Eddie Stobart truck part work.

Whofan

Caught an ad last week for a new part work, aan Eddie Stobart truck.

100 parts, first part £1.99, the remaining 99 at £9.99 each !

The made one in the ad did look good, but a total of £991 for it?

That's a lot of money for a truck, but what do I know?  I suppose it depends on how much a full kit of the same scale and level of detail would cost, and how much you want one. :shrug:

I've often wondered how many of these part work kits get completed. I suspect the high price is due to the fact that the print run of the final issues has reduced to 3 copies!

Cheers

Colin

26 minutes ago, ckw said:

I've often wondered how many of these part work kits get completed. I suspect the high price is due to the fact that the print run of the final issues has reduced to 3 copies!

Taking the opposite view: does the publisher have any obligation to complete the entire series or is there always an inherent risk when you begin one of these projects that you will end up with just 56 of 120 promised magazines and a box of parts ? 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Whofan said:

100 parts, first part £1.99, the remaining 99 at £9.99 each !

The made one in the ad did look good, but a total of £991 for it?

A slight under estimation the web site

https://www.buildeddiestobart.com/

says 140 issues which comes out at £1,386. 

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

Well, I built the Hachette Routemaster that I shared here, and I'm going for the Stobart truck. (link here:

For me, I thoroughly enjoyed the build and I didn't think the overall cost too bad. After all, the Border Models release of the 1/32 WNW Lancaster will be in the region of £600 and that's for a plastic kit. The Routemaster built into a solid model that weighed a ton and was huge in 1/12. It was also a refreshing change of pace from my usual modelling. Two weeks after completing it, I got an offer to sell it for a price I couldn't refuse. I've had three offers since it sold. Believe me, more of these get finished than you'd think. There's dozens of Facebook build groups devoted these partworks and some folk I know built two or three of the Routemasters. The Stobart DAF is looking very impressive so far. Would there be any interest in a WIP here (a very long WIP 🤣)

Steve

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Vince1159 said:

There's an article in the latest Diecast Collector about it apparantly it was the first Stobart truck to have a female name 'Twiggy'....I'd love to see a WIP...

Ok! I'll make sure to do a regular WIP. Not every nut and bolt as that would probably bore everyone senseless. I've already made a start, so I'll rustle something up soon.

Yes! Twiggy was apparently the first truck with a female name. I didn't realise that prior to that the first few trucks had more standard names. I also quite like the fact that he named a couple of the early trucks after Debbie Harry and another after Joanna Lumley's character, Purdey from the Avengers. 

By the way, I'm no Stobart anorak (far too busy anoraking over many other things for that), but the fact that it's a great big 1/12 1970s DAF truck is what swung it for me. 

Steve

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Vince1159 said:

strewth knows what i'd do with her when she was all finished...

I'll be honest, I haven't figured out where I'm putting the DAF yet. The Routemater took up half the man cave and the DAF is over 1.2 metres long with the trailer. I guess I'll worry about that later!

• Like 1