1/35 Ian McQue's Remora flying boat [scratch build]

This project has grown so much that it is now actually several models that I am doing at the same time. Better or worse.

Worse: 

I tried to paint graffiti like Pete suggested. Failed to. Next time. So there will be no graffiti. 🤨 I painted over it, leaving only the number which looks cool.

spacer.png

Better:

In the meantime, I painted the crane. It only requires a bit of metallizer and decals. I discovered a Polish manufacturer who makes decals for vehicles from the Soviet era in Poland. I found, among other things, the markings of cranes, from the state-owned company Bumar. It looks cool and vintage (at least for me, because I remember it from my youth). The package will come next week, and after the markings are applied I will finish the ropes.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

[Off-topic alert] 😉

On 01/09/2022 at 12:02, The Spadgent said:

Your little diorama looks great btw.

Thanks. 

But diorama is probably too strong a word, because in my opinion it is just a bit bigger "chair" for the characters. By the way, I don't know why I didn't finish this project anymore, because when I look at it it looks pretty good. This is the guy that was supposed to sit in that chair. I made it out of milliput and greenstuff. The plague is strong in this one.

spacer.png

spacer.png

Thanks for watching

W.

• Like 13

Thanks gentlemen!

52 minutes ago, 2lefthands said:

you should have painted more graffitis over the one you already made!

like in real live

That would only be duplicating the error: few bad looking graffiti instead of one.

Freehand is not my forte and I just have to accept it, although it's frustrating because I draw pretty well.

That's why I created another template. The letters CPN are an abbreviation of the name of a petrochemical concern from the times of the Polish People's Republic (the only seller of gasoline, because that was the reality).

All gas stations had this logo (great, simple and recognizable IMO).

spacer.png

Mine already has it too

spacer.png

24 minutes ago, Uncle Monty said:

Is that 'monster' your design? It's a nice piece of work.

Yes. Like almost all of my works, it is full improvisation. An open chest is half a walnut shell and the belly is a completely dry mandarin. Later I just plastered it with milliput 😉

spacer.png

• Like 6

• 2 weeks later...

I looked at the base and found there was something wrong with the composition. The background is dominated by a high dock and the foreground is empty. The decals that arrived a few days ago inspired me how to change that.

spacer.png

On the top left there are crane markings, on the right the inscription 'benzyna' (and the logo you already know) which in Polish means 'gasoline'. So i decided to make a model for this mark (yes i know people usually work in reverse order 🙂).

I used the bottle of airbrush cleaner as a shape maker.

spacer.png

I shaped the styrene sheet with the help of a cable ties. For the edge to fit properly, I stiffened it with a copper rod. Without this, the edges would not be touching in places between the cable ties.

spacer.png

Then I made an imitation of a concrete foundation from cardboard.

spacer.png

Details (HIPS and collectibles).

spacer.png

spacer.png

Tank with clamps.

spacer.png

On the opposite side of the tank is a pipe with valves. It's a piece of a tank's drive wheel, with teeth cut off. And part of sprue with some wheel as a valve.

spacer.png

I put the cardboard base to the ground with a milliput. inside you can see attempts to paint with GW structural paint (this part will be covered by the tank). Because at the same time I was finishing painting the concrete ground surface.

spacer.png

spacer.png

This stage of work is already behind me. This is what the details look like:

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Tank after painting.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

The next step will be to finish the crane.

Thanks for watching.

W.

• Like 11

2 hours ago, Konrad Popławski said:

Can You share us more tips about damaged concrete?

Its made of styrene plates? gypsum?

I really like the way it turned out.

I use something which in English is probably called plaster of paris (gips modelarski albo gips odlewniczy in Polish), that is a type of plaster used to sculpting, and casting. I buy it at artist supply stores.

For carving I use knives with a small blade, for making texture: a metal bristle brush.

