David´s highlights from the workbench - Tornado, CS-199

I like the paint and decal execution on the Mirage III.

The road to building an accurate F4U-5, AU-1 or F4U-7 in 72 scale is not an easy one. Nobody does a good F4U-4 to begin with, having the proper lower fuselage contours. On top of that, Vought revised the production tooling from the -5 on, probably to better handle the R2800-32W "Double Twister" superchargers. This led to a notable "kink" in the contours on the fuselage sides.

The 48th scale Hasegawa Corsairs depict this, but they have their own set of construction challenges.

It's a pity that the late Corsairs are not better rendered in 72 scale. By that point, most of the bugs had been worked out of the design. I got to ride in the back of a -5 on 3 occasions and the plane is a runaway freight train.

-d-

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, David H said:

I like the paint and decal execution on the Mirage III.

The road to building an accurate F4U-5, AU-1 or F4U-7 in 72 scale is not an easy one. Nobody does a good F4U-4 to begin with, having the proper lower fuselage contours. On top of that, Vought revised the production tooling from the -5 on, probably to better handle the R2800-32W "Double Twister" superchargers. This led to a notable "kink" in the contours on the fuselage sides.

The 48th scale Hasegawa Corsairs depict this, but they have their own set of construction challenges.

It's a pity that the late Corsairs are not better rendered in 72 scale. By that point, most of the bugs had been worked out of the design. I got to ride in the back of a -5 on 3 occasions and the plane is a runaway freight train.

-d-

https://tailspintopics.blogspot.com/2014/03/f4u-4-modelers-notes.html

https://tailspintopics.blogspot.com/2017/04/the-last-propeller-pulled-corsairs-f4u.html

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

• 2 weeks later...

Hello, only short note about my current status on my workbench, Wildcat is going slowly to the finish  🙂  I learned a lot about Wildcat design and versions e.g. formation lights, landing light etc... Regarding landing light, I didnt improve it on the model, but I intend to do it on another Wildcat. 

Improvement of the cockpit rear section as visible on the real subject.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 7

• 3 weeks later...

Well, after finishing the Wildcat I continue work on Twinn Otter and Corsair Birdcage. Pictures will follow soon. 

I also have a new post on our blog. It is uncommon subject for me, which I was building about 13 years. 

You can see it here: PzKpfw VI B Königstiger 1/72 Dragon . I think also other posts are worth to look, especially recently finished Avia BH-3 1/72 build by Dušan Vrážel.

spacer.png

David, I am your topic's observer as I like your modelling skills and topics very much. Waiting for progress with Tornado (I am struggling my own Revell Tornado now - quite heavy fight 😉 ) but now I must admit I love Twin Otters! What a pitty we haw only very obsolete Matchbox kit untill now. We wait new kit from Special Hobby, Airfix and so on 😉 Could you show us more photos this colourful bird? Out of Box standard or some improvements? Very tidy work. 

Best regards,

Michał

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 2/14/2022 at 1:01 PM, amos brierley said:

Hello David K.     Some nice work - all very animal inspired - Otter , Wildcat , Tiger , all you need now is say something like ( an RAF HC2 ) Puma ( helicopter ) to mix up your model bench subjects.     😄

It is really good idea, yesterday I bought another tank, a Leopard 1/72 kit 😃  but I would like to build Puma as well 👍

On 2/14/2022 at 1:13 PM, socjo1 said:

David, I am your topic's observer as I like your modelling skills and topics very much. Waiting for progress with Tornado (I am struggling my own Revell Tornado now - quite heavy fight 😉 ) but now I must admit I love Twin Otters! What a pitty we haw only very obsolete Matchbox kit untill now. We wait new kit from Special Hobby, Airfix and so on 😉 Could you show us more photos this colourful bird? Out of Box standard or some improvements? Very tidy work. 

Best regards,

Michał

Well, my Tornado (Hasegawa) is sleeping but ready to start camouflage. I also started the Revell kit, but only a few pieces from the sprue. I am inspired by your build and build by Libor Jekl. Unfortunatelly the Revell is not much more easier than Hasegawa as oneman could expect. It will take some time I will come back to Tornados, as I have to clean my desk and move some "animals" into displaycabinet 😁

Thanks to both to yours kind words. 

Edited by David Koktavý

Regarding Twin Otter, current status is shown bellow:

spacer.png

I intended straight OOB quick build as it is not worth to invest too much time to that really old kit. Nevertheless I made some changes and improvements.

The OOB fuselage is empty, therefore I made complete antenas set acc. to photos. I improved pitot tubes and step struts on the front. Reworked possition light on the rudder.

Finally I reworked last windows in the doors. Original was filled and I am going to put there convex circular window. I also rescribed the port doors as there was another design. 

Bellow photo of the real subject.

spacer.png

• Like 2

Really nice looking Otter, it is not very frequent picture , thanks fot photos - and for kind words about my Tornado as well.

