Dirty BA White ?

Airbusboy

Hello all

My next project is to be the recently released Revell BA B767-300ER 'Chelsea Rose'.

Research, and a flight on the actual a/c around five years ago, has shown that for most of its life, both as 'Chelsea Rose' and then in standard BA colours, this particular 767 appeared to have had a replacement nose cone - as can be seen here. This being considerably whiter than the rest of the fuselage (some photos show this more than others).

I would like to replicate this, and would appreciate some advice on what would be a good paint mixing strategy for replicating the rather 'dirty' white appearance of the fuselage. 

Btw, here's a picture that I took waiting to board at Heathrow that shows the nose cone better:

spacer.png

Kind regards

• 2 weeks later...

Strangely enough I was watching a live stream from LAX the other day and a BA 777 arrived and I noticed exactly the same thing! I don't have a suitable model to try it on, but we have a Ford Focus in Frozen White which is the 'whitest' white I've seen on a car. Parked to most other makes it makes them look like light grey or cream! So I was thinking maybe spraying the radome in Frozen and the rest of the airframe in 'another' white might work? 

Otherwise if using modelling paint use 'pure' white for the radome and add a touch of grey to darken it for the reast of the fuselage?

I read somewhere that Boeing lists 49 different whites in their colour range!

Keith

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
9 hours ago, Nick Belbin said:

So Keith, is Frozen White whiter than Diamond White? Or is it the same white under a different name does ya reckon? I always thought Diamond White was a very white white . . .

Nick

Much whiter I'd say Nick, I've had cars in both and frozen I think is dazzling in comparison! Unfortunately I no longer have a diamond RS2 to park alongside for a comparison pic!! :)

Keith

Hi,

At the risk of repeating some old news. Could it be that the  aircraft has a new nose cone that this been painted in the current BA "Superwhite" paint?

When BA started taking deliveries of their A380's in July 2013, I noticed that the white was significantly brighter than previous aircraft and this was playing havoc with my colour matching software.  As a commercial photographer, colour is quite important to me and I was perplexed by the difference, which couldn't be put down to simply newly painted aircraft vs weathering. It was so much brighter. I went in search of an answer. Eventually, my contact in BA's Flight Operations contacted someone in BA's aircraft servicing who confirmed that BA had changed their white to what, at that time, he called "Superwhite". I believe that this was part of a mini re-branding exercise that they did at that time. It may have another name by now, but all new and repainted aircraft are now in that colour. 

Regards,

David