Sabena (DAT) BAe-146-200 in 1/144

Although they flew in full livery, Sabena’s BAe-146s and Avro RJs were actually operated by Delta Air Transport (DAT) which would later form the nucleus of Brussels Airlines following the collapse of Sabena in 2001. Here is the Revell BAe-146-200, one of my favourite airliner kits, finished as OO-DJJ circa 1996.

OO-DJJ was delivered new to DAT in 1991 and apart from a brief lease to Malmo Aviation in 2003/4 served until 2007. She is now a water bomber fighting fires with Neptune Aviation Services in the USA.

The Revell BAe-146 is a straightforward and enjoyable build apart from the rather fiddly undercarriage. The cabin window line is slightly too high and the windows are too small which isn't a big deal if you use decals. l placed the window decals about 1mm lower for better alignment with the large titles.

Paint is overall Halfords white. Decals are by Daco with Authentic Airliners windows. In 1996 OO-DJJ and some other DAT BAe-146s were decorated with “Suske and Wiske” (aka Spike and Suzy and other names depending on country) to celebrate 100 years of Belgian cartoon strips. Apparently there were plans for Tintin to feature on the Avro RJs but copyright issues got in the way.

Thanks for looking and constructive criticism is welcome.

Dave G

51527628534_b376ccff80_b.jpg

51526106862_ea0501b46e_b.jpg

51526105917_7695993efe_b.jpg

51526917846_b2e7a88fec_b.jpg

With the Sukhoi SSJ-100, a later and much less successful recruit to the Belgian national carrier

51526918051_035cc9064b_b.jpg

• Like 40
  • Thanks 1

• Skodadriver changed the title to Sabena (DAT) BAe-146-200 in 1/144

Nice one Dave. I've a soft spot for Sabena liveried birds & really like this, but after your glowing endorsement of the Revell kit, I'm tempted to look for one to do at least one of the several liveries they wore in our skies.

Steve. 

• Like 2

We must be thinking along the same lines Dave, I'm currently building one in Brussels Airlines colours! I agree that it is a lovely kit, it's a shame that it hasn't been available for quite some time now, I wonder if Revell will ever re-release it now that is has mostly disappeared from airports/airlines.

It's another beauty to add to your collection, thanks for the tip on the window line, those AA decals look fantastic as usual. 

What's next on the production line?

Cheers

John

PS - love the shot of the 2 together!

• Like 1

11 hours ago, RichieW said:

That looks just perfect to me. I have never made an airliner before but beautiful builds like this are tempting me to have a go.

Richie

Me too!

Another lovely job on your 146, Dave

Regards

Dave

• Like 1

Thanks for the kind comments and likes everybody - they are much appreciated :)

On 9/29/2021 at 8:03 AM, Viking said:

We must be thinking along the same lines Dave, I'm currently building one in Brussels Airlines colours! I agree that it is a lovely kit, it's a shame that it hasn't been available for quite some time now, I wonder if Revell will ever re-release it now that is has mostly disappeared from airports/airlines.

It's another beauty to add to your collection, thanks for the tip on the window line, those AA decals look fantastic as usual. 

What's next on the production line?

Cheers

John

PS - love the shot of the 2 together!

Thanks John. I still have a few 146s in the stash but like you I keep hoping that one or other version will be re-released. By the way if you have a -100 in your stash (TNT or STA) it has the correct window line unlike the -200. 

I'm not sure what will be next. When I posted my Air Wales ATR 42 a couple of months ago I mentioned that I'd suffered a complete mojo failure and came close to quitting the hobby. The supportive comments from fellow Britmodellers have been a great help and I hope that's behind me now but as part of the recovery I junked a whole load of half-built models and basically wiped the slate clean. The most likely next up is an A310 although a Tu-154 and/or a Boeing 733 might overtake it. At least I can say I'm building again!

• Like 3

Hi Dave, thats a really nice build you have done there , I have also completed one of these recently and certainly agree how the AA decals really bring it alive . nice job.                                                                                                                                                                  Cheers Michael.  

• Like 1

I have this kit from Revell in my stash and have even tried to take it out and start it a few times over the years but for some reason

the assembly instructions for the main landing gear seem to baffle me. Maybe it is because I am not usually an airline builder but I 

think the kit just looks neat when assembled. Just wish that I could get past all of those little parts in the gear well.

Your kit turned out amazingly clean and very well executed. I bow to your “plastic excellence”.

Todders 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, mitchem said:

Cracking build Dave of another airline giant that is no longer with us. 👍👍

Glad to say that in spite of the original copyright issues, Brussels Airlines eventually got their man !

Thanks very much Mike :)

The Brussels Tintin livery is fantastic and the Smurfs scheme is also wonderful. I'm pleased to see that both aircraft are back flying after the pandemic. PAS decals have sheets for both schemes. The Smurfs is probably do-able but with Tintin you have to mask the demarcation between the black and the pale blue and just thinking about that fries my brain :cyclops:

• Haha 1

A wonderfully build model.

The Superjet is also very nice.

I enjoyed the flights from Basel to London LHR on the Crossair BAe146 very much back on the 90s.

Crossair called them "Jumbolinos"

Incredibly comfortable and superb service on board.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Alex1978 said:

A wonderfully build model.

The Superjet is also very nice.

I enjoyed the flights from Basel to London LHR on the Crossair BAe146 very much back on the 90s.

Crossair called them "Jumbolinos"

Incredibly comfortable and superb service on board.

Thanks Alex

I loved flying on the 146 series although British Airways had six abreast seating which made theirs a bit cramped. A full power westwards take off from London City was always a fun experience. I remember one in particular on an Avro RJ100 with only about 30 passengers - it was like being shot from a catapult! I was sorry when they retired.

Dave G

• Like 2