Take 2 - Trumpeter 1/350 HMS Hood

MRMRL

Hi, presenting the next in my series of builds (going back in time from most recent), here's my second go at building the Trumpeter 1/350 HMS Hood. I finished this model early in 2021 after beginning it towards the middle of 2020 and putting it away for a while when I was busy with other things (non-model related sadly). I built this kit about 10-12 years ago, soon after I got back into the hobby and sufficient to say I was less than overjoyed with the results. After I'd started getting more practice with photo-etch, rigging and the works, I decided this ship deserved a better example in my fleet than the one I'd built and so I went for a rebuild, this time with wooden deck and Flyhawk detail kit to enhance the final offering, I think the improvement was worth the extra hassle of building it a second time - now I guess I'll need to do the same for the Bismarck to go with it ;).

spacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.png

And here she is sitting alongside the older version, which had taken a bit of abuse in a house move by this point as well.spacer.png

• Like 29
  • Thanks 2

Thanks everyone for the comments, sorry I haven't any more images at the moment, time is difficult to find right now.

On 10/1/2021 at 5:59 PM, S-boat 55 said:

Very nice example that, well done, I've got her and the flyhawk and eduard set in the stash, how did you find the photo etch? Are they flyhawks turrets as well?

I didn't get the flyhawk turrets, the set just had the blastbags and etch details. It wasn't too bad to work with, better instructions than some of flyhawks offerings, but could have been clearer in places.

• Thanks 1

A handsome old battle cruiser and very nicely modeled. Not a ship guy, by any means, but I know great modeling when I see it, and I definitely see it. A shame she never got the upgrades they intended for her, but as with the USS Arizona, a single lucky hit can be catastrophic. Well done, sir!

Mike

Always nice to see the 'Mighty Hood' in any scale, you have have done a fine job.

After having this kit for several years I cut my first steel  plastic on her last week but she will be a slow burn build as my great uncle went down on her so I want to do him and her justice. Being my first ship build I see rough seas ahead..🤪

On 10/23/2021 at 7:54 AM, Head in the clouds. said:

Always nice to see the 'Mighty Hood' in any scale, you have have done a fine job.

After having this kit for several years I cut my first steel  plastic on her last week but she will be a slow burn build as my great uncle went down on her so I want to do him and her justice. Being my first ship build I see rough seas ahead..🤪

Thank you and good luck with your build, even more so with the family connection. For a first ship build I'd just day take your time, don't be afraid to step away into something else for a bit to recharge the motivation, especially for one as large as Hood 🙂

Thanks also to Nick & Graham

• Like 1