In my 'concrete' work HIPS is used for making molds only (if the shape is to be more complicated).

spacer.png

spacer.png

The choose of the right plaster/gypsum is the key IMO.

In my experience, cheap building plaster (wall finishing) is not suitable for this purpose, because it dries and hardens unevenly: the top layer quickly becomes hard and resistant to sculpting/carving. On the contrary, the casting plaster (plaster of paris) dries slowly and evenly, regardless of the thickness of the layers.

Besides, plaster of paris reproduces the details of the mold much better (the quality is amazing). This is an example: unwanted imprint of a piece of tamiya tape.

spacer.png

For comparison: a cast of ordinary plaster (the mold was the lid of a disposable soup container).

spacer.png

Any scratches made with a knife also have a better "resolution" with casting plaster than with ordinary/building plaster. 

I take the cast out of mold after an hour or two, and start carving, but thick layer of casting plaster takes up to several days to dry completely and harden. Which is an advantage, because until then it is susceptible to sculpting and does not dust during work.

You can also make quite large forms of it, the only limitation is your imagination.

That's a mini diorama for the WH40K chaos vehicle. I just poured plaster onto a pieces of styrene foam to pre-shape it and then carved the details with a knife. 

spacer.png

Fangs and tentacles that's milliput.

spacer.png

Cheers.

W.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 2

I've just caught up and I keep seeing fabulous work here. Lots of variety and all of it top notch!

Love the Walnut and mandarin monster!  :laugh:

The plaster of Paris work is simply excellent. I've used some in the past. I need to use some again as I'd forgotten how good it can be.

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Longer and longer breaks, because I'm tired of this project, and it's getting harder and harder for me to get back to work.

Besides, the mushroom season in Poland is still going on 😄

spacer.png

I managed to finish the crane. I improved the look of the rope that moves the arm. I connected it with this (I have no idea what it is and where I got it from). I also made a hook.

spacer.png

It took a bit of extra work as the hook is too light and doesn't tighten the rope. The slack rope looked bad so I had to add some weight.

I made a chest for this. I used the same technique as when making a wooden deck. It is a piece of polystyrene with grooved edges of the boards and scratches that imitate the texture of the wood.

spacer.png

First, the chest was supposed to hang on polystyrene ribbons but it was difficult to shape them properly.

spacer.png

So I cut it off and made loops through which I put a thin sewing thread. In general chests are made of pine, so the boards are light. That's why I used Vallejo desert tan primer as the base color. Then I drybrushed it with Vallejo flat flesh and finished with brown Tamiya panel liner.

spacer.png

spacer.png

The protruding parts of the models are prone to breaking off so I decided to mount a crane with magnets.

spacer.png

This is how the crane looks finished. From a technical point of view, it is a construction that makes no sense but it looks good 🤣

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Decal with a warning in Polish (typical for cranes that it is forbidden to stay within the crane's reach).

spacer.png

I hope you like it as much as I do.

W.

• Like 13

15 hours ago, Kallisti said:

I love this build!!! I've spent the last 2 days going though it, utterly wonderful, please keep it up!

I noticed a two-day flood of notifications from BM 😄

Welcome aboard this bizarre boat and thanks for the appreciation.

W.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Pete in Lincs said:

Keep it coming on.

I try to. 

Although a lot of things distract me. For example the postman who always calls twice, as you know 😉.

I bought some paints and accessories via Facebook - masking tapes, blades, washes, pigments, cleaners etc (that's the little box on the right). It turned out that the seller was reducing the collection, so the prices were very attractive. When I buy from active modeller I always ask for scrap models and spares in such cases. This time I got a gigantic set for the equivalent of £ 9. 

spacer.png

These include five scrap models (1:35 Landwasserschlepper, Jagdtiger and Stug, if I recognize it correctly). But the icing on the cake is the unused kit parts. I estimate that there are several thousand pieces of armor, suspensions, and weapon parts that can be seen at the top. It's like Christmas in october.

spacer.png

• Like 6