Humbrol Matt Cote and Alternatives

NORTHDUK

My old bottle of Humbrol Matt Cote has finally run out.  The local model shop has had it on order from Humbrol for a couple of months but has had no supply yet.  I bought a new bottle from an E-Bay seller but it doesn't give the usual clear matt finish.  There is a slight sheen to the finish and there are whitish streaks in places.  On-line prices from other sources are surprisingly high.  This has led me to wonder if there might be an alternative product that might be more reliable and more readily available.  What do other modellers use?  I need a product that can be applied by brush as I don't have an airbrush.

All comments and suggestions would be of interest.

Gordon McLaughlin

I use this all the time and never had a problem with it . It's my go to matt varnish.  Humbrol  must be the most easily available paint/varnish for modelers so there must be other suppliers near you.

Dick

Another vote for W&N Galeria varnish. Brushes on well, and can be thinned with a little water if required. Also airbrushes nicely, if you decide to take the plunge! Comes in nice big containers which last for ages.

Q

Dr. Quack,

Thanks for your reply.  Several people have recommended the W&N Galeria varnish and I intend to try it.  Apart from being reliable and easy to apply, it seems to have the great virtue of being cheap!

Best wishes,

Gordon McLaughlin

55 minutes ago, Dr. Quack said:

Another vote for W&N Galeria varnish. Brushes on well, and can be thinned with a little water if required. Also airbrushes nicely, if you decide to take the plunge! Comes in nice big containers which last for ages.

Q

Concur.