Deep Saxe Blue Paint

MickE

BS681C:113 Deep Saxe Blue. Never heard of it had to look it up! Sort of a deep turquoise colour. What about Vallejo 70.966 matt turquoise. Not quite as dark maybe but according to Hobby Colour Converter it's about 97%match

• Like 1

18 hours ago, treker_ed said:

BS681C:113 Deep Saxe Blue. Never heard of it had to look it up! Sort of a deep turquoise colour. What about Vallejo 70.966 matt turquoise. Not quite as dark maybe but according to Hobby Colour Converter it's about 97%match

Deep Saxe Blue is the Blue colour of British practice bombs.

Selwyn

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MickE said:

Thanks all.

This is what I am trying to match.

51538666102_75accf028c_m.jpg

It's an AIM-9l Sidewinder Acquisition round.

American missles aren’t deep saxe blue, but a FS shade, Vallejo 962 is the shade though 963 is also close which I’ve used on this f5 

50084784662_f8ceee4ffb_b.jpg

Edited by PhantomBigStu

Official colour on US practice ordnance is FS35109, although it’s probably one of the worst colours out there that is represented accurately by the various paint manufacturers. I would personally go with what your own eyes tell you.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, scotthldr said:

Official colour on US practice ordnance is FS35109, although it’s probably one of the worst colours out there that is represented accurately by the various paint manufacturers. I would personally go with what your own eyes tell you.

I stand corrected always thought it was 35180. Also humbrol 25 isn’t a bad shout, the latest acrylic dropper version isn’t as strongly blue as the previous iterations 

Edited by PhantomBigStu

On 30/09/2021 at 14:08, treker_ed said:

Beat me to it. 

For practice bombs, this is probably a close enough match. 

On 10/10/2021 at 6:36 PM, MickE said:

Well I used the vallejo 962 and it looks right, see below.

F-16a-Aim9L

Thanks for all your help.

Mick

To be honest that colour is more akin to Oxford Blue BS381C 105, than Deep Saxe Blue!

Selwyn

Yes I was originally led to believe that the acquisition rounds were in deep sale blue, hence the post title, but was later informed that they were painted in an FS colour and this colour was the close match.