Decisions, decisions....holiday build.

Jasper dog

Once the arbiter has made his choice I can adjust the title to suit and crack on.

spacer.png

He thinking.....

spacer.pngCould it be a decision!

I've two weeks away for summer hols, funnily enough its wet and windy in Scotland. Who needs harbour front taverns and sun drenched beaches...:hmmm:

Smuggled a "small" selection of kits and tools into the car and inbetween walking his lordship and keeping the present good lady occupied...

Sorry John @Bullbasket I know I threatened an M4 but.

Hope to have progress and obviously a decision very soon.

Cheers

Darryl 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Jasper dog said:

Sorry John @Bullbasket I know I threatened an M4 but.

This sacrilege hasn't passed unnoticed, BUT........before sending the monks of doom to visit you and condemning you to build Tigers and Panthers forever more, you can redeemeth yourself by choosing the Shot Kal. If not, may the Gods of Sherman have mercy on your soul.

John.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

5 minutes ago, Bullbasket said:

This sacrilege hasn't passed unnoticed, BUT........before sending the monks of doom to visit you and condemning you to build Tigers and Panthers forever more, you can redeemeth yourself by choosing the Shot Kal. If not, may the Gods of Sherman have mercy on your soul.

John.

Yee gads I'm for it....:yikes:

• Haha 1

A decision was made ... (prior to John's intervention unfortunately)

spacer.png

This will be a pretty much oob build with the possible exception of a set of Fruils.

Plan being get this built, no paint whilst away, and then attempt to redeem oneself by cracking on with another!

First issue...two missing parts, wtf! 

This was bought new earlier this year from a well known Somerset based online model shop and I've now discovered it's missing two spring holders, thankfully only one being essential.

spacer.pngParts no6 missing from both sprue J...how odd, the bags appeared unopened until I started on it.

Anyway I've butchered/modified a spare part no 5 to do the job.

spacer.png

And in situ, can you spot the odd one out....

spacer.png

Well hopefully if the remainder goes to plan it should be a nice relaxing build! 🤞

So far today, lower hull slapped together. 

spacer.png

If building the kit watch out for the loose part J 52, (rear lower hull plate) don't jump ahead and assume RFM had miss-numbered it and called it J13.

spacer.png

Thankfully quite a change from RFMs brilliant (if high part count Panzer III), pleasantly detailed but not overly complex, dont mention the Miniart version for the masochist out there!

Anyway the sun is out so best venture out!

Atb

Darryl 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Jasper dog said:

Just like Able Seaman Johnson, The Monks are "not 'appy"!! But I managed to pacify them when I told them that you were doing a T-34-85. Brothers Ivan and Mikhail were especially happy. So am I as I think that it's a great looking tank. So press on, and then get out and meet some of "my ain folk". (And enjoy your holiday).

John.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Bullbasket said:

Just like Able Seaman Johnson, The Monks are "not 'appy"!! But I managed to pacify them when I told them that you were doing a T-34-85. Brothers Ivan and Mikhail were especially happy. So am I as I think that it's a great looking tank. So press on, and then get out and meet some of "my ain folk". (And enjoy your holiday).

John.

Guess it best be "left hand down a bit" then..

• Haha 2

18 hours ago, Jasper dog said:

spacer.png

This will be a pretty much oob build with the possible exception of a set of Fruils.

Plan being get this built, no paint whilst away, and then attempt to redeem oneself by cracking on with another!

First issue...two missing parts, wtf! 

This was bought new earlier this year from a well known Somerset based online model shop and I've now discovered it's missing two spring holders, thankfully only one being essential.

spacer.pngParts no6 missing from both sprue J...how odd, the bags appeared unopened until I started on it.

Anyway I've butchered/modified a spare part no 5 to do the job.

spacer.png

And in situ, can you spot the odd one out....

spacer.png

Well hopefully if the remainder goes to plan it should be a nice relaxing build! 🤞

So far today, lower hull slapped together. 

spacer.png

If building the kit watch out for the loose part J 52, (rear lower hull plate) don't jump ahead and assume RFM had miss-numbered it and called it J13.

spacer.png

Thankfully quite a change from RFMs brilliant (if high part count Panzer III), pleasantly detailed but not overly complex, dont mention the Miniart version for the masochist out there!

Anyway the sun is out so best venture out!

Atb

Darryl 

You simply can not mislead a dog's nose 😁

MD

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, THEscaleSHOW said:

You simply can not mislead a dog's nose 😁

MD

Exactly, he took a prolonged interest, contemplated the Shot Kal before settling upon the T34, I took that as decision made!

54 minutes ago, Pig of the Week said:

Does he get to chew up the box when you're done.. ?

