Wingspan of prototype Mosquito

Admiral Puff

I've always had a soft spot for the prototype Mosquito, mainly because it first flew exactly (to the day!) five years before I was born. Consequently, I'm preparing some drawings of it preparatory to converting something (probably a Tamiya kit).

I have a set of side elevations by Mark Rolfe, which were published in the October 2005 edition of SAM. They include a note that on the PR.1, developed from the prototype, the wing span was "increased by 20 in. (0.58 m)". I take that to mean 254mm on each side, but what's not clear is where that amount should be taken out to model the prototype. I presume that it was simply a reshaping of the tip outboard from the aileron, but I have no plan view to confirm. Am I correct in that assumption, or was the insertion a more serious alteration? Shortening the tips will be easy enough, provided that I have a reliable plan to give the right shape, but it won't be so if the change was more structural. Any wisdom out there?

I remember that somebody had done a resin conversion kit for the prototype.  I'm thinking it might have been Blackbird Models but I'm not positive.  The one thing I remember from the description was that the conversion had the shorter stabilizer and elevator of the prototype.  Maybe there was more to it.  HTH.

Later,

Dave

I've checked the Warpaint, the Profile and the DH Putnam book and I can't find any reference to a change in wingspan although a vague bell is ringing in my head.

A further search reveals the SAM Modellers Datafile states (of the NF.II prototype) "larger tailplanes..............................and extended wingtips".

I think both Scale Aircraft Modelling and Paragon produced conversions for the prototype, both had the smaller tailplanes, shorter nacelles and early exhausts. The Paragon set included shorter wingtips, not sure about the SAM one.

You can see the details of the Paragon set here https://robdebie.home.xs4all.nl/models/e0234.htm

• Thanks 1

See this from the RAAF Museum. 20in increase in wingspan from Prototype but doesn’t, on a quick reading identify how it was made. It is also noted in the Appendix 4 to Bowyer & Sharps Mosquito book and again I can’t see a reason being given or how it was carried out.

https://www.airforce.gov.au/sites/default/files/minisite/static/7522/RAAFmuseum/exhibitions/restoration/dh_98.htm

Edited by EwenS

This is a project I'd like to do one day. 

A recent conversion set was done by Alley Cat models, which I used to build W4051 - see here - https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235014552-172-boston-mosquito-beaufighter-and-blenheim/&tab=comments#comment-2589945

Alec is no longer retailing his products, but www.modelsforsale.com will be doing that. No sign of that as yet however.

On a brighter note however, Scott Bregi posted a conversion using the 1/72 Tamiya Mosquito IV on Hyperscale way back in 2003 - fill your boots!

http://hsfeatures.com/mosquitoprototypesb_1.htm

Cheers,

Matt

Edited by bombernut
Missed something

Yes, the term span refers to the entire wing, otherwise the term semi-span is used.  20 inches overall, so 10 inches a side.

One tip for a reshapen wingtip is to remember that the furthest extension will be at the place of maximum thickness i.e. the wing main spar or about 25% chord.  So measure this out, cut off the tip and then file the remainder to two smooth curves, the leading edge being the smoother curve.

• Like 1

Thanks all. There's enough here to keep me ferreting around for quite a few days! And particular thanks for the suggestion of the de Havilland Aircraft Heritage Centre, Peter - I completely overlooked the most obvious source, as usual!

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Admiral Puff said:

Thanks all. There's enough here to keep me ferreting around for quite a few days! And particular thanks for the suggestion of the de Havilland Aircraft Heritage Centre, Peter - I completely overlooked the most obvious source, as usual!

Yeah, know the feeling! 😉

Oh, that we can travel again, bit hard when we’re on the wrong side of the planet….

Edited by Peter Roberts
  • Like 1