Skyraider aew question

bigbadbadge

7 minutes ago, 71chally said:

@bigbadbadge don't worry too much, WV106 was definitely marked as 427-C in service and wore the D flight marking with dragon on the nose in service.

If you haven't seen it already I can try and get a grainy pic to you.

Thanks James that's good to know. I am not sure if seen I have looked at a few, is it the one looking from front three quarter Stb view with the display plinths in front of it? If so I have seen  but if not I don't think I have seen the image you're referring to and would love to see it if you wouldn't mind. 

Thanks

Chris

The 3rd edition of Air Britain's Squadrons of the FAA has (p.233) a photo of WV106 427/C "of 849 'D' Flight HMS Centaur ashore at RNAS Culdrose, 1959".  Everything about it says to me it's a genuine period photo of an in-service aircraft..  

A few things about the photo:

• it's a photo from the starboard rear quarter so it's not possible to tell what if any markings are carried on the cowling (obscured by wing);
  • the "427" side number is absolutely incontrovertibly ahead of the roundel.  Rounded style.
  • some Skyraider AEWs had the roundels painted in a non-standard lighter shade of blue, presumably to increase contrast between the roundel's blue and the airframe's Sea Blue Gloss overall colour scheme.  It appears to me that WV106 may have been one of these, at least when the photo was taken (but see below).  I seem to remember the Model Art range included a sheet with such lighter markings but I don't have it so can't provide any details.  IIRC Model Art had two bites at the FAA Skyraider AEW cherry: you need the later sheet.
  • the fin "C" is of the rounded style and unusually small; I'd guess at 8".
  • can't see underwing serials.
  • Wheel hubs look aluminium.

NB this is NOT the same photo as appears in the BARG monograph on the Skyraider, which features (p.43) the same aircraft at about the same time (July 1959)  from diametrically the opposite angle (port front quarter view).  Not often we get that!

• Athough there is contrast between the roundel and the airframe blues, it is not as marked as in the other photo.  I certainly wouldn't have argued for the paler blue roundel colour based on this photo alone.
  • An angular "D" is carried quite low on the cowling.  Dragon marking just discernable.
  • The white underwing serials are in the smaller size (all 5 characters on the folding portion of the wing)
  • Small rounded fin "C".
  • standard USN-style carrier approach stripes on port side of fin.

Hope this helps.

Edited by Seahawk
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, 71chally said:

The pic of WV106 on P43 of the BARG book does show it with the dragon, you can make it out inside, and superimposed over the 'D'.

Agreed, can just make it out on my copy too.

Mark.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, 71chally said:

The pic of WV106 on P43 of the BARG book does show it with the dragon, you can make it out inside, and superimposed over the 'D'.

Agreed: I think I was looking for the wrong thing.  Original post corrected.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Seahawk said:

The 3rd edition of Air Britain's Squadrons of the FAA has (p.233) a photo of WV106 427/C "of 849 'D' Flight HMS Centaur ashore at RNAS Culdrose, 1959".  Everything about it says to me it's a genuine period photo of an in-service aircraft..  

A few things about the photo:

• it's a photo from the starboard rear quarter so it's not possible to tell what if any markings are carried on the cowling (obscured by wing);
  • the "427" side number is absolutely incontrovertibly ahead of the roundel.  Rounded style.
  • some Skyraider AEWs had the roundels painted in a non-standard lighter shade of blue, presumably to increase contrast between the roundel's blue and the airframe's Sea Blue Gloss overall colour scheme.  It appears to me that WV106 may have been one of these, at least when the photo was taken (but see below).  I seem to remember the Model Art range included a sheet with such lighter markings but I don't have it so can't provide any details.  IIRC Model Art had two bites at the FAA Skyraider AEW cherry: you need the later sheet.
  • the fin "C" is of the rounded style and unusually small; I'd guess at 8".
  • can't see underwing serials.
  • Wheel hubs look aluminium.

NB this is NOT the same photo as appears in the BARG monograph on the Skyraider, which features (p.43) the same aircraft at about the same time (July 1959)  from diametrically the opposite angle (port front quarter view).  Not often we get that!

• Athough there is contrast between the roundel and the airframe blues, it is not as marked as in the other photo.  I certainly wouldn't have argued for the paler blue roundel colour based on this photo alone.
  • An angular "D" is carried quite low on the cowling.  Dragon marking just discernable.
  • The white underwing serials are in the smaller size (all 5 characters on the folding portion of the wing)
  • Small rounded fin "C".
  • standard USN-style carrier approach stripes on port side of fin.

Hope this helps.

Thanks Seahawk  fir the info, yes I have seen the photo you refer to on t'internet.    I was lucky enough to obtain the Modelart decal sheet with the Dragon motifs so am very pleased now.  I am definitely leaning towards WV106 at the mo.

18 hours ago, 71chally said:

Thanks James for confirming 

17 hours ago, Harry Lime said:

Agreed, can just make it out on my copy too.

Mark.

Thanks too Mark.

I have to say a very big thank you to all of you who have responded, I am very grateful for all of your input and I am excited about starting this now, I have put it off several times , however I am keen to get on after I have studied all of the info and images.

Thank you everyone 

Chris

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Troy Smith said:

@bigbadbadge

Coincidentally,  this was open as a tab,https://www.flickr.com/photos/142978726@N08/albums/72157668039935828/with/41336236414/

Has 4 period colour AEW Skyraider images, from HMS Eagle,. With some othe FAA images, perhaps of use.

Thanks Troy, some cracking images there,  I know that this is a Skyraider thread, but I particularly like the images of the Gannet on the elevator,  I have a Revell Gannet and Alley Cat Wingfold set so that's a very helpful image too.  Thank you very much indeed.

Chris

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1