1/35 Ian McQue's Remora flying boat [scratch build]

1 hour ago, shortCummins said:

that hoverbike is very nice, please post more photos in the RFI

I need to take some good photos first. It requires cleaning the desk which is not easy because I do several things at the same time. When I paint, I always make the biggest mess 🤣

Today I was able to finish the fire box.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

And the pilot's seat.

spacer.png

I also painted the main mast but it is difficult to photograph it well.

spacer.png

• Like 15

I've spent the last few days painting the wheelhouse. The base are Vallejo acrylic paints (except for the yellow one wich is Tamiya) on the chipping fluid ('hairspray technique').

Rusty streaks are mainly dry pigments (AK Interactive and my own production).

I still have to dirty the windows a bit, but I have no idea how to do it yet. I will probably use satin varnish.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

I also started painting the engine. The assumption is that the yellow part will be very rusted like the rest of the ship. And the white one will be mostly stained with oil washes, without rust and heavy chippings (let's say it has ceramic heat shields). It's about variety: the whole model in one style IMO will be a bit boring.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Thanks for looking.

W.

• Like 15

Superbly done, I particularly like the rust staining.  I do feel however that the number (6447) looks a little too new and needs a a bit of wear and tear.   Hopefully you'll understand I'm just trying to be helpful 🙂 👍 and nor criticising you work as I am in total awe of your skill.  Andy

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, Toftdale said:

Hopefully you'll understand I'm just trying to be helpful 🙂 👍 and nor criticising you work as I am in total awe of your skill.

This is what this forum is for 🙂 Thanks for advise.

I have the feeling that the wheelhouse does not look good at all. Something get wrong but I don't know what.

I think I will add partly an acrylic rusty wash

58 minutes ago, Toftdale said:

I do feel however that the number (6447) looks a little too new and needs a a bit of wear and tear.

10 minutes ago, voozet said:

I have the feeling that the wheelhouse does not look good at all. Something get wrong but I don't know what.

I think I will add partly an acrylic rusty wash

To offer an alternative idea: could you touch up the section of the wheelhouse behind the "6447" with fresh paint to create the impresion that the boat has recently been given a new serial/registration/fleet number ?

• Like 2

@Richard E I will experiment a little and see how it will looks. When I find a moment (and it will be difficult in November).

But my primary problem with this model is that it is taking too long to build. I have such a personality that it is difficult for me to concentrate on one thing for a long time. After five or six months I am already a bit bored with this ship. In addition, despite many attempts, the hull is still weak and I cannot take the next steps.

More and more often I find myself looking for inspiration for something new. Worse still: I just found in net a great steampunk hovercar drawing 🙂

Edited by voozet
  • Like 2

I love the wheelhouse. There's something very Anime about it. Imagine some of the scruffy McQue characters in and around it.

How about a piece of clear perspex over that number? An official edict says it must be clean!

Perhaps grafitti or stickers on other surfaces? A patch or two?

The engines look good too. There's nothing like rusty yellow objects on these builds.

Would you consider coming back to this build in the near future? It's much too good to abandon.

• Like 1

@Pete in Lincs I haven't given up yet, I'm still struggling. But I until December I will have little time for modeling.

17 minutes ago, Pete in Lincs said:

Imagine some of the scruffy McQue characters in and around it.

I did. I even started making this imagination a reality. I'm trying to turn a Tamiya's tank crew member into some sort of fisherman  (inspired by McQue's Deckhands) 😀 For Helmut to have company.

That's the first step, I don't have time for more now. 

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 9

I tried to finish the hull plating. Not very effective. Again...

There is still a lot of unevenness and on the other hand, holes have formed in some places from repeated grinding. It is starting to look like a rhino suffering from psoriasis 🤣

spacer.png

spacer.png

SoI gave it up for now and started doing other things again 🙂

I made, among other things, plates (rudders?) on the side of the fuselage.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

I also finished assembling the barrels. There is more in the set but I will use only 10 because it is a terribly boring job.

spacer.png

Especially that the quality of the MiniArt's set is worse than the Tamiya's I have dealt with before.

spacer.png

My friend gave me some parts for Soviet tanks. The castings are not of the best quality, but they look good so I'll use a few things. Especially, that imperfections can be easily corrected. The spare tank had poorly moulded mounting bands...

spacer.png

... and the shackle had a bad pin.

spacer.png

And this is another device of unknown purpose. A piece of plane's cockpit and a photo-etched part for some Spitfire.

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 14

I think if you put some patches over the holes you will fix the problem & no one will say it's wrong.

I use the heads of dress making pins for rivets. Slap on some weird paint & they should look great.

Nice greeblies. Tank bits can be so usefull.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, voozet said:

@Pete in Lincs that's one of the ways I'm considering. The second is to use a lot of putty for car bumpers.
Patches and rivets on the hull are not a problem, I have mastered this technique making that monster 🤣

spacer.png

Bloody hell that is a monster!! :coolio:

Really like all the new details

• Haha 2