what to do with B-17G interior doors

elger

Hello all,

I've started work on a late B-17G and having read through a lot of threads over the last decades about B-17 interior colours I've decided to paint all the doors on the inside a wood colour. So far so good. However, on some of the doors there are some details - for example on the door from the flight deck to the bomb bay there is a detail, but also on the door between the radio operator's section to the rear fuselage/ball turret area. See part #22 on this Eduard PE sheet:

bRTANiP.jpg

The question, as you might have guessed is, what is going on with the door there? The actual PE part is solid, but does the detail represent a window? What about the door from the flightdeck to the bomb bay - some kind of placard?

Any insight about this is welcome!

Hello!

May be familiar to you but do photos on this site help any?:

https://inchhighguy.wordpress.com/2019/09/11/b-17-flying-fortress-interior-colors-part-i/

I have very hard time to believe any wood or plywood part was really left unfinished. Certainly the edge grain was sealed at least with clear spar varnish or something. Nothing will really prevent moisture ingress to the wood, but at least one can try to slow it. Would love to see Boeing documentation on the topic.

Cheers,

Kari

• Thanks 1

There was a sheet of armour plate bolted to the door between the flight deck and the bomb bay which would have been bronze green, as were the sheets of armour plate which were fitted to the pilots' seats. In our museum we've got two armour sections from a local B-17G crash site. Unfortunately I can't find a photo of the door armour in situ so I'm not sure which side of the door it was fitted. Otherwise the wooden parts were clear varnished.

• Like 1

I was once told by a B-17 Veteran that all the interior doors were removed from every Fortress he ever flew on at Snetterton Heath with the 96thBG. 

The wood doors were more valuable else where on the ground and not only slowed down any emergency egress from the aircraft but created extra crew dangers in that they would generally splinter and explode if hit by enemy Flak shrapnel or heavy calibre 20/30mm rounds. 

Edited by mungo1974
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, mungo1974 said:

I was once told by a B-17 Veteran that all the interior doors were removed from every Fortress he ever flew on at Snetterton Heath with the 96thBG. 

The wood doors were more valuable else where on the ground and not only slowed down any emergency egress from the aircraft but created extra crew dangers in that they would generally splinter and explode if hit by enemy Flak shrapnel or heavy calibre 20/30mm rounds. 

I remember reading about this as well, some years ago, but couldn't find it anymore. Thanks for suggestion.

2 hours ago, elger said:

The wood doors were more valuable else where on the ground

That was certainly true of 8th AF bomber and fighter units, where crates that housed replacement engines as well as other large aircraft parts were used to make desks, beds, and in some  cases, shelters for mechanics, armorers, and radio technicians  from the cold, wet English weather while working on their charges. Necessity being the mother  of invention...

Mike

8 hours ago, elger said:

some useful suggestions, thanks! maybe @tomprobert has an idea?

@Ivor Ramsden is absolutely correct. Armour plate (if it remained fitted) was on the cockpit side of the flight deck door, which would have been in natural wood with clear lacquer. More often than not, however, the doors were removed when in service as others have mentioned.

Tom

• Like 1

I guess, everything not realy neccessary was removed from the aircraft also to save weight! And ensure to see home again! Just consider this fact! On the other hand, consider a bale out and getting stucked somewhere!

Happy modelling