Il-38N May. Amodel

Hello all. I’ve been beavering away with this one for the past six months in the WIP area and its now finished. If you would like to check out the build here is the link.

As per usual the Amonster kit comes with the fuselage and main wings moulded in glass fibre, the rest in (short run) plastic. The model has a scratch-built Novella housing as the kit offering was the wrong size and shape. The windscreen wipers are from an Ace etch fret. The decals are from Begemot sheets other than the flags which I made, and the colour is home mixed. The model weighs in at a hefty 485 grams, most of it in the front end to stop it being a tail sitter. I’ve included a couple of pics with my Nimrod for size comparison.

Hope you like it.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Thanks for looking.

Pete

• Like 58
  • Thanks 1

23 hours ago, Shorty84 said:

She looks really sinister in this dark grey scheme, but it suits her. Impressive how you crank out all these Amonster kits in short time 👍

Hope the nose gear won't collapse under the weight.

Thanks Markus. Even with all that weight in the nose the model is so finely balanced virtually all the weight is taken by the main wheels. I was worried that when I put the aerials on the rear fuselage it might tip the balance and make it a tail sitter.😁

22 hours ago, Flight Line Media said:

Wow, Pete! Nice, clean work! Impressive work.

Thank you very much.

There is very little weathering applied because its representing a nice new paint job. There's a bit of exhaust staining down the engines but it doesn't really show up in the photos.

14 hours ago, sammy da fish said:

Very well done Pete and such an unusual subject. You have more staying power than myself in finishing this to high standard

Cheers Simon. I did have to jab myself with a cattle prod a couple of times to spur me on.😀

3 hours ago, SAT69 said:

Both models are the work of a modeling craftsman.

You're very kind, Thank you.

• Like 1

This is, as others have written, a master class in modeling!  Agree with @stevehnz that the Nimrod chalks up high marks on beauty points, but the IL-38 is really a fascinating design, and not as big as I expected.  In comparison to the Nimrod, which is not that big an aircraft, it looks petite.   Do you have a P-3 for comparison?

• Like 2

Brilliant job on the May (and the Nimrod)! I know a little about Soviet/Russian aircraft but what in blazes is that guest room/solarium thingy sitting on top of the fuselage for? I presume it's for some sort of radar.

Regards,

Jason

• Haha 2

11 hours ago, stevehnz said:

Nicely done Pete, that has come up very well. No doubt though, the Nimrod takes it out in the good looks race. :)

Steve

Cheers Steve, yeah! I think you are right, the top hat doesnt do much for the May's looks.

11 hours ago, k5054nz said:

Congratulations Pete, what a finish. I always saw the May as something of a P-3 copy but she's far bigger than I thought as a kid

Thanks Zac. I used to have the Hasegawa Orion and from what I remember the May seems about the same size, maybe a bit longer. Very similar designs though.

10 hours ago, TheyJammedKenny! said:

This is, as others have written, a master class in modeling!  Agree with @stevehnz that the Nimrod chalks up high marks on beauty points, but the IL-38 is really a fascinating design, and not as big as I expected.  In comparison to the Nimrod, which is not that big an aircraft, it looks petite.   Do you have a P-3 for comparison?

Thank you, I was surprised too when I placed it next to the Nimrod, as you say its quite petite. I havnt got a P-3 any more to compare it with, but I think its around the same size. I was thinking of building another P-3 in Thai colours as I briefly got to work on one some years ago.

10 hours ago, Learstang said:

Brilliant job on the May (and the Nimrod)! I know a little about Soviet/Russian aircraft but what in blazes is that guest room/solarium thingy sitting on top of the fuselage for? I presume it's for some sort of radar.

Thanks Jason. The chunk on top is part of the Elint system I believe ( I prefer the guest room idea though😄) Theres some info here if you fancy a read. https://thaimilitaryandasianregion.wordpress.com/2016/01/15/ilyushin-il-38n-maritime-patrol-aircraft/

8 hours ago, kapam said:

Absolutely stunning!

I know Amodel kits don't just fall together (hardly!) so I'm greatly admiring of your result.

You definitely have the talent and skills!

Many thanks.

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, mitchem said:

Excellent stuff Pete. Looks very menacing in that colour scheme, and I wouldn't fancy one of those sneaking up on me 

Thanks very much.  It was the colour that drew me to make this version rather than the older grey one without radar or an SD version from India.

P.S did you hit the i key instead of the o in the second line .😁

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Pete in a shed said:

Thanks very much.  It was the colour that drew me to make this version rather than the older grey one without radar or an SD version from India.

P.S did you hit the i key instead of the o in the second line .😁

Crikey - thanks for the heads-up Pete !

I reckon I could have ended up sitting on the sidelines in the second half 🤣

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Lord Riot said:

That’s fantastic, the finish looks immaculate!

Great photo with the Mighty Hunter too; I didn’t realise there was ever a sharkmouthed Nimrod.

Thank you,

Yes, If I remember correctly the aircraft was on exercise in Malta and the sharks mouth and eyes appeared magically overnight! I did find a black and white photo of it on the internet but haven't kept it. Its probably still out there somewhere.  I also don't think the adornment stayed on the aircraft very long.

The decals came from this sheet.

Model Alliance MA72176: Nimrod MR.1/2P/R.1/AEW.3

Found it

spacer.png

• Like 1