1/35 Ian McQue's Remora flying boat [scratch build]

I'm going to guess that I'm not the only one that goes into a store and stares and stares and stares at products and then asks what may be considered a stupid question to a member of the store staff just to get a quizzical look and a wish on their part that I would just leave.

As has been said by others here. Your attention to detail is bar none second to none and also the use of a bottle cork... Me too but mostly for the cork chips. The problem with the these is that they come attached to a bottle, usually wine and once the cork has been removed there is an obligation to consume the wine which does tend to make the hands a little unsteady.

I just know that the paint job on this is going to be superb. There's way too much to like.

Had to open the image in a separate window so that I could study that as I scrolled down. Would be nice if the website had the ability to do that in a sidebar but that's just me.

Fantastic stuff and very exciting to watch as it unfolds.

P.S. Your workspace is insanely tidy which reflects in your work style. Impeccable.

Mine...Not so and also reflects!

Brian.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Just catching up on this and so glad I have,  I own modelling books that are not as inspirational as you work.  Please keep posting - Andy.  PS you are far to harsh upon yourself with regards to your efforts at graffiti, if you walk around Norwich were I live the vast majority of the 'artists' are not Banksy's 😉 

• Thanks 1

Thanks a lot!

----------------------------------

I realized that I was in the stage "finish it quickly or you won't finish it at all". So I started putting together everything that I had created before. By the way, I found things that I completely forgot 🤣 unfinished, of course. Murphy's Law: if something can spoil the plans, it will. The wheelhouse had an unfinished windshield wiper and unpainted chimney. I started with the chimney, by the way I also finished a generator's chimney that will be attached to the port side.

spacer.png

Then I finished the windshield wiper. I want the windows to be dirty, so using tamiya tape I secured the area "wiped clean".

spacer.png

To get the windows dirty, I used a very diluted desert tan vallejo primer. I used this technique for the first time, so I was afraid to overdo it, and in the end I think the dirt is too weak (the photo distorts it a bit).

spacer.png

I can consider the wheelhouse finished.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

In the meantime, I'm making the crew. This is a nightmare for me, because character painting is very far from my comfort zone. Therefore, there are usually no people in my models. No, "usually" is not a good word. There are NEVER people 😉 But this model requires staff because it's too big to be empty, so I'm struggling with myself and slowly moving forward.

Helmut was fired again, because he was wearing inappropriate clothes (the others two have jackets and coats, and he wears Bermuda shorts and a tank shirt).

His successor is a Tamiya Flak crewman in a winter uniform. I had to "demilitarize" him. First, I hid the belt and the dimple in the jacket.

spacer.png

Then I added a giant belly. It made me realize that no big company makes fat soldier models, right?

spacer.png

Adding a placket (?) I'm not sure what it's called

spacer.png

"Guantánamo prisoner phase".

spacer.png

In the next update I will try to post the finished (painted) crew.

W.

• Like 9

Here they are. "Tres deliquentes". The whole three is far from ideal, but I can't do it better. Yes, I know they don't have eyes :) I don't even try to paint it. I assume that better is a shadow made by contrast than a "ping pong eyeballs".

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

The bent man is a bit out of focus. I was taking photos with my old SLR that I hadn't used in years and was out of practice. The depth of field is too small.

Finally, a photo that I forgot about previously. The hull with the glued set of rudders and with the front box of unknown purpose.

spacer.png

• Like 12

20 hours ago, voozet said:

Here they are. "Tres deliquentes". The whole three is far from ideal, but I can't do it better. Yes, I know they don't have eyes :) I don't even try to paint it. I assume that better is a shadow made by contrast than a "ping pong eyeballs".

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

The bent man is a bit out of focus. I was taking photos with my old SLR that I hadn't used in years and was out of practice. The depth of field is too small.

Finally, a photo that I forgot about previously. The hull with the glued set of rudders and with the front box of unknown purpose.

spacer.png

I think your dead right with the shadows for eyes as opposed to the ping pong eyeballs. At that scale you wouldn’t really see them . I have done figures with full on eyes and ones with shadows and generally prefer the later as to me they just look right. That being said it’s really down to particular sculpt as well. 
  These look great and so does the boat!! 

• Thanks 1

It might have been mentioned before but you should really consider doing the entrophy group build at some stage next year. See link and it’ll explain the ethos:

it’d be great to see what you could in this. It’s currently in the group build bunfight. So if interested then please don’t forget to vote.

best for now, 

Paul

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Muchmirth said:

So if interested then please don’t forget to vote.

I voted for three GB: the Karman line for sure. Entropy and Desert almost certainly 😉

• Like 1

• 11 months later...
15 hours ago, 2lefthands said:

Did you finish it by now?

Thanks.

Unfortunately, I haven't done anything here since then. This is one of several of my very advanced projects that tired me so much that they were put on the shelf "for later". The problem is that "later" still means "never". This ship is almost complete, so I don't lose hope that one day I will find some energy and finish it.

• Like 1

@2lefthands this is really big. I guess it would be harder to send it than energy as @Pete in Lincs proposes 😉

As far as I remember, the construction was completed. I'm stuck at the painting stage. This is the part I don't really know how to do and I don't like it very much. I usually make a lot of mistakes at the painting stage and this takes away my willingness to work. 

• Sad 1