Humber Mk II armoured car - Italy, 1944

IanC

Italy, May 1944. The Gustav Line is finally broken at Cassino. During the pursuit of retreating German forces a Humber armoured car crew from 46th Reconnaissance Regiment find the road blocked once again. The officer dismounts to check his map for an alternative route. His wireless operator looks down nervously, worried about mines and snipers...    

This is of course Matchbox's venerable Humber Mk II, now available from Revell. A big problem with the kit in its current form are the decals. These give you a vehicle from 4th Recce Regt captured by the Germans (which should actually be a Mk IV) and one from an 'unknown' armoured car regiment in 'Lybia', which seems to have been based on a photo of a UK vehicle, possibly from the Royal Canadian Dragoons! It would have been nice to have had some accurate North African markings, as in the original kit. 

In their absence, and because the base doesn't look that desert-like to me, I opted for an Italian scene and painted it Light Mud with blue-black disruptive camo. I didn't have any suitable decals so the story will have to be that this is a newish or repainted vehicle and they didn't have time to add them. 🙂

Lastly, I've always felt that the figure supplied by Matchbox was rather over-scale, so I added a couple of Milicast resin figures which I think better convey the size of the vehicle.  All in all, a fun build as ever and one which only took about a week to do.

Best wishes,

Ian   

spacer.png    

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 30
  • Thanks 2

18 hours ago, StuartH said:

I really like the camo pattern and the partially submerged tyre is a very nice touch

Thanks. The tyre is actually part of the diorama base - a nice little detail by Matchbox.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Ian. That's an absolutely superb model from the old kit. Great build and great little scene. Top notch modelling all round, as usual. :worthy:

Kind regards,

Stix 

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...