I begun doing Otter too however at first I have to finish Mig Eater. I hope in March will back with Otter again, if you want you can see it here (progress is very slow at now however maybe you will like videos). 

https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235105343-pk-127-young-old-aviation-corporation-twin-otter/

Did you engraved lines? They look nicely dark.

Regards,

Michał

Edited by socjo1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Hello again,

today I would like to update this thread with two subjects. At first , during a holidays I started and quite quickly finished the Leopard 2 tank in finnish army colours. It is the Dragon 1/72. I tried to make white snow ground for it. 

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Now finished kit and real subject. As you can see, the kit is not 100% accurate, but for relax purposes for plane building modeller, I think it is accetable 🙂

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 5

• David Koktavý changed the title to David´s highlights from the workbench - Alphajet, Leopard 2

The second subject is recently released KP Alphajet. I started build some time ago.  Well, is there anybody who can help me with english language ?  I really can not find right decent wording for that piece of bu...hit (even badly copied from Fujimy (?) )).  Sorry, I am really disappointed.  Comparing the AJet with building the Twinn Otter there is not 50 years difference of quality. Even I would say, the AJet kit seems to be a first attempt of short run production in 1950´s  , not in 2022 😭
Despite this statement I managed to build that poor kit and now it is prepared for camouflage.  Now I am again switching for another build, the Eduard´s Hellcat...

spacer.png

spacer.png

Edited by David Koktavý
  • Sad 3

• 1 month later...

Well after some time, I am able to update this thread and write a few words. I don´t 

Let´s don´t  keep chronological order of my work progress as is more suitable to present some parts of kit progress. Therefore continuing with Alfajet, I finished a stage before applying the decals. Now I am waiting to right time to start decaling. 

spacer.png

spacer.png

I finished the Mirage II EA from Modelsvit. The final stage was as usual very hard. A various corrections, retouching, broken pitot tube, gluing the small pieces of mirror and instruments on to canopy frame etc. etc. It took at least 5 Hrs, but finally I was able to put it into display cabinet. 

spacer.png

Edited by David Koktavý
Picture addition
  • Like 4

Now I can introduce next project in progress. In the past I started the Airfix BAE Hawk T.1  I used the Red Arrows boxing, but wanted to make common black camouflage. I realised soon, that there are different sprues than in normal Airfix Hawk box. Especially there are missing gunsights in the box and the sprues are really different. To my surprise I would say the fitting is slightly better than on the common Airfix Hawk box which is also suplied with the armament sprue.

spacer.png

The canopy pieces are from my point of view quite in bad quality. I had some struggle with fitting and gluing the front frame. I performed it at least 3 times with corrections and polishing till I get accetable result. 

The next point was the canopy masking. Well where Eduard made a mistake? 😅 Fortunatelly it is not big issue...

spacer.png

Finishing the mirage III definitivelly convinced myself that I need a visit the ophthalmologist and diskuss the optical system, especially glasses 🧐

At the moment I started to use the head magnifier which allows me to perform some very small operations, e.g. slats on the leading edge.

spacer.png

At the end the final photo, as I finished rough build on the Hawks and now I can start to make camouflage

spacer.png

• Like 5

• David Koktavý changed the title to David´s highlights from the workbench - Alphajet, BAE Hawk
  • 2 weeks later...

Hell fellow Britmodellers,

some next update, but first of all it is time to present some finished kits. Modeling is not only about building, but also finishing, taking photos and finally presenting models.

Well I put the Gloster Pioneer here into Galery

And also there is some update on our blog. Dušan Vrážel with his Letov Š-21  and myself with the Me-109 Duo

spacer.png

• Like 1

Well, let´s continue with some progress. Starting the Academy A-37 Dragonfly some time ago, now the stage before decaling is finished. Now I will let the gloss coat dry for some time and then I really looking forward to Academy´s plank decals 😅

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 2

• David Koktavý changed the title to David´s highlights from the workbench - Alphajet, A-37 Dragonfly
  • 4 weeks later...

Dear fellow britmodeller. Time is running very fast and I realized, despite my continuous progress on the work bench, I didn´t update this thread for longer time. So there is a brief "report"

A-37 prepared for the panel liner wash

spacer.png

The Alphajet is finished. I will come back to it later once it will be photographed

spacer.png

I started to make camouflages on the Hawks. 

Pink looking

spacer.png

Red looking

spacer.png

Black 🙂

spacer.png

• Like 3

Maybe I have one question or demand. I make the Red Arrows Hawk inspired by the first female pilot Fl. Lt. Kirsty Moore in the Red Arrows team. I found some stories about her, but found only one notice she flew Hawk XX179.

So please if anybody knows how are the Aircrafts asigned to pilot, or what aircraft serial she flew, please let me know.

Despite I found lot of pictures with Lt. Kirsty Moore in the cockpit, there is not visible XX serial as it is writen on the exhaust area. 

• David Koktavý changed the title to David´s highlights from the workbench - Bae Hawk
  • 1 month later...