Leyland PD2 bus - plans, diagrams?

bootneck

Can anyone provide plans or diagrams of a Leyland PD2 double-decker bus?  I would like to scratchbuild this one:

spacer.png

Did any of the civilian coach and bus chassis', such as Leyland and AEC etc.,  have any commonality with military chassis'?

Cheers,
Mike

• Like 1

Problem with buses is that you buy the chassis and then a body to fit, so you really need to know this information. 

The bus looks to my mind to have a Metro Cammel Weymann  body but at the angle of the picture it can be difficult to see.  You need to furnish the operator  so the number plate/ fleet number  can be checked against fleet lists.

For bus plans search "Terry Blois" on google in the first instance but its not certain that he will have the correct chassis/body combination available.

Selwyn

Edit just found it as a ex plymouth bus

38 minutes ago, Selwyn said:

Problem with buses is that you buy the chassis and then a body to fit, so you really need to know this information. 

The bus looks to my mind to have a Metro Cammel Weymann  body but at the angle of the picture it can be difficult to see.  You need to furnish the operator  so the number plate/ fleet number  can be checked against fleet lists.

For bus plans search "Terry Blois" on google in the first instance but its not certain that he will have the correct chassis/body combination available.

Selwyn

Edit just found it as a ex plymouth bus

Yes, it was the bus I used get when going into Plymouth and back, from our base at Bickleigh; the bus was affectionately called the Bickleigh Bomber.  The last bus left Plymouth about 10;30pm and if you missed it then it was a long 8 mile stagger walk back to the camp!

A touch of nostalgia has given me the inspiration to make a model of it.  Here's another view of it.

spacer.png

cheers,
Mike

I have just had a look at Terry Blois' website but it doesn't show any examples of the plans and their details.  Does anyone know if the plans include the underside details, including the frame, cross-members, axles and all the other salient elements of the chassis?

cheers,
Mike

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Rich,

I did a Google but didn't find anything on the chassis details.

Here is a view of a Leyland Hippo that I am drawing, and it is this type of detail that I'm looking for to do the PD2 as well.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Nice 3D work. I'm still getting to grips with it but drawing anything beyond basic shapes tends to end badly.  😑  If you want to get it a bit more accurate, with a single spring bogie like that, the centre of the spring is mounted to the chassis on a trunnion and the ends are attached to the axles, then there would be radius rods from the trunnion crossmember to the axles/diff housings.  I usually look for factory brochures for dimensions and detail photos, for example:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/362364613453

Similarly with the drive axles, that type has a diff unit that drops in from the top.   The prop shafts run into the diffs, not into the axle housings.   The above brochure has some detail of that too. Also see the photo at the bottom of this page - they're upside down in the photo, but it shows the diff units and the inter-axle prop shaft:

http://www.leylandsociety.co.uk/blog/blog0028.htm

• Thanks 1

Thanks for this info, the image of the diff units are particularly useful.  :thumbsup:  With that, and the details from @Dave Swindell, I have been able to progress quite well on the Hippo; so thank you both.

Brochures such as the one you show are beyond my budget; so I am very appreciative of all advice and images received.

cheers,
Mike

• Like 1

No, I don't buy brochures, I just browse the listings and save anything useful.   These might help (click the thumbnails to enlarge):

https://public.fotki.com/six97s/reference/trucks/leyland/

Notice the springs are anchored to the chassis only at the centre and pivot on the trunnion bearings underneath.

Edited by Six97s