1/35 Ian McQue's Remora flying boat [scratch build]

On 09/02/2022 at 14:01, The Chief Smeg said:

These are Weld symbols, never knew they would be chalked onto stuff to indicate repairs - I work on big things for my day job, but this kind of marked repair is for REALLY big things 

It would matter if I were to create a model of a real object. But the boat I try to build can fly, so it seems to me that the wrong markings will make no difference to the realism of the whole ship 😉 And it will be easier for me to draw them than to imitate a weld.

• Like 2

Hull painting is in progress. Port side is almost finished. This is what it looks like now.

spacer.png

I used some old decals on this. Seems like some Soviet vehicle or plane markings.

spacer.png

When I added this photo, I noticed that I did not paint the hose spacer.png

spacer.png

Unfortunately, the longer painting takes, the more damage I do... In the photo below you can see a broken off piece of the reflector holder. If you look closely, you will also notice the lack of a ladder on the frame above the side. I will fix it after painting, otherwise I will damage it again by manipulating the hull. I am also trying to create some base / stand for the model. This will solve the problem of breaking protruding elements. Besides, I need to attach the long rudders to the underside of the hull.

spacer.png

I also decided to partially repaint the crane. The imitation of rust and scratching was too different from the rest of the ship.

spacer.png

I used leftovers from some Tamiya's decal.

spacer.png

Thanks for watching,

Wieslaw.

• Like 18

Fabulous progress. I like the contrast between the blue and yellow.

The overspray on the pipe looks like it belongs there. The crane looks good.

And I like the markings that you've added.

In other words, Wow!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

This really really not my department but is so fantastic. What tweaked my interest was what you did with modifying those figures from tankers. What you have created is marvellously creative and inventive. That crane is insane and the painting/weathering looks great too. Fair play to you to scratch this build, takes a lot of skill to be able to do this. 

• Thanks 1

Thanks for the kind words. Your feedback keeps me motivated to work, even though things often don't go according to plan. But I'm a master of masking my mistakes so I think the final result will be good 😉

Meanwhile, I entered the phase of assembling the whole ship.

I started with mounting the engine.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

This is a good example of the mistakes I mentioned above (pic below).  Next to the blue rectangle on the motor you can see a smaller, light yellow one. It's a decal with a number and letters that I had to cover because I glued it upside down...

spacer.png

And this is what the place of attachment looks like. After fitting, it turned out that most of the details will be covered by the engine.

spacer.png

I also installed the "wooden" part of the deck.

spacer.png

spacer.png

I also paint details that will be attached to the deck and sides.

spacer.png

Thanks for watching!

W.

• Like 10

55 minutes ago, voozet said:

This is a good example of the mistakes I mentioned above (pic below).  Next to the blue rectangle on the motor you can see a smaller, light yellow one. It's a decal with a number and letters that I had to cover because I glued it upside down...

No, its just the history of re-purposed space junk from the scrapyard just off the Tannhäuser Gate!😆

Its all fantastic!

Can't wait to see the finished model.

M.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Thanks a lot!

On 26/02/2022 at 14:31, Malc2 said:

the history of re-purposed space junk from the scrapyard just off the Tannhäuser Gate!

I like this explanation very much. Especially since it justifies the appearance of the ship as it is and there is no need to fix anything else 😉

--------------------

I continue to put the parts together, improving and unifying the painting at the same time

It's time for a room below the deck. First, I painted the bulkhead with the door. I did it not very neatly, because this element will be almost invisible.

spacer.png

This is what it looks like after assembly, but without the hatch that will cover a large part of the opening.

spacer.png

As you may remember: I wanted to build a generator station in this room. But after putting it in place, I started to doubt if it was a good idea. The generator itself is not bad but in my opinion it is made worse than the rest of the ship, has less detail and lowers the overall level.

spacer.png

An alternative may be a storage room in this place. So I started doing stuff for that. I chose the classic method of making boxes covered with a tarpaulin. The shape of the boxes is imitated by cubes cut from styrofoam.

spacer.png

I covered it with a tissue soaked in heavily diluted wood glue. With the brush, I shaped folds and creases.

spacer.png

Painted with vallejo russian uniform green and then drybrushed (the same paint with a bit of off white).

spacer.png

spacer.png

In the photo below, the tarpaulin shines a bit because I have secured it with gloss varnish, but at the end I will cover the whole model with a bit of enamel dust, so it will change.

spacer.png

And when I finished this work, I came to the conclusion that I still don't know which option is better: generator or storage. 😝 Will you help solve this dilemma?

