Revell F/A-18F Super Hornet glitch - any advice?

Alan P

Hi all,

Just received this huge new 1/32 Super Hornet today:

tn_Super Hornet (2)

It looks more or less the same as the E model with the same build progression and new parts for the F. 

Unfortunately when I had a look at the new canopy, something didn't look right...

tn_Super Hornet (3)

I thought the black/brown bits might be dust, but they didn't wipe off. then I thought it might be residue of some kind, but it didn't scratch off :hmmm:

tn_Super Hornet (1)

So I had a look under magnification and good light, and these bits are actually moulded into the canopy part :shocked:

This is bizarre. Anyone have any idea how this might have happened? And is this a job for the retailer to sort out, or do I need to go through Revell to get this replaced?

Any advice or insight welcome,

Alan

Thanks again guys 👍

1 hour ago, Hook said:

RoG's customer service is excellent: 

https://www.revell-service.de/en/

I never had to pay for replacement parts.

17 minutes ago, Beermonster1958 said:

I've never been charged for replacements

The website says there's a charge for parts, but since this is a manufacturing fault I hope they won't charge!

Thanks again,

Alan

• Like 2

RofG were very good at replacing the faulty parts for my E-type kit, broken windscreen.

Sent a picture of the faulty part and received within 3 weeks that and a complete car body for some reason

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, colin said:

RofG were very good at replacing the faulty parts for my E-type kit, broken windscreen.

Sent a picture of the faulty part and received within 3 weeks that and a complete car body for some reason

That was lucky! 😁

• Like 1

I believe RoG changed as of this year their policy and now charge for replacement parts. 

However I am confident that in the aforementioned case, one could successfully claim manufacturing errors as the cause of the problem and request a replacement free of charge.

As it has been mentioned before though, with store bought items the retailer should be the first POC though.

• Thanks 1

Your canopy really doesn't say too much for Revell's quality-control process (or, probably more accurately, that of the Far East company that production is sub-contracted to). Having said that, I've read all sorts of stories about other model-makers producing less-than-perfect kits (including one whose name ryhmns with "Bamiya", very surprsingly).  

By the way, the earlier version of the 1/32 Revell Hornet had updated instructions, which actually detailed which parts of the fuselage interior had to be removed by the builder, so that the main parts could be constructed properly - I have never heard of that kind of honesty in a kit EVER. One the one hand I applaud Revell for their frankness, but on the other, I REALLY wonder why they couldn't have got it right before the first examples left the factory.

Good luck in finding a replacement canopy. As previous posters have stated, this one is down to Revell, so I don't see that you should have to pay them for a new one. 

Cheers. 

Chris.    

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Thanks again folks, the replacement canopy is on its way, courtesy of Revell via the retailer @Jumblies Models of Norwich (who I highly recommend 👍)

Update: arrived this afternoon (7 Oct) looking pristine! Well done everybody 👍👏👏👏

• Like 1

On 10/2/2021 at 8:06 AM, Anatol Pigwa said:

I believe RoG changed as of this year their policy and now charge for replacement parts. 

However I am confident that in the aforementioned case, one could successfully claim manufacturing errors as the cause of the problem and request a replacement free of charge.

As it has been mentioned before though, with store bought items the retailer should be the first POC though.

It has been Revell (and Airfix) policy for 60+ years to NOT bother the retailers with defective parts replacement, but to take that task on themselves. They simply can't do that and at the same time charge for replacement of DEFECTIVE/MISSING parts. That's having the cake and eat it. If they actually do that (I'll ask a friend with contacts), they will get the wrath of the retailers who will inevitably flood them. But surely they have a QC agreement with their moulder... but then this may not necessarily have been a filthy mould, but just as well contaminated granulate. And as I have been told Revell exactly prescribe their Polish injectors at least which plastic to use.

1 hour ago, tempestfan said:

I have been told Revell exactly prescribe their Polish injectors at least which plastic to use.

That is some interesting information.... I must admit I didn't know this kind of facility was located in Poland (resin and PE producers, yes, but companies to produce kits the size of 1/32nd Typhoons..... absolutely no idea, on that one). Having said all that, Poland is a modern, European nation, so why not?

Cheers.

Chris.

On the question of the QC process, I could well believe that the person doing the QC might only check certain aspects of the moulding and that this kind of imperfection could be easily over-looked. It's just a shame they didn't take five seconds longer and notice the moulded-in "dirt-particles". A case of "not seeing the wood for the trees"?

Chris.   

6 minutes ago, spruecutter96 said:

On the question of the QC process, I could well believe that the person doing the QC might only check certain aspects of the moulding and that this kind of imperfection could be easily over-looked. It's just a shame they didn't take five seconds longer and notice the moulded-in "dirt-particles". A case of "not seeing the wood for the trees"?

Chris.   

I doubt they’ll be doing more than a batch check, so something like those particles will likely go unnoticed.

Revell has moulded in Poland since they shut down moulding at Bünde - 1994? Mostly their legacy stuff, but also Matchbox, Monogram and ex-Heller moulds bought off Lodela. 

• Like 1