Anyone here with the Airfix and/or Matchbox/Revell 1/72 Halifax ?

Rob de Bie

I'm busy drawing decals for 158 squadron Halifaxes. The decals include the callsign letters repeated on the landing gear. From photos I measure 15 or 16 inch tall letters.

spacer.png

But would letters of that size (5.3 and 5.6 mm respectively) fit on the landing gears of the both the Airfix and/or Matchbox/Revell 1/72 Halifax models? If someone has either (or both) models and could measure the available height, that would be wonderful. Thanks in advance!

Rob

18 minutes ago, Troy Smith said:

neat. Ever see this thread? 

@Graham Boak may have the kits mentioned to measure.

HTH

Thanks! No, I hadn't seen that thread, I am totally new to the subject. I'm creating the large decal set for all 158 squadron aircraft, that was requested in this thread:

It's mostly done, but I want the landing gear letters to actually fit on the two models.

Rob

20 minutes ago, Rob de Bie said:

but I want the landing gear letters to actually fit on the two models.

Hmm, well, there are 3 1/72 Halifax kits

Airfix Mk.III, old, OOP, and from the early 60's 

Matchbox Mk.I/II/V. was reissued by Revell,  but I'd be surprised if this come out again as  Revell then did a new tool, Mk.I/II,  and then a Mk.III,  this is the current kit. 

While the new tool Revell Mk.I/II kit had problems with the engines,  I think the Mk.III was overall OK.  

@tonyot  would be a good chap to ask as well, as he's likely to built them all.  

HTH

1 hour ago, Troy Smith said:

Hmm, well, there are 3 1/72 Halifax kits

Airfix Mk.III, old, OOP, and from the early 60's 

Matchbox Mk.I/II/V. was reissued by Revell,  but I'd be surprised if this come out again as  Revell then did a new tool, Mk.I/II,  and then a Mk.III,  this is the current kit. 

While the new tool Revell Mk.I/II kit had problems with the engines,  I think the Mk.III was overall OK.  

@tonyot  would be a good chap to ask as well, as he's likely to built them all. 

Oh dear.. I'm out of my league here. I'm waiting for help from the modeller who needs the decals for his models.

Rob

3 hours ago, JockMcPlock said:

There are Airfix kits from 1961, 1963, 1970, 1975, 1982, 1990 & 2005, along with the majority of kits being Revell 04936.

Thank you very much @dogsbody for getting those up to a rule.

I would be interested in seeing the 1982 Airfix boxing (I am something of an Airfix kit historian and strive to have all possible baggings and boxings of all aircraft kits up to 1985), and that 1982 date would indicate a Series 5 photobox, which I have so far not seen (in contrast to the 1987 version, which was elevated to Series 6).

I happened to have a MB kit handy, and the relevant section is a mere 2mm high - it appears fortunate the MB is not in this game here...

Hello Rob,

I have the Aerodata International No. 7 book on the HP. Halifax Merlin engined variants and the 1/72 scale plans and it shows the under-carriage area you are looking for to be 4mm.

Steve.

1 hour ago, tempestfan said:

I would be interested in seeing the 1982 Airfix boxing (I am something of an Airfix kit historian and strive to have all possible baggings and boxings of all aircraft kits up to 1985), and that 1982 date would indicate a Series 5 photobox, which I have so far not seen (in contrast to the 1987 version, which was elevated to Series 6).

I happened to have a MB kit handy, and the relevant section is a mere 2mm high - it appears fortunate the MB is not in this game here...

Here is the 1982 Series 6

Handley Page Halifax B Mk.III, Airfix 06008 (1982) (scalemates.com)https://www.scalemates.com/kits/airfix-06008-handley-page-halifax-b-mkiii--146962

It actually shows the timelines and boxes below it

Edited by JockMcPlock

Thanks for the link - but in this case I do not trust Scalemates dates. Their 1975 date is wrong for the Type 5 box, IIRC it was actually released 1978. Would you mind having a look at your box? There will be a (C) date somewhere, and I doubt it says 1982 - there were very few photoboxes with a 1982 (C) anyway (offhand I only remember Swordfish, Hunter 9, OV-10D, 727-200).

1 hour ago, tempestfan said:

Thanks for the link - but in this case I do not trust Scalemates dates. Their 1975 date is wrong for the Type 5 box, IIRC it was actually released 1978. Would you mind having a look at your box? There will be a (C) date somewhere, and I doubt it says 1982 - there were very few photoboxes with a 1982 (C) anyway (offhand I only remember Swordfish, Hunter 9, OV-10D, 727-200).

I can but will be in about 4 weeks till I get eyes on them again.

10 hours ago, dogsbody said:

Found some time and took this photo

Left to right: Airfix; Matchbox; Revell

Chris

Many thanks Chris! This answers all my questions. I had designed 16" tall lettering, and this fits nicely on the Airfix and Revell legs. The Matchbox kit is a bit of a problem..

Thanks again!

Rob

• Like 1

15 hours ago, dogsbody said:

Found some time and took this photo

Left to right: Airfix; Matchbox; Revell

51530688095_19544948a1_b.jpg

Chris

Clearly Chris, the one in the middle didn’t listen to their mum and smoked as a teenager and / or didn’t eat their vegetables. 

• Haha 2