George Washington, 1796

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

George-06.jpg

This is my first larger scale bust project. Prior to this, all of my figure painting had either been 1/35 scale or Warhammer figures. I'm an unapologetic George Washington fanboy and one of my favorite books is Ron Chernow's "Washington: A Life," so as soon as I found out this bust existed, I had to have it. The bust itself, from FeR Miniatures, looks to be a combination of Gilbert Stuart's "Lansdowne Portrait" (the clothing) and the more famous "Athenaeum Portrait" (the expression) and is pretty good overall. My only niggle is the eyes; I wish they were a little more open but it does more or less match Stuart's paintings.

The skin is mostly acrylic work accented with oils with the hair being all oils over an acrylic base. The jacket and waistcoat is Tamiya acrylics accented with oils, and the undershirt is all acrylics. The plinth—unseen—is from Bases By Bill, a custom wooden base maker out of Michigan, USA.

Comments and criticism is welcomed as always!

• Like 13

• 2 weeks later...

I cannot tell a lie; that is a well painted bust. I was particularly struck by the fabrics, the velvet coat with silk buttonholes. Also the ribbon in his hair and the hair itself is lovely, that's always a difficult portion for me. I did at first think the skin looked rather lumpy and doughy but looking at the portraits, that's spot-on too. He did spend a lot of time outdoors and looks every inch the farmer. 

You asked for criticism, I wonder whether the shirt/stock (whatever it is) would have been better done in oils. The portraits seem to suggest silk here and your acrylics and wash (?) technique suggest a much coarser and perhaps even dirty fabric. 

That small point aside, I think that's really good work especially for a first big bust. You and I are at the same point in the figure painting hobby, experienced with Warhammer and 1/35 but new to the big stuff. Already I feel I've got to raise my game to catch you up!