VLR P-51D Mustang, 15th Fighter Group, 7th Air Force, Iwo Jima, 1945

russ c

Thought I`d put some sunny photo`s up to counter the rain and coincidently show you my latest completion which kills two birds with one stone🙂

sPREHca.jpg

My attempt at Eduards 1/48 VLR Mustang from the `Tales from Iwojima` boxing

n8fV7pW.jpg

Built almost completely OOB ,I did leave some bits of PE out and some pinged off into the carpet monster ( which is weird, as there isn`t a carpet in the kitchen ? )

D64X8sa.jpg

Had a hard time choosing from the many colourful options provided and in the end just went for the first one in the instruction booklet.

xpWG0AW.jpg

So in the markings of `Annie Lee` which was flown by Lt Col John W Mitchell who has fame by leading the mission against Yamamoto, April....

xxY8i6d.jpg

1943 which resulted in his demise.

xA6S1KS.jpg

Only thing I had to add was some wire brake pipes

saPkCMf.jpg

Suppose now I`ll have to pick up some weekend editions so I can make a few of the others on the decal sheet🙂

GkEk1Qp.jpg

Hope you enjoy the sunny pic`s, thanks for looking

Cheers Russ

• Like 54
  • Thanks 2

I like it very much. Just enough weathering and you can easily see the contrast between painted wing and the natural metal  fuselage.

Very  realistically displayed too.

It's excellent.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, noelh said:

I like it very much. Just enough weathering and you can easily see the contrast between painted wing and the natural metal  fuselage.

Very  realistically displayed too.

It's excellent.

Thanks Noel, I`m glad you noticed the contrast, I wasn`t sure people would make it out on the photo`s.🙂

Cheers Russ

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Dave Spencer said:

It looks great, especially the finish. What metallic paints did you use?

Thanks Dave, re: the paints: the fuselage, tail planes and rudder are humbrol chrome 191 with a few panels picked out in humbrol silver 11, the mainplanes are xtracolour x501 silver to represent the silver dope. Finished with humbrol acrylic clear and a few more fuselage panels picked out in the matt version. Panel lines and weathering in olive drabs and pencil.

Used satin medium grey for the under coat ( humbrol 165 I think )

Cheers Russ

• Like 1

On 9/29/2021 at 9:47 PM, russ c said:

Thanks Dave, re: the paints: the fuselage, tail planes and rudder are humbrol chrome 191 with a few panels picked out in humbrol silver 11, the mainplanes are xtracolour x501 silver to represent the silver dope. Finished with humbrol acrylic clear and a few more fuselage panels picked out in the matt version. Panel lines and weathering in olive drabs and pencil.

Used satin medium grey for the under coat ( humbrol 165 I think )

Cheers Russ

Beautiful build and finish as usual Russ

On the subject of using Humbrol 191 and 11 - I have never been very successful at spraying these - always seem to end up with a very grainy looking finish. Would be interested how you achieve your finish.

Cheers

Malcolm

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Baldy said:

Beautiful build and finish as usual Russ

On the subject of using Humbrol 191 and 11 - I have never been very successful at spraying these - always seem to end up with a very grainy looking finish. Would be interested how you achieve your finish.

Cheers

Malcolm

Thanks Malcolm, it`s brush painted, all my models are ( apart from a 1/350 Polar Lights Enterprise which I did with a rattle can ) 

Sorry I can`t help you

Cheers Russ

3 hours ago, russ c said:

Thanks Malcolm, it`s brush painted, all my models are ( apart from a 1/350 Polar Lights Enterprise which I did with a rattle can ) 

Sorry I can`t help you

Cheers Russ

LOL! Thank you Russ - I will give brush painting a go for metallics some time - I have done some experimenting in the past with some success.

Cheers

Malcolm

• Like 1