy, the excess pattern is removed, leaving the bit I need:

shap.jpg

I'm already concerned about how easily (or not!) this will apply to the model! Which brings me nicely onto the next stage of the design process - making very rough paper copies to see how well they fit:

a4.jpg

These are then dry fitted, using clips to hold them into place:

gap.jpg

I can see four immediate issues, most of which are not a surprise...!

The areas marked in blue need to be extended, to allow them to wrap around the top of the fin and engine intake. There is a gap (marked with the red line), where the decals do not conform to the curvature of the model. The third issue is more of a problem regarding the practicality of applying the decals - the joint between the fin and the rear fuselage has a very complex design, with multiple colours and shapes. If the entire design was moved down slightly, this would make it easier to apply. Finally the design on the fuselage is not level; it is sloping down at the front...

The first issue is simple to fix, the others are more of a challenge!

• Like 5

On 30/09/2021 at 16:52, Alex1978 said:

Superb.I will follow with interest

Thanks Alex - hope you find it useful!👍

The whole process is split into three stages:

1) Research and Design

2) Production

3) Application

Stage 1 takes the longest by far, especially for a complicated design!

Stage 2 is very quick and stage 3 varies depending on the model, but is usually relatively simple. I will cover these later stages more at the appropriate point; for now I am firmly at the first stage!

I did a bit more research last night, as although my design is fictitious I want to livery to look authentic. The tartan livery was used extensively by BA - here's an image showing the tail of a 747:

civz.jpg

From this, you can see that:

• The diagonal stripes closely follow the angle of the swept fin
  • The pattern is bold, with a just small section of the original design expanded to cover the whole fin
  • The colours can be confirmed (with the caveat that any online photos may have colour issues - these can be amended in Photoshop)
  • The stripes are definitely vertical and horizontal!

As I've mentioned on other threads, most BA Utopia design came in different variations, so it is common to find changes in the design between different aircraft. I found an image showing the tartan livery on a Comair 727. This design is unique, as it is the only 'Benyhone' fin to contain a yellow section - all the others had a combination of just reds, blues, green and white:

com.jpg

From the first image, I have made some changes to the colours used on the decal, using the 747 image for reference:

v2.jpg

The dark blue is now lighter and the medium blue has less of a green hue. I used the second image as a 'reality check' for my design - is the scaling, alignment, etc. something that looks comparable to the real aircraft? Based on that, I shifted the design around until I had this:

b2.jpg

Some of my earlier problems are hopefully now solved as well. The horizontal dashed stripe now starts the very base of the fin, rather than going across the joint between the fin and fuselage. Wrapping the decal around the top of the fin and engine intake should also be relatively straightforward. I've kept the vertical yellow stripe running down from the intake and the area this runs into will be ideal for 'chopping', to blend the design into the white fuselage - if you look at the 747 photo again you can see how the design disappears at the lower forward edge.

Once the excess design is removed you are left with version 2:

blen.jpg

Another paper cutout is next, to see how this one looks!

Once I'm happy with the shape, the design then gets tidied up considerably - for example, removing the blue dots in the white dashed stripe. This bit can take a while...

I'm going back to the beginning again with this design, as I'm just not happy with it. I think the fin needs a horizontal stripe element, to show more clearly that the image derives from tartan. At the moment it just looks like diagonal stripes!

Back to the Photoshop drawing board...

I think I now have a design that will work, but I need to build the fuselage first, paint it white and then add the blue underside. This is to check the design looks sensible in relation to the white/blue demarcation line on the livery.

A quick detour to look at the build itself (only a brief look, as this is about the decals!)...

The windows were filled with milliput and plastic sprue was added to the belly, to make an attachment point for a stand. The undercarriage is pretty basic on this kit, so I'm building it wheels up.

mp.jpg

Rather than plastering potential decal designs on this thread and cluttering it up completely, I will wait until the fuselage is painted then check if the current design works. If so, I'll post the pictures; if not I'll tweak it until it does look OK - at that point I'll continue with the thread and show the production and application stages.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...