Decisions, decisions....holiday build.

Jasper dog

Day.....whichever!

Upper and lower hull including adjusted front fender done, prior to paint. One fender cut down the other will be missing completely. 

Brackets for fuel tanks fitted but tanks will possibly be a different tone of 4bo so will get painted separately. 

Turret has been started on, periscopes a very tight fit even after trimming, not entirely happy but fitted. Short of finding new ones not much I can do with those now.

85mm Barrel a little loose in its socket in the mount behind the mantlet, how odd in comparison. Will probably leave off till home as I'd like to drill out the muzzle a little deeper.

spacer.png

spacer.png

Commanders hatch open or closed, if open will need a little chap to pop inside...:hmmm:

Can't assemble the wheels yet till painted as the tyres come separately, great! Makes masking and painting easier 🤞 providing they fit as they should...

Cheers

Darryl 

• Like 11

3 hours ago, Bullbasket said:

No, sorry Darryl, I can't see it. It's so well camouflaged that it's blended in with the work mat.

I agree with John - yes, it’s invisible, but it still looks great!
Your tank is without a doubt great, and I really like the speed of the work - I should envy it. But forgive me, the first thing that strikes me is not the tank, but your new work mat. What a great color!

But because different manufacturers use different colors of plastic, you will need a number of different mats. If you don’t buy other mats, you’ll only have to make models out of yellow plastic! :D

Vytautas

• Haha 1

21 minutes ago, vytautas said:

I agree with John - yes, it’s invisible, but it still looks great!
Your tank is without a doubt great, and I really like the speed of the work - I should envy it. But forgive me, the first thing that strikes me is not the tank, but your new work mat. What a great color!

But because different manufacturers use different colors of plastic, you will need a number of different mats. If you don’t buy other mats, you’ll only have to make models out of yellow plastic! :D

Vytautas

9 minutes ago, StuartH said:

Looking really good so far.

Did the mat come with the kit? :giggle:

3 hours ago, Bullbasket said:

No, sorry Darryl, I can't see it. It's so well camouflaged that it's blended in with the work mat. No doubt, it looks good anyway.

John.

Thanks chaps, glad you all like the mini mat, didn't come with this kit but I might have pinched it from another....

spacer.pngJust a handy size as a travel mat!

But the colour...:huh:

Personally Vytautas I think contrasting colour mats look slightly more stylish but hey, that's just me! :cool:

I think I've done more scrabbling around looking for dropped parts than building recently!

Brings me to my next topic....modelling atrophy!

Having done very little construction recently my very basic skills appear to have deserted me. Simple things like cleaning mould lines, attaching parts neatly, tweezer skills all gone! :shrug:

Perhaps something to do with the idea I've had for this build....speed!

Fed up with builds taking 3-4 mths I've set myself the goal of basic assembly in a week, no fuss, no frills, no after market (except possibly tracks), let's see how it works out. 🤞

Another nice find with the kit is the unmentioned inclusion of the later pattern wheels (x4) might be nice to mix them up as can be seen in some period photos.

Time for another beverage, bottoms up! :beer:

Darryl 

• Like 6

17 minutes ago, Jasper dog said:

Time for another beverage, bottoms up!

Perhaps this why the skills have disappeared?

Seriously this is coming together very quickly but the standard is still right up there at the top of the pile!

Stay safe        Roger

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, Hamden said:

Perhaps this why the skills have disappeared?

:cheers:

If I usually modelled of an eve I could agree,  however not quite being at the point of breaking out the breakfast whisky and pouring continental larger over ones Weatie-bangs....could be too much caffeine?

Thanks Roger, very good of you, as ever! ;)

• Like 1

Day after yesterday...

Basic assembly complete, etch handles added to fuel tanks, turret assembled. Typical given a choice with no direction I'll pick the wrong one... We are given a choice of commanders cupola, flat sided or one with a chamfered rim. Muggins picked the chamfered option, since looking in the T34 book I have with me it would appear the straight sided is the more common. Ho-hum...:shrug:

Started on the tracks, typical Fruil, go together as expected.

spacer.png

To reduce the chance of flying parts...

spacer.png

Tiny part buried in blue tak prior to clean up.

