Drawdecal - sales to the UK

Skodadriver

I wasn't sure where was the best place to post this and I opted for modern civil aircraft because that is what Drawdecal mainly cover. If the moderators think it would be better elsewhere, please move it.

When the rules about collection of VAT changed in January Drawdecal was one of a number of suppliers who refused to sell to UK customers unless the customer placed a huge order over the £135 threshold. The issue was discussed in several threads notably this one in the Rumourmonger.

Greg has reconsidered his position and he will now accept small UK orders provided the customer agrees to meet any VAT liability and/or other charges and accepts the risk (however small) that the package could be seized and destroyed by HMRC. He has updated the Drawdecal website to reflect this.

For what it's worth I recently ordered three sheets at a total cost of $47 (£35.76) including shipping and they arrived without any problem.

I'm not meaning to re-start a discussion which was rather done to death around the turn of the year, I'm simply passing on a bit of information which I hope will be of assistance to fellow airliner modellers in the UK.

Dave G

• Like 14
  • Thanks 5

Hi Dave

Thanks very much for this info - I'm pleased Greg has found the flexibility to offer this service. Met him once at Telford - seemed a nice / helpful chap.

Russ at Airline Hobby Store has similarly set-up an e-bay outlet to help overcome the UK VAT issue too.

I think we'll all appreciate the efforts our friends in the USA are making to keep us supplied with products only available over there.

Cheers

Tim

• Like 2

• 4 months later...

Good evening, looking at buying two sets of 757 decals from draw decal  totalling $38, just wondering do I need to go for the basic post at $16.50 or the UPS at $45 and can I expect a large charge for VAT and customs? 

Thanks, Chris

13 minutes ago, ChrisScott said:

Good evening, looking at buying two sets of 757 decals from draw decal  totalling $38, just wondering do I need to go for the basic post at $16.50 or the UPS at $45 and can I expect a large charge for VAT and customs? 

Thanks, Chris

I can only go by my own experience.

Following the success of my first order I placed a second one a few weeks ago. In both cases I paid for the basic post, the decals arrived fine and I wasn't stung for any further charges. As I said earlier, Greg's terms of business make it clear that the risk is with the buyer and I'm prepared to accept it. I'm lucky to have a reasonably generous modelling budget but there is no way I'd pay $45 postage on decals costing $38.

If you are still concerned, Russell Brown at Airline Hobby Supplies has set up some kind of workaround using eBay. I haven't investigated it.

Dave G 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Skodadriver said:

I can only go by my own experience.

Following the success of my first order I placed a second one a few weeks ago. In both cases I paid for the basic post, the decals arrived fine and I wasn't stung for any further charges. As I said earlier, Greg's terms of business make it clear that the risk is with the buyer and I'm prepared to accept it. I'm lucky to have a reasonably generous modelling budget but there is no way I'd pay $45 postage on decals costing $38.

If you are still concerned, Russell Brown at Airline Hobby Supplies has set up some kind of workaround using eBay. I haven't investigated it.

Dave G 

Thank you for the fast response, yeah the $45 is a bit too steep for me. I may just risk it and see what happens.

Chris

I've been watching this vat thing on a few forms.

Seems to me like Government greed and overspending is rampant like here in Canada as well.

There are ways to avoid this overtaxation. Maybe 🤔 modellers need get a friend in certain countries to mail them all the model goodies marked as a gift.

Im sure many have figured it out already. Good on Greg for making it work for his customers.

45 minutes ago, Corky said:

I've been watching this vat thing on a few forms.

Seems to me like Government greed and overspending is rampant like here in Canada as well.

There are ways to avoid this overtaxation. Maybe 🤔 modellers need get a friend in certain countries to mail them all the model goodies marked as a gift.

Im sure many have figured it out already. Good on Greg for making it work for his customers.

Cheers

Andy

CYYZ

I bet you are one those that complains when there are not enough nurses, police, refuse collectors and many other essential public services available

Isn't it an offence, to recommend or promote tax avoidance?  :hmmm: 

Quoted from Russell Brown's website:  "I am often asked to declare a lower product value, or that the package is a gift. To do so means I will be breaking U.S. law, with the potential for severe penalties at my end."

• Like 7

22 hours ago, Skodadriver said:

Greg's terms of business make it clear that the risk is with the buyer

Whatever his stated terms of business are the law requires his buiness to register for UK VAT if supplying goods below the £135 threshold into the UK. It's his business thst would be prosecuted not the buyer with exactly the same "potential for severe penalties at my end."

• Like 1

Thanks for your comments.

No actually I'm quite a supporter of Gov services. Just don't like the wasteful actions of most Governments. I am a customer of Russell's  I would never ask them to alter the bill. 

I am not sure if it is an offence to promote or suggest tax avoidance. Tax evasion is illegal of course.

I have had many orders from AHS and Hannants for just about 20 years now and never taxed once. I suspect our gov doesn't chase taxes on models.

Edited by Corky
  • Like 3

8 minutes ago, Circloy said:

Whatever his stated terms of business are the law requires his buiness to register for UK VAT if supplying goods below the £135 threshold into the UK. It's his business thst would be prosecuted not the buyer with exactly the same "potential for severe penalties at my end."

The laws of the United Kingdom may or may not require Greg to register with HMRC. The laws of the United States do not. As long as he pays whatever taxes are due in the USA there isn't the remotest chance of him being penalised in the USA for sending a few sets of decals to the UK. There is even less chance of HMRC trying to extradite him to the UK to face charges here. I write as somebody who spent a professional lifetime in the law including 32 years as a prosecutor.

Dave G

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Corky said:

I am not sure if it is an offence to promote or suggest tax avoidance. Tax evasion is illegal of course.

I think describing an item sold to a customer as a gift is tax evasion, not avoidance. Avoidance in this case would be travelling to the USA to buy the decals and import them within your personal allowance.

• Thanks 2