Hobby Boss 1/48 F-14A

dnl42

Working on the fuselage, trying to drill holes before I close it up this time. First problem, the instructions and the plastic don't agree on the location of the TACAN/UHF antenna--the instructions are right. Here's a snip of the instructions with the location on the starboard side

f-14a-antennahole0.png

RE-EDIT: That's not the site of the TACAN/UHF antenna. Not ready to commit just yet.

Next are the glove vanes. HB provides the vanes and guides to help you carve away the plastic

f-14a-glovevanes0.jpg

Here is the dry-fit right after the cut. I see more filing in my future. I'll probably just glue it in the closed position to get better alignment at the front. Yes, I could have scribed this, but what's the fun in that?

f-14a-glovevanes4.jpg

Thanks for stopping by...

Hm, I'm thinking about changing my avatar. Whatchya think?

Filler-Time-Avatar.jpg

• Like 4

Dry fitting the intake ramps. Here's a description of their functionality. I half expected HB to provide parts to vary the ramp positions. They didn't. The ramps are fixed in position for supersonic speeds. 

f-14a-ramp0.jpg

Lowering the ramp is easy--ditch the actuators that will never be seen. Not easy, the part has a slight hinge bend that is only appropriate to the supersonic position--that will need surgery or scratch building to flatten it.

I also need to position the inlet sides, which don't appear to have much in the way of positive location. 

• Like 4

Seems this kit needs paying some attention to get the best out of it but you're on the case.

The potential new avatar looks cool but isn't so cool as your dog :wub: Perhaps make it your signature?

• Thanks 1

Good work so far ironing out the wrinkles in this kit 👍

2 minutes ago, Col. said:

The potential new avatar looks cool but isn't so cool as your dog :wub: Perhaps make it your signature?

+1 for this idea 😁

• Thanks 1

@Col. and @Alan P, I've decided to follow your wise counsel on the avatar.

I may understand those dorsal antennas. MATS shows a crop of the photo Coreman shows on page 20, Forward to aft, the antennas are: IFF/APX-72 UHF Data Link; AN/ALR-50; and TACAN, UHF communication. Coreman's text on page 27 cites the TACAN antenna forward and the IFF Data Link antenna aft. Of course, none of that matters in plastic.

The Coreman page 20 photo shows an F-14A beavertail while another Coreman photo on page 38 shows an early F-14A beavertail.  It's still not clear to me it's on my block 140 aircraft. :shrug:

There's quite a gap exposed when the ramps are raised

f-14a-ramp3.jpg

Here is the final configuration of the raised forward ramp. You can see the new filler panel extends ahead of the forward edge of the ramp--this would have been another gap in the as-designed configuration.

The hinge line is scribed; and sides are notched at the hinge point.

f-14a-ramp4.jpg

Here's the gap that would be present in the as-designed configuration

f-14a-ramp1.jpg

I still have to work on the rear ramp. I think I'll keep HB's ramp but the structure above the ramp needs work, including replacing HB's anemic rendition of the actuating cylinder.

• Like 6

Thanks @Col., @Thom216, and @Hewy. I'm trying hard.

The gap is surprising. I checked again to make sure I didn't miss something that caused the gap. Here's the step that builds the ramp.

HBIntakeRamps0.png

I've got all the parts accounted for.

And here's another step that shows the sides of the ramps are visible from above.

HBIntakeRamps1.png

If somebody is able to show that I did miss something, I'm all ears...well eyes.

Thanks for looking! :bye:

• Like 1

8 hours ago, dnl42 said:

If somebody is able to show that I did miss something, I'm all ears...well eyes.

I'm fairly sure that was Hobby Boss rather than you who made the mistake there ;)

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you for the comments and likes! :bye:

Work continues at my geologic pace. Here are the HB and Aires exhausts. My primary motivation for the resin were the nozzles
f-14a-nozzles.jpg

The engine tail section is also included, which is quite a bit different. The first thing is the diameter is much larger. The next point is it's longer; I've approximately aligned the two at the last stage fan

f-14a-exhaust0.jpg

HB provides complete engines with some details on the sides. I can understand the full length as it aligns the inlet and exhaust. But, there aren't any panels to open to show the side detail. No matter, I'll cut off the forward end just behind the inlet and graft in the tail section, which will require come care in alignment due to the larger diamter of the resin and the plastic spacer bits that need to be removed and the longer length. Further discovery is needed.

Here's a comparison of the interior detail

f-14a-exhaust4.jpg

The resin bit shown here is a little out of round; the other is fine. Not sure it will be visible, but I can used the closed  nozzle if there are any issues.

Perhaps I should change my name to "Missstttterrrr Slowwwww". :blink:

• Like 4

Nice work in correcting the intake ramps. Like you I do not understand why certain manufacturers do these full length engines when they cannot be seen at all when installed into their housings, especially when there is no external detail on them.

• Thanks 1

Not sure extending the resin parts with a section of the kit exhaust trunking will give you much visual benefit once the nozzels are fitted but hopefully it goes together smoothly for you.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Making progress on sub-assemblies.

The LG are done. The kit is missing some noticeable springs that I fabricated from 0.2mm lead wire.

f-14a-lg2.jpg

The nose LG also needed a spring, but that was completely scratched. I also used the 0.2mm lead wire for some hydraulic lines. Here are the completed legs painted white. Some color detail and wash is yet needed.

f-14a-lg6.jpg

The ducting is very complicated, with some 8 parts, including my filler part, making for many seams and joints. Fortunately, most of it is not really visible with the engine forward rotor in place. :whistle:

f-14a-lg3.jpg

The lower hull is getting there. I cut the engine just behind the forward rotor.

f-14a-lg7.jpg

I was initially worried about the resin tail pipe. But it seems I can just attach it to the rear-most exhaust fairing after the hull top is assembled. Easy peasy...

f-14a-lg4.jpg

All the stores and pylons are done. I'm going with fuel tanks, AIM-9, and AIM-54.

While it never rains in Southern California, it has been pouring of late, so not a lot of painting opportunities.:shrug:

Thanks for lookin. :bye:

• Like 3

I've grafted QB's ECM Beavertail for Tamiya onto the tail. As you can see on the right, there's quite a difference in fitment of the two parts. The first order of business was to remove the forward part of the HB part.

f-14a-beavertail4.jpg

While the overhanging length of the HB and QB/Tamiya beavertails are equal, you can see the HB beavertail was also wider. I don't know which is correct, but I needed to make the QB part for Tamiya fit. 

f-14a-beavertail2.jpg

As I wanted the airbrake closed, I also had to trim it for a better fit.

Here's the attached airbrake and reshaped ECM beavertail. I also added a filler to the hull bottom.

f-14a-beavertail5.jpg

• Like 2