Jump to content

The Royal Canadian Air Force's "Flying Banana", Piasecki H21C Shawnee


Recommended Posts

This is my 1/48 scale Royal Canadian Air Force Piasecki H21C Shawnee or more commonly known as "the Flying Banana" A couple of years ago I had a period of interest in helicopter models and I wanted to build the Flying banana because of its curious looks and the colourful Canadian scheme.

 

This helicopter type was widely used in the 1950's by the US army, and especially at the beginning the 1960's in the Vietnam war. This chopper was introduced in the maple leaf country in 1954 and its special assignments were search and rescue missions and special tasks in the Arctic areas. Because of the winterization of the chopper it could operate in sub-zero temperatures as low as -54 degrees centigrade.

 

I built the model from a 1/48 scale Italeri kit which was quite ok, but not reaching tamigawa quality, though. There were some fit issues and quite a bit of sink marks and some flash. The RCAF decals for the colourful helicopter are from Belcher bits and I also used an Eduard photoetch set to enhance the details.

 

spacer.png

 

spacer.png

 

spacer.png

 

Edited by Einar
  • Like 55
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Einar

Very nice work!  I have the Belcher Bits decals too, they provide an excellent opportunity to Canadianize models that are provided in the marking sof other countries.  The Greenwood Aviation Museum (Nova Scotia, CA) has recently restored a former American service of this type to RCAF markings identical  to yours.

Best Wishes

George

 

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, George W. said:

Einar

Very nice work!  I have the Belcher Bits decals too, they provide an excellent opportunity to Canadianize models that are provided in the marking sof other countries.  The Greenwood Aviation Museum (Nova Scotia, CA) has recently restored a former American service of this type to RCAF markings identical  to yours.

Best Wishes

George

 

Thank you George for the nice comments and the info you shared!

 

Cheers,

Matti 

 

 

 

I

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Lovely model mate and I love the subject choice too,...... RCAF helicopters of the period were very colourful indeed.

Cheers

         Tony 

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, tonyot said:

Lovely model mate and I love the subject choice too,...... RCAF helicopters of the period were very colourful indeed.

Cheers

         Tony 

Thanks Tony!

 

Cheers

Einar

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Paul J said:

Nice work. I did the same subject in 1/72nd with the Italeri kit and Leading Edge Models decals.

Thanks Paul,

 

Einar

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The H-21 has always been one of my favorite helicopters and yours does it justice very very well.

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 minutes ago, SAT69 said:

The H-21 has always been one of my favorite helicopters and yours does it justice very very well.

Thank you very much!

 

Einar

Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 hours ago, thorfinn said:

Also a big fan of Belcher Bits decals, and those...and your build...are stunning! Really beautiful build of a too-rarely-seen a/c.

Thank you very much,

 

Einar 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

This is a lovely build and I like the scheme.  I have this kit in the stash and was going to do a NMF but given your comments I might have to inspect the kit and reconsider if I also have a bunch of sink marks.

Thanks for posting!

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Very nice, there was an ex-RCAF H-21 in these colors at a gas station in Canada that the owner was giving away for free. Sadly it is thought the first person to respond took it to the scrappers.

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, Scooby said:

Very nice, there was an ex-RCAF H-21 in these colors at a gas station in Canada that the owner was giving away for free. Sadly it is thought the first person to respond took it to the scrappers.

Thank you! 

 

poor chopper, what a waste😧

14 hours ago, Harold55 said:

This is a lovely build and I like the scheme.  I have this kit in the stash and was going to do a NMF but given your comments I might have to inspect the kit and reconsider if I also have a bunch of sink marks.

Thanks for posting!

Thank you Harold!

 

Einar

Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 hours ago, twinpin said:

Really nice

Thank you!

 

Einar

On 01/10/2021 at 16:55, F-32 said:

A lovely unusual build

Thank you!

 

Einar 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hi Einar,

 

this is what I call a happy kit!

I love the color scheme, and there is no way they could remain lost in the frozen North very long with this color combination. 

The subject floats my boat as well, as I really like this chopper.

But Belcher Bits is a great unknown for me... 

So congratulations are in order for such a great build!

 

Keep having fun!

 

JR

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...
On 03/10/2021 at 15:36, jean said:

Hi Einar,

 

this is what I call a happy kit!

I love the color scheme, and there is no way they could remain lost in the frozen North very long with this color combination. 

The subject floats my boat as well, as I really like this chopper.

But Belcher Bits is a great unknown for me... 

So congratulations are in order for such a great build!

 

Keep having fun!

 

JR

Thank you JR, Have fun you, too!

 

Einar

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...