Spitfire Mk1a P9398 KL-B 'Kiwi 2' (Al. Deere). Prop type?

Lindsey C

8 minutes ago, Graham Boak said:

Yes.  Which suggests that the RHS is the Rotol and the LHS the DH.   Neither particular good representations.

The presence of the later Jablo Rotol is because the kit was also released as a Mk.V.  Presumably with a desert option.

Unsure whether we have our left and right mixed up here.

The blade on the left with the 'straighter' profile would be my bet for the Rotol as there is an obvious similarity. The one on the bottom left for the dH. Again, see photos above.

I disagree that the Rotol profile is straighter - to me it displays the same "sabre" shape of a comparatively straight leading edge and a curved trailing edge as seen on the later Rotol types.  Indeed, it appear to be much the same shape of prop but the later one has a "cuff" at the base.  If we differ on that, ok, but I can tell left from right.

KP have a habit of using a base set of parts/sprues and then adding the relevant extra bits to turn into a specific marque so I suspect this may be the case with their 4 new Spitfire 1 kits (they added another one after my previous post). 

Until they arrive it will be difficult to know exactly how they've gone about coming up with a Mark 1 but I doubt (hope) it will not be using the sprues/parts from their earlier 1b kit as the primary start point and that they have actually produced new molds for the wings, fuselage and canopy. We can but hope, and if this is the case then perhaps it will be an improvement on the current Airfix kit.

Regards

Colin.

1 hour ago, V Line said:

The bottom right may be intended to represent a dH blade

Yes. That is the one the kit states to use (as presumably a DH blade). They are not the best props on a kit I have seen and the KP detailing is a little fine for my liking and may have to be improved but it will be built and opinions formed thereafter. Now I will know a Jablo Rotol too for future ref. Thanks guys.

Regards,

Lindsey

Apologies for resurrecting this one but would it be possible for those in the know to confirm all the 'Kiwi' aircraft that Al Deere flew during the BoB, as in serial numbers and existence of the Kiwi emblem on one or both sides and any other info on prop types please? Some of the information I added previously wasn't too accurate based upon subsequent replies so it would good to have a definitive view.

I still believe the original 'Kiwi' was N3180 that crashed on the beach during Dunkirk, had a Rotol prop and VHF radio (but retaining the aerial prong) and had the emblem just on the port side but as for Kiwi II (was there also a Kiwi III?) I'm no longer sure.

Regards

Colin.

• Like 2

Am I correct in assuming that 'Kiwi II' was in fact P9398, KL-B with a De Havilland prop in which Deere crashed head on with a Bf109E of 4/JG51 on the 9th July and had to crash land? If so was his next aircraft R6981,also KL-B, which then became 'Kiwi' III?

I gather that after 'Kiwi' III Al Deere no longer had the Kiwi emblem on his aircraft.

Regards

Colin.

Edited by fishplanebeer

I’m away from  my references, but if you can track down the instruction sheet from the initial “Hornchurch vs the Luftwaffe” decal sheet from around 2010, the was information regarding  at least two of the Kiwi labeled aircraft. I used it when building a model of Deere’s Kiwi in which he was attempting to scramble when shot down on take-off

• Thanks 1

On 10/9/2021 at 7:20 PM, fishplanebeer said:

Am I correct in assuming that 'Kiwi II' was in fact P9398, KL-B with a De Havilland prop in which Deere crashed head on with a Bf109E of 4/JG51 on the 9th July and had to crash land? If so was his next aircraft R6981,also KL-B, which then became 'Kiwi' III?

I gather that after 'Kiwi' III Al Deere no longer had the Kiwi emblem on his aircraft.

That is my reading of the 3 aircraft from what I have read too Colin. and N1380 (Dunkirk) as Kiwi (1).

Lindsey

• Thanks 1

On 10/9/2021 at 7:20 PM, fishplanebeer said:

That is my reading of the 3 aircraft from what I have read too Colin. and N1380 (Dunkirk) as Kiwi (1).

Lindsey

19 hours ago, Chuck1945 said:

I’m away from  my references, but if you can track down the instruction sheet from the initial “Hornchurch vs the Luftwaffe” decal sheet from around 2010, the was information regarding  at least two of the Kiwi labeled aircraft. I used it when building a model of Deere’s Kiwi in which he was attempting to scramble when shot down on take-off

Found info on Decal sheet.

3 Kiwi's and X4236 hit by bomb blast with the other 2 Spitfires on take off.

Kiwi 1 - N3180 KL-B. After receiving damage from the Do. 215, crash landed on beach at Dunkirk

Kiwi 11 - P9398 KL-B. Collided head on with Bf109.

Kiwi 111 - R6981 KL-B. Damaged by 109's over Dunkirk, made it back to England but had to bail out over Kent.

Non Kiwi - X4236 KL-B. The aircraft hit by bomb blast along with the 2 other Spits while scrambling to take off.

Thanks Chuck.

Lindsey

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Lindsey C said:

Found info on Decal sheet.

3 Kiwi's and X4236 hit by bomb blast with the other 2 Spitfires on take off.

Kiwi 1 - N3180 KL-B. After receiving damage from the Do. 215, crash landed on beach at Dunkirk

Kiwi 11 - P9398 KL-B. Collided head on with Bf109.

Kiwi 111 - R6981 KL-B. Damaged by 109's over Dunkirk, made it back to England but had to bail out over Kent.

Non Kiwi - X4236 KL-B. The aircraft hit by bomb blast along with the 2 other Spits while scrambling to take off.

Thanks Chuck.

Lindsey

Just for the record,Kiwi I crash landed on beach in Oost-Duinkerke wich is in Belgium.

• Thanks 1