David´s highlights from the workbench - Tornado, CS-199

Hello all,

I decided to establish this thread to present and share some of my builds or post some progress actually laying on my workbench. The reason behind this is that I am not able to maintain a thread with a certain subject in progress due to several reasons. Therefore I established a similar thread for my Czech friends on Kitforum written in the Czech language. There on Britmodeller I intend to post similar content (in EN of course) and will try to update it as the time and other circumstances will allow.

Also, let me shortly introduce myself. I am living in the Czech Republic and modelling for more than 25 years. My favourite subjects are 72 scale fighter planes WWII or modern. I am trying to make collections like training aircraft or Finish, Swedish, Czech, Royal air force etc. Occasionally I am also making armour tanks or ships.

In the past, I also presented and attended some group builds here on Britmodeller.

Last time I present most of my finished builds on the 72insight blog.

Edited by David Koktavý
Change of tittle to actual status

Well, let´s start. Last project on my desk was a Tornado kit from Hasegawa. I made progress till phase before strarting colouring. Then it is common for me to put away the kit and make something different.  There on the picture is a Tornade prepared for camouflage . It will be the Tornado ECR from Tigermeet Cambrai 1994.spacer.png

• Like 6

And now I came back to 1:72 Modelsvit Mirage III EA. Thanks to Alex Stella presenting his Mirage here on BM , I was very inspired to start building mine.
But at first some photos from the past and also the important preparation for colouring. As usual, I am mixing appropriate shades from Tamiya acrylics paints.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

file.php?id=13082&mode=view

Edited by David Koktavý
  • Like 4

Current status, I started to spray upper surfaces at first, at the end I will do the lower surface. The reason behind this is less effort to correct the pattern between three colours of upper and the fourth lower colour.

spacer.png

Edited by David Koktavý
  • Like 9

• David Koktavý changed the title to David´s highlights from the workbench - now Tornado, Mirage III EA
15 minutes ago, David Koktavý said:

The reason behind this is less effort to correct pattern between three colours of upper and the fourth lower colour.

Makes lots of sense and I'm looking forward to seeing your painting progress on both the Mirage and Tornado.

• Thanks 1

Some progress again. Till now I would say the build went well. But some little disasters happen now 🥴. During masking the lower surfaces I wanted to cut-out excess piece of Tack-it. Unfortunately I also have cut-out a little piece of left inlet cone tip. The following correction caused another mistake. I also glued the pitot tube in front. Well, let´s guess how many times I manage to broke it again during manipulation 😏  Both points I am going to polish and overspray.  Now I have the Mirage prepared for another little tunning and corections (see marks). 

spacer.png

• Like 6

• 3 weeks later...
  • David Koktavý changed the title to David´s highlights from the workbench - now F-4U 5 Corsair

Well, the Mirage  is lying aside in order to allow to dry the top coat before applying wash.

Now the time has come to make some progress on kit which is quite ignored by manufacturers. Therefore I decided to provocate Mr. Murphy who could initiate some activity... and maybe some manufacturer will announce new molds kit of late Corsairs (as usual when building old kit) 😉 

Warning , next pictures are quite drastic 🤪

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.pngspacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Edited by David Koktavý
  • Like 4

As you could see, I corrected the biggest inacuraccy of the kit. Hovever I evaluated it as better choice than Italeri F-4 U7 which is also wrong in U7 and U5 versions point of view.

Now I made a proper sprues for U5 version and can start the build as usual kit 🙂

spacer.png

Edited by David Koktavý
  • Like 1

Following build will be OOB with some little improvements to corect, corected box 🙂

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

I enlarged a corrected rear wheel bays to be more accurate

spacer.png

Current status

Please don´t be motivated to build this one too. Lets´ wait, I think Murphy will come with some manufacturer to announce new kit soon 😆

• Like 8
  • Haha 1

Well, now it is time to have a small celebration. I think modeling is not only about building, but also finishing the kits and putting into displaycabinet. For me it is not the last stage. Last stage is to take pictures and make some post on blog or forum with finished kit. Here is the LINK  to blog with published article of my P-40 in Brazilian colours. 

P-40 K Brazilian Air Force

spacer.png

Edited by David Koktavý
Correction of text
  • Like 4

On 10/27/2021 at 3:30 AM, David Koktavý said:

Lets´ wait, I think Murphy will come with some manufacturer to announce new kit soon

I'd be very pleased if our friends at Tamiya, or Arma, or Eduard, or ... came to the party after all your hard work here to render a much better F4U-5. Do you fancy tempting fate again and continuing the theme with a F4U-7 as well?

Would that make a new-tool kit of each doubly likely?

Fabulous work on the Corsair so far and a great finish to the Kittyhawk, David - congratulations!

cheers,

Andrew.

• Thanks 1

It is too early to ask, as there is still long way to point when it will be ready for camouflage. But as usual for that NAVY colour, I intend to use my personal Tamiya mix.  X4 blue with some amount of black (to make it more dark.. ) and maybe a little drop of X16 to catch "right shade" 🙂

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

Some little update:

My concentration is now on P-47 D from Tamiya. The reason is that we have a small group build in our local club. The theme is a subject with Pin-up girl, or something related to womens. Therefore I have choosen P-47 M "Josephine, My flying machine" with nice art on the cowl . I know it will not be 100% accurate M version, but I hope some missing details will be accetable.  I only used Quick Boost resin conversion of extended tail. It fits quite well.  Of course I will use 13" Curtis Electric propeller. As I didn´t find the differences between front part of the P&W engines I used it straight OOB as well as the other parts. 

Bellow some photos and current progress. 

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Edited by David Koktavý
  • Like 4

• David Koktavý changed the title to David´s highlights from the workbench - now P-47 M
  • 4 weeks later...

Let me share the dramatic final chapters of my P-47 story 🙃

After decaling, washing and common procedures I was near the finish. BUT :facepalm: when I was adding the antena mast I realised it is too close to the canopy which can not be opened. The reason is that Quickboost enlarged fin which is too large ( definitelly useless). So I decided to correct this part, shorten the fin and move antena mast.

spacer.png

spacer.png

After demasking the canopy, the typical fog from inside was appeared.

spacer.png

I had to remove canopy and unfortunatelly I made a mistake and some little part of canopy was cut.

Therefore I had to fill it and correct it 🙄

spacer.png

It seems finished, isn´t it? No. As I put the kit into display cabinet near the others P-47 (Academy, Hobby Boss) I realised that the pose of Tamiya P-47  is strange.

spacer.png

The investigation results were that the spinner tip should be in 1/72 arround 39 - 40mm above the ground. Academy is 43mm (I know that it was not correct). Hobby boss I had right 39,5 mm and Tamiya was 37mm. So I decided to correct it again. I enlarged legs about 2mm. 

spacer.png

Now the pose is right and I like it. The only sacrifice is bad looking of short cover, but fortunatelly it is not too visible. For the other builds I plan enlarge the legs and cover too.

spacer.png

Well the story is finished. I will post the finished kit soon.

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

Dear all,

as it seems my workbench is empty, it is not right. As I participate in our local group build , I preferentially post some progress here: https://kitforum.cz/viewtopic.php?t=2195 . I think you can simply guess which subject it is 🙂

spacer.png

Well, the kit is perfect, only with some little imperfections which you can ignore or improve as per your preference. 

file.php?id=14502&mode=view

• Like 3