1/35 Ian McQue's Remora flying boat [scratch build]

Hi folks.
This is my first post here, so first - small introduction. I am SF and fantasy modeller (mainly scratch build and kitbash). I am also a middle aged man without language skills, so sorry for my English ;)

And that's what I'm doing now.

Ian McQue's Remora in 1/35 scale, scratch build from HIPS styrene, with using parts of military and aviation models.

Yes, I know - lots of people do it. And yes, I know - you can buy a Remora's kit from Industria Mechanica. But I will build my own :)

This is how it should be:

spacer.png

--------------------------------------------------------

And that's my way to it.

First steps with the hull (3mm styrene sheets, and Tamiya's L-shaped styrene profile).

spacer.png

Strips of thinner styrene (1,5 mm) as frame plating.

spacer.png

spacer.png

y4mtcfBUpcpDSr46J2qiOCS-dGTeeI4J_ZPrRBI7

spacer.png

Rear section arches formed on the wine cork

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

First attemps to wheelhouse

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Control panel (some junk and parts from aviation models).

spacer.png

And the pilot's seat:

spacer.png

spacer.png

Let me introduce Helmut. A guy who worked with me on several projects as a 1/35 scale comparer.

spacer.png

I've started that project on April. At first it was going very slowly, now I am much further. But I would not like this post to be too big, so I will post the remaining photos in the following days.

Edited by voozet
  • Like 22
  • Thanks 3

12 hours ago, voozet said:

This is my first post here, so first - small introduction. I am SF and fantasy modeller (mainly scratch build and kitbash). I am also a middle aged man without language skills, so sorry for my English ;)

Hello voozet …:post1: from the city of Chicago. Language seems to be good as I can understand what you've said. 

Dennis

Edited by Corsairfoxfouruncle

Thanks!

A few more photos from previous works. At this stage, the ship was about a month ago.

Crane is made from styrene sheets and soviet tank's wheels. T-34, I think. I have a lot of modeling scrap that I bought on the Facebook trading groups for modellers.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Screws made of 3.2 mm hexagonal rod

spacer.png

Wheels/rolls made from scratch from HIPS.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Wheelhouse door.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

The glass in the doors and windows is made of transparent styrene (a piece of cheese packaging).

spacer.png

spacer.png

Edited by voozet
  • Like 19
  • Thanks 1

I've seen some fabulous models come out of Poland in the past, and this is another one.

I love the McQue stuff, and I enjoy scratchbuilding more than buying, so I'll watch this build with interest.

Corks eh? Why didn't I think of using them before now? 

Great work.

21 hours ago, Pete in Lincs said:

I've seen some fabulous models come out of Poland in the past, and this is another one.

I suggest waiting with the rating until the end of the work :) I'm a pretty good builder but not a good painter. In my work painting usually spoils the final effect a bit

18 hours ago, Hunter Rose said:

Some excellent scratching! Love the crane, will definitely be following along :D

The crane looks like this now. Painted with a primer and brown paint as a base for chippings.

spacer.png

I make ropes from an old fishing net repair string, that I found in my father-in-law's garage. Perfectly fits 1/35 scale.

spacer.png

Sanding the hull now takes the most time. Between one puttying and the other, I make other parts of the ship.

Interior of the wheelhouse ready to paint.

spacer.png

spacer.png

I decided to keep some windows open to make the model look more interesting.

spacer.png

spacer.png

Windshield wiper made of an aviation shock absorber (I think).

spacer.png

Roof hatch

spacer.png

Main mast.

spacer.png

spacer.png

Front keel

spacer.png

I left a hole in the center of the deck where I will put the generator. It is ready. It does not have many details because will be almost invisible (through the hatch covered with a net). Base made of styrene and parts of plastic sprues, 1/35 tank's wheel and part of PC-mouse wheel.

spacer.png

Front is a plastic spoon

spacer.png

Primed...

spacer.png

... and painted.

spacer.png

spacer.png

The generator will be visible only from above, through the 3x2 cm hatch with a net

spacer.png

And this is my shipyard :)

spacer.png

Edited by voozet
Pictures adding
  • Like 19
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, roginoz said:

I'm getting no pictures, just the little blue square with its question mark...........???

My mistake. I accidentally deleted photos from my OneDrive server 😐

Mostly it is fixed. Sorry for the mess

Edited by voozet
  • Like 2

I'm seeing some very nice pictures! Great generator. Nicely weathered too. Your painting looks good to me.

In fact, part of the charm of the McQue pictures is the rough paintwork on the well used machines.

The wheelhouse interior looks good. And a nice use of the spoon on the generator.

Your workstation looks impressive, as does the library.

I'm sure that @Stickframe and @silver911 would be interested in your build. 

Meanwhile, you may be interested in this one which is very McQue.

https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235094640-reminiscing-on-time-spent-at-south-station/

• Like 2

My ego grows 😆

@Pete in Lincs there are many great threads here. The one you mentioned will surely be one of my following.

@Tzulscha In painting (as in everything else) regular, frequent training is key. And unfortunately it usually takes so long to build my models that I have to re-learn it every time.

------------------

A few more things I've managed to do so far.

I have no idea what the device is, but Ian McQue put it on the roof of the wheelhouse.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

It took me a long time to choose the engine concept. It is not visible in the McQue's painting. On the other hand, I don't like the engine of the Industria Mechanika Remora model.

Two or three attempts to make fighter-inspired turbines failed.

Then I saw an item in the supermarket that seemed perfect to me. Domestos Power 5 toilet cube :)

I took out the fragrance beads and in their place I puted T-34 wheels. Then I added some styrene and and greebles.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

What do you think about this concept? 

• Like 14
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, voozet said:

What do you think about this concept? 

In a word Genius.   I only really make automotive models myself,  however I often peruse this section as I really enjoy watching how the Sci-fi crowd make something from nothing and this is really up there with the best examples I've seen.   Not entirely sure how I have missed this thread until today, but I'll be watching from now on - Andy

• Like 1

This is amazing stuff. You have a very talented eye for the details, I'll be watching with a lot of interest to see how this goes.

BTW i have a "Domestos Power 5 toilet cube" in the upstairs loo. When the wife's not watching I might pinch it.

• Like 1

I was painting a little today. Or to be precise: I applied the effects to the central rudder previously painted with brown paint.

spacer.png

spacer.png

This is the set I used. On the right, in the containers without labels, there are pigments that I made myself from dry pastels.

spacer.png

I also started building a device that is on the stern side.

There are two of them in the McQue's painting, but I realised it too late. Unfortunately I only have one nose of the airplane. So my ship will only have one. if I decide to mount it at all. I am not sure if this element will match the style of the whole.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 11

Fabulous rust on that rudder. And I think you'll be fine with just the one Aircraft nose, I studied the painting & couldn't make out another one.

There does seem to be something else there, but I can't figure out what it is.

• Like 2

I agree with Pete - the slightly different nose is a good idea - gives this a bit more of your signature, and it's a creative and interesting modification.  Also like the rust, and the nice chunks taken out of the iron!

Cheers

Nick 

• Like 2

Front keel painted. I just can't decide what color to use for the central round part.

spacer.png

The mysterious box on the roof of the wheelhouse is also painted. I used some tank decals to make it look better.

spacer.png

spacer.png

In the meantime, I realized that have made a mistake painting the rudder. The lettering "keep out" is good on the door to the room but on the exterior element is pointless.

I guess. As I mentioned: my English is bad 😉

Anyway: I painted it over.

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1