FROG F6F Hellcat......

Allan31

Ye Olde FROG Hellcat. Fun with old plastic. I'm sure we all know this classic.....

Screen_Shot_2021-06-28_at_7.11.08_PM.png

It does need a little help to make look acceptable. Mainly fix the canopy, adjust wing dihedral, and lengthen the landing gear.

I lengthened the sliding portion and shortened the windscreen. I enlarged the windows behind the sliding portion and will fill those with clear window maker.

thumbnail_(260).jpeg?width=1920&height=1

Wings were glued on at correct angle and filled.

thumbnail_(110).jpeg?width=1920&height=1

thumbnail_(111).jpeg?width=1920&height=1

Rather than lengthen the struts that I have mostly had little success with, I just lowered the mounting holes with square styrene.

thumbnail_(255).jpeg?width=1920&height=1

Print-Scale Decals were used for Lt(jg) Alexander Vraciu of the USS Intrepid, February 1944.

Screen_Shot_2021-06-28_at_7.23.34_PM.png

My own mixtures for the U.S. Navy colors using MMP paints that performed very well. All out-of-box except the canopy and decals...and the gun sight.

P1010036(1).jpg?width=1920&height=1080&f

P1010020(1).jpg?width=1920&height=1080&f

P1010019(1).jpg?width=1920&height=1080&f

P1010024(1).jpg?width=1920&height=1080&f

P1010039(1).jpg?width=1920&height=1080&f

I think I could have gone a little heavier with the weathering, they got fairly nasty out there on the carriers.

P1010038(1).jpg?width=1920&height=1080&f

P1010037(1).jpg?width=1920&height=1080&f

P1010029(1).jpg?width=1920&height=1080&f

P1010028(1).jpg?width=1920&height=1080&f

Next to the several Spitfires on the shelf, this was genuinely a big aircraft.

P1010045(1).jpg?width=1920&height=1080&f

Thanks for following along this long.

Edited by Allan31
  • Like 50
  • Thanks 2

Very nice Allan. I give you major credit for going with this Frog Hellcat when the much nicer ( and easier ) Eduard & Cyber Hobby ‘Cats are readily available.  It turned out great!!!!. :like:

Mike

• Like 1

First, I must say, I love the pic of the kit in the plastic bag - it really takes me back to simpler times.

As a build I would give your work top honours!

There's no way I could think that's a Frog kit without you declaring it.

I could build an Eduard or Armamodel kit of same and still fall short of your results!

:clap2::clap2:

Thanks everyone. I know there are better kits out there but they are so good the only thing to do is paint them.

I get a certain amount of satisfaction out of being able do some sculpting as well as painting. Wrestling these old kits into proper shape is fun for me.

Thanks everyone, glad you enjoyed. I know I have a knowledgable group here that appreciates what they are looking at.

Edited by Allan31

On 9/30/2021 at 6:56 AM, keith in the uk said:

Fantastic , i love it when these often overlooked old kits get the treatment they deserve , just goes to show with a little extra work these old kits still have plenty of life left in them yet . Now lets see what you can do with the Frog Beaufort .  :rage:

As a matter of fact the Beaufort is on the very short list of builds in the near future.

Now I've had a chance to see this on the home 'puter monitor, I'm even more impressed. I had always read that the Frog kit was a bit narrow in the spine among other short comings but I'm not seeing anything much wrong with this one, you've done a cracking job on it.

Steve.

Hi Allan,

I have read a lot about this kit, but I have never built it, mainly because I never came across it. But I never thought such a great result could be obtained.

Sterling work, indeed!

Congrats!

JR