Don't be daft, an empty kit box is worthless,  hardly a piece of furniture or a shoe!

And anyway I'd have to wake him up for that!

Cheers chaps!

• Like 1

Day two of modelling...

Upper hull partially done. RFM kindly gives lots of pre marked partial holes, all of which are numbered, in the hull as a guide for drilling out, very considerate. 

spacer.png

Some of the sprue gates are on the substantial side but nothing insurmountable. 

They also provide positionable flaps for the engine deck that go beneath the intake covers, nice touch. However as the interior is empty and I didn't want owt being visible inside I've cemented them shut. Likewise the inside of the drivers hatch is really nicely detailed if you wish to model it open but again as the interior is otherwise empty that got cemented shut too.

spacer.png

One of the things I rather like about these RFM kits is the relatively soft plastic. Slight gap around a piece, no problem; run a little Extra Thin around it, a slight squeeze and the plastic melts quickly and fills the gap for you. 

Not a huge amount of progress today as holiday stuff gets in the way! :shrug:

spacer.png

Druchtag Motte :viking:.

It didn't appear that steep going up but someone has kindly left a rope to assist ones decent...

spacer.png

"You've dragged me up here for....." good vantage point for spotting rabbits!

That's all folks!

Darryl 

• Like 8
  • Haha 2

Day three....

Lower hull is almost as complete as I'll take it prior to paint, no I can't join the crazies and put everything on prior to paint!

RFM has had a few issues with the miss-numbering of parts on this T34, nothing insurmountable just mildly irritating. 

spacer.png

Otherwise it all goes together really nicely, already looking forward to the paint stage.

Upper and lower hull are still separate, for now, just sat in situ.

Haven't made a decision on the front fenders yet, if I've got the required tools I'd like to chop them around a bit, make it look a little more "used", how often do you see a pristine straight T34?

RFM provide a really nice etch part for the air intakes on the engine deck, unlike some grills that look 2 dimensional this has a nice woven effect. They also provide a plastic alternative if that is your preference.

spacer.png

Just to put some of the more vulnerable parts on, horn, lamp, catches etc and then the turret. Exhaust covers will be tacked in situ prior to paint before having the exhaust pipes painted separately. 

Will need to make a decision on the tracks, Fruils or the link and length jobs provided...:hmmm:

(Having a chopping mat the colour of the plastic isn't helpful either...)

Thanks for looking

Darryl 

• Like 11

16 hours ago, Hamden said:

Nice start Darryl, hope the weather is OK for your holiday and your having a restful break

Stay safe          Roger 

Thanks Roger, as to be expected with most of our hols the weather can be....characterful!

However it's good to be away and I've a bunch of kits to crack on with if necessary...:frantic:

14 hours ago, Bodmin said:

Great choice

Thanks, its reputation as a good kit certainly appears to be well founded, hope they do one of the early 76mm ones too.

12 hours ago, Stef N. said:

Fruils Darryl, the chunkier the better.👍

Not a big fan of link and length personally I struggle to get them to sit right. RFM individual links are nice though, just their pins were a bit of a PITA.

12 hours ago, edjbartos said:

Looking nice Darryl, I agree, if I had the choice I would use metal tracks any day, they will just sit nice on the wheels and give the proper sag...

Ed

I dont mind the RFM tracks now however the others have been indi link and these....arn't!

Think the Fruils will be easier to fit and look better, what shame ....:whistle:

(Got some great looking metal tracks from a Chinese firm for the Type 69, complete with pins, haven't assembled them yet but on the face of it look great. Similar price to the Fruils and fairly prompt delivery 3-4wks).

Thanks chaps, I suspect the Fruils will be the track of choice, really need to get some more for an Su85 I've stashed somewhere though...

9 hours ago, Longbow said:

What is this, “Holiday Break” ?

🤣

Sorry for Lee, for the colonials, vacation. :P

Its the first time we've been away in two years! 

I did a holiday build WIP then too. (Dragon Firefly and Tamiya Cromwell).

Thanks chaps

More soon I hope!

Darryl 

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Bullbasket said:

Nice work so far Darryl. At this rate, you should have it ready for paint by the time the holiday is over.......or have you got your airbrush with you?

John.

Always appreciate the conditional "so far", can always find somewhere to mess up!

As for the airbrush,  reckoned that a step too far.....choices;

The good lady wife and associated paraphernalia or, airbrush, compressor,  paints etc etc....:hmmm::idea:.....:poo:.....:chair:

Very little progress today, apart from trying to find tiny tan coloured parts on a tan cutting mat over tan floor tiles....:nerdy:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

13 hours ago, Jasper dog said:

apart from trying to find tiny tan coloured parts on a tan cutting mat over tan floor tiles.

Borrow my binoculars?

• Haha 1