Tamiya P-47D 1/48 Brazilian Air Force

Hello,

This is a P-47D with Brazilian Air Force WW2 colors. The newly established Brazilian Air Force (1941) sent the 1st Fighter Group as part of an Expeditionary Force, operating under US Forces in Italy, from mid 1944 until the end of hostilities in Europe.

Since the allies had already air superiority in the area, these birds were mainly engaged in interdiction missions, initially operating from Tarquinia airfield, and moving north eventually. German anti aircraft fire was still very effective, and some pilots were KIA and a few became POW. Yet, they destroyed a lot of targets during their brief campaign.

As for the kit, no need to say anything else about Tamiya’s P-47 kits, they’re just perfect. Decals were FCM, a Brazilian brand which sometimes may pose some problems regarding silvering, so careful sanding and preparation before them is a must. Also used Eduard canopy masks and cockpit PE, and metal guns/pitot tube from Master Models.

The airfields they operated from were almost always very muddy, as my references pictures show, so I’ve decided to go kind of heavy regarding weathering and/or dirt.

Hope you enjoy!

Cheers

spacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.png

• Like 47
  • Thanks 1

This is a great model. It is in my "to do" list. I have seen a P-47D with these colours in the Brazilian Air Force Museum in Santa Cruz, which is a short drive from Rio. 

Can you share more about the preparation you did for these decals, to avoid the problems you mention?

8 hours ago, Marcello Rosa said:

This is a great model. It is in my "to do" list. I have seen a P-47D with these colours in the Brazilian Air Force Museum in Santa Cruz, which is a short drive from Rio. 

Can you share more about the preparation you did for these decals, to avoid the problems you mention?

Thank you! As for decal preparation, I always have the painted surface sanded (fine grit) as much as possible; then dusted away any residues. A gloss coat after and let it really dry.

Mr Setter before apply decals and Mr Softer after they're dry. If any silvering persists, punct them with a sharp blade and put some(very little) more Mr Softer over the surface. 

And hope for the best!

57 minutes ago, GREG DESTEC said:

Magnificent Jug! 

Excellent modelling mate, very well done indeed 👍

🍺🍺 

Thank you!

47 minutes ago, Erik Leijdens said:

Fantastic Jug, the weathering is perfect and it looks so good in Brazilian colours.

Erik

Thank you!