I also attached some details.

spacer.png

And I painted the frame with the radio boxes above the deck.

spacer.png

spacer.png

The whole view, with the crane finally attached, but still no rudders and few other parts.

spacer.png

spacer.png

Thanks for watching and commenting!

W.

• Like 18

On 3/2/2022 at 2:43 PM, voozet said:

And when I finished this work, I came to the conclusion that I still don't know which option is better: generator or storage. 😝 Will you help solve this dilemma?

As you asked I think I'm leaning towards the storage, even if it were a later addition to the boat the generator might look out-of-place if it's blocking an access hatch, however the space does provide a convenient area for the crew to store spare parts or consumables.  As the boat is already carrying a number of barrels on the deck, could you perhaps replace the two yellow drums with some of the crews' kit bags or even some of the crates of fruit, vegetables or bottles which some manufacturers now seem to be producing to help create a human element to the scene?

Your final picture shows what a masterpiece you have created.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for kind words. The work has slowed down a lot but it's not a good time to model making (or any hobbies) if you live in my part of Europe. It's hard to think of anything else, living 100 kilometers from Russian military bases. Anyway - thanks!

On 08/03/2022 at 11:55, Hunter Rose said:

my vote goes to the generator in the hold

The case is still pending. I will make a decision when I finish the second variant and I can compare them :)

On 03/03/2022 at 00:15, Richard E said:

however the space does provide a convenient area for the crew to store spare parts or consumables.  As the boat is already carrying a number of barrels on the deck, could you perhaps replace the two yellow drums with some of the crews' kit bags or even some of the crates of fruit, vegetables or bottles which some manufacturers now seem to be producing to help create a human element to the scene?

It's very good idea, however, I'm not going to buy anything. This is contrary to my idea of building this model: I try to build parts myself or use spare parts from my collection.

So I made an imitation of a shelf made of wooden boards. The bag came from my supplies.

spacer.png

I used HIPS styrene, and from the same material I made a "wooden" fruit crate. Fruits (apples I think) are made of green stuff.

spacer.png

A glance at the under-deck hold with new elements. I'll put some more boxes and buckets there.

spacer.png

Stay safe in these uncertain times.

W.

• Like 14

• 3 months later...

Hello after quite a long break.

Forgive me for starting my comeback with off topic.

I had a period of reduced enthusiasm for modeling and I decided to do something else for a while. My work room was not designed for model making so I changed that 😊

As usual, I started too ambitiously, so it lasted three months.

The room has a complicated shape, so only custom-made furniture is suitable. It is expensive, that's why I chose the DIY option. I bought a countertop and boards, and also used the old beams from the dismantling of the external stairs (very well weathered 😉)

It can be said that it was a mix of kit modeling, scratch, kitbash and trashbash in a 1: 1 scale. I did it for the first time in my life so I think it's ok.

Before:

spacer.png

After:

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

There are shelves for paints under the cork board (without sunlight access).

spacer.png

And under the tabletop I placed movable 'cargo' cabinets (here they are slightly extended, they can be completely retracted or taken out).

spacer.png

spacer.png

Now I have a place to work again, so the next posts will be about the ship. I hope. 😉

Thanks for watching.

W.

• Like 13

I realized that I would not move forward if I did not make a solid base for the model (I have to stick some of the elements to the bottom of the hull). I have tried to do this several times, but without success. Now I have started another try.

I want the model to appear to be floating in the air while docking. Connections with the base should be small and look natural or be hidden. This assumptions makes work harder, especially since the ship is quite big and heavy.

I made a column of styrodur, and covered it with cardboard and putty. In a piece of wooden plank, I drilled holes and inserted steel rods into them. I will drill holes in the sides of the ship under the level of the deck (matching to the rods). The deck should be approximately on the level of the platform with the hut.

spacer.png

There will be a bit of a 'McQue mess' on the platform. I started with building a hut

spacer.png

spacer.png

The glass in door will be dirty (opaque), because I do not want to make the interior of the hut (the opposite shutter is closed for the same reason).

spacer.png

Next, I have to finish the putty and paint the column (and add details to it). When I am done with this, I will make 'earth and concrete' on a wooden base. In the meantime, I'll end the mess on the platform.

Thx for watching.

W.

• Like 9