Cheers

Darryl 

• Like 7

On 10/1/2021 at 10:10 PM, Jasper dog said:

I've set myself the goal of basic assembly in a week,

Everything looks great!

But not forget - construction time is near to end, the week is almost over, don't torment us, start painting! :D

Vytautas

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Lookin good darryl...which is more than i can say for that blade...getting your money's worth outa that ain't cha....:P So what's the game plan for the big T then .....middle east or dubya dubya tooooo Rooskie....enquiring minds need to know...mainly cause i can't be bothered to go back to the beginning of the thread to read:D

• Haha 2

6 hours ago, edjbartos said:

Nice clean build Darryl, looks great, looking forward to seeing some paint on this...

Ed

3 hours ago, vytautas said:

Everything looks great!

But not forget - construction time is near to end, the week is almost over, don't torment us, start painting! :D

Vytautas

Thanks fellas, I did mention paint will have to wait until I get home....unless!:idea:

Sure I spotted a hardware store nearby, bound to sell green gloss and a hairy stick....

I shall get the tracks done and then start another! 🤞

Atb chaps

Darryl 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, M3talpig said:

Lookin good darryl...which is more than i can say for that blade...getting your money's worth outa that ain't cha....:P So what's the game plan for the big T then .....middle east or dubya dubya tooooo Rooskie....enquiring minds need to know...mainly cause i can't be bothered to go back to the beginning of the thread to read:D

So kind!

Yeah thrift is one thing but true the blade has done its job. Consider it discarded and given the Viking-esk funeral it deserves!

It'll be Seelow, battle of Berlin type thing, obviously it has decal options but they only give the army units they belong to as opposed to anything more specific. Probably end up being fairly generic.

You're missing a treat not studying all two pages, inc some delightful holiday snaps, shame!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Jasper dog said:

You're missing a treat not studying all two pages, inc some delightful holiday snaps, shame!

I feel bad now :crying: ...i will read the thread from start to almost finished.... lots of scope for some serious weathering on the big T though the old rooskies did give then a good hiding....that's when the germans weren't of course. :P

• Haha 1

And another day....

Fruils, done, bowed to pressure! 

Pretty quick, once you get into the rhythm....:whistle:

spacer.png

Not sure how many links will be required exactly but looks approximately right...

Cheers 

Darryl 

• Like 7

Pin pulled......handle released.......grenade gently rolled through door .............................................................................................................................................................is it done yet?   :P

• Haha 1

21 minutes ago, M3talpig said:

Pin pulled......handle released.......grenade gently rolled through door .............................................................................................................................................................is it done yet?   :P

GRENADE!!!!!

:angry:

(Listening to an account of a US night time opp to take enemy positions its was all done with nothing but knives and grenades to preserve the element of surprise).

No it most certainly isn't,  how am I going to paint it being 150+miles away from the airbrush and compressor!

The problem with the (Japanese?) YouTube vids is one has to watch and read them, unlike the English language ones I can have on in the background whilst doing some actual modelling!

That said the T34 with the bedspring armour does look good....

Might have to start build no 2 soon!

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, Bullbasket said:

Can't go wrong with Fruils. You can easily add or remove links.

John.

Exactly, dip in the burnishing fluid spot of weathering and ta-da!

• Like 1

On 03/10/2021 at 17:05, Jasper dog said:

And another day....

Fruils, done, bowed to pressure! 

Pretty quick, once you get into the rhythm....:whistle:

spacer.png

Not sure how many links will be required exactly but looks approximately right...

Cheers 

Darryl 

Hey Darryl

Everything is great up to this point 👍
I think when my T 54 is finished, your model could serve as inspiration for my Miniart T 34/85.
The full Russian madness... 🤪

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Just to keep this alive....

Primed, trying to move away from black basing, it desaturates the colour and leaves it cold. So I'll experiment with this and see what can be achieved by other routes...

I've primed the lower hull, which is still separate, in black along with the underside of the turret. The remainder primed grey, for now. Might yet go over the grey with white to see what works out...🤞

spacer.png

• Like 5