What are the best and worst kits of these aircraft? (1/72)

galaxyg

1 hour ago, CT7567 said:

SAAB Viggen:
Best: Special Hobby; Avoid: Matchbox, Airfix

There's the 1968 vintage Hasegawa as well, which depict the straightspined prototype. SH / Tarangus is indeed the undisputed top choice today.

Cheers,

Andre

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Hook said:

There's the 1968 vintage Hasegawa as well, which depict the straightspined prototype.

It is the same kit as the Frog. Even though Hasegawa keep releasing it with new decals, the only thing that can be built with the kit is one of the first three prototypes. 

So for a production version the only thing that can be used in a Hasegawa kit might be the decals.

• Like 1

Yeah.. I would avoid the old Viggens, unless you have them (and some AM) - if not, get the new Special Hobby/Tarangus one.. I´ve not built the 1/72 but the slightly older 1/49 (3). And maybe the 72nd scale is easier, but you need to be careful.. Dryfit and so on. I needed alot of filler and rescribing and sanding on my three big ones.

Shape is pretty much right through.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, CT7567 said:

Duplicating some commentary already noted above, but summarizing the list for those of which I have firsthand knowledge:

Awesome summary, thanks!

On 9/28/2021 at 5:41 PM, galaxyg said:

Hawker Hunter 1/72  - Research suggests Revell is best

Gloster Javelin - Research suggests Airfix, avoid Mistercraft

F-14 Tomcat  - no ideas on what is best here

Sukhoi Su-27 Flanker (early Revell kit best avoided, seems to look nothing like the real plane) / no ideas on best.

Blackburm Buccaneer (RAF version not Navy) - Research suggests Revell best here

Thanks,

Michael.

My thoughts and without looking at previous answers,

Hunter, definitely Revell F.6 and FGA.9 (kits 04350 & 03908)

Javelin, Heller T.3, Airfix T.3 and their FAW.9 with the HPM aft fuselage correction - raised panel lines but worth rescribing.  Frog kit ok in shape but a product of its time (mid '70s), tail fin needs thickening which is a devil.

Buccaneer, definitely the superb new Airfix (kit 06022).

Victor, Airfix B.2 and K.2, absolutely superb kits. The K.2 seems harder to get now and subsequently pricey, but I reckon will be re-released early next year for Falklands anniversary.  Matchbox/Revell is hard work, but the only choice a while back.

Hind, definitely the Zvezda kits (reissued by Revell kit 04839), these (along with their 48th version) are the only kits that feature the distinctive lean of the original.

I don't have in depth knowledge of these as types but,

Tomcat, I actually rather like the old Fujimi offering, I have the new Academy one (kit 12563) and that looks superb to me.

Su-27, I like the older Airfix/Heller kit, fun to build and looked good to me. Never looked at other alternatives though.

F-105D, I remember being gutted when I inspected the contents of the beautifully illustrated Hasegawa box, I preferred the Airfix F-105G! I've not seen the more modern Hobbyboss kits.

Edited by 71chally
  